Preview Geelong v Richmond 2020 Grand Final Sat Oct 24 @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came to the board to post a genuine good luck message, was met with a comment comparing our style to that of Auskick which is pretty laughable. There's plenty of differences between Richmond football style & Auskick but again, good luck to you guys and let's see which style of play holds up when the heat is on.

Name three...

:cool:

Seriously, though, I've never understood why posters feel the need to head off to the opposition club's board for a word (particularly in GF week), in some sort of faux marker of mutual respect. And, as for genuinely wishing us 'good luck', just think about that for a moment. Are you really suggesting you'd be pleased if a kick from Lynch to win the game bounces at right angles and goes out of play, thereby delivering us both incredible 'good luck' and the victory? It's utter nonsense to suggest you're truly wishing us 'good luck' when you consider what that would actually look like in the context of the game.

So you'll need to park this concept of mutual respect until after the final siren, I believe. Till then, Cats supporters here are going to talk up our chances, and consequently dismiss the supposedly 'all-conquering' aura that currently exists around the Tigers. Simple as that.

If we get done by your mob again on the weekend, that will be acknowledged (by me, at least) as an amazing achievement by your crew. I won't be suggesting it's 'undeserved' or anything like that.

In the end, though, even if you want to get all prickly about the 'laughable' Auskick comparison, it appears very true to me that plenty of footy fans currently respect your team's achievements without ever wanting to remotely replicate their 'style' of play. That to me speaks volumes about how brutally effective (while fairly close to unwatchable) your game plan has been these last few years.

Anyway, I really don't know what you expect us to do here. Give your mob stacks of credit and say how much we admire them? The very fact you seem put out that we're not all just pumping your boys up and talking about how much we wish we played like them suggests you have a level of insecurity about just how much your club has contributed to seeing the aesthetics of footy collapse into what better resembles a perpetual rolling maul.

Just embrace what you are, I say. The ultimate exponents of 'uber mugby', clear champions at eschewing style for system and skill for sustained soccering.

Winners are grinners, remember. It doesn't matter 'how', just 'how many?' So, if you get there again on Saturday, surely earning the respect of some 'jealous' fans of the club you knocked off will be the least of your worries.

Last edited:
I came in the preview thread vs Brissy and told you that you blokes would win if you backed up. You backed up indeed, and put in a very good performance.

Wasted opportunities too, could've sealed that game much earlier.

I can smell a 2008 style ambush here.

IMO the 3 keys for Geelong this week are
-Land a punch early. Like a fight, you must make your opponent respect you. If you come out and kick some early goals, put the pressure on the tigers and most importantly put the seed of doubt in the Richmond player's minds, it's game on. Fail to do so and you will be up against it, Richmond are almost unstoppable when they are up and about.

-Get Hawkins on the lead, I swear to f*ck if I have to watch you guys kicking long high balls on top of Hawkins' head and continually watch Astbury, Grimes, Vlaustin and co easily rolling off their men to help out I'll spew up. Hawkins is so instrumental to your chances here. He is exceptional on the lead and is so effective inside forward 50, but if you allow Richmond to wait on a deep entry instead of Getting hawkins on the lead right up near the 50m arc you are going to make life very hard for yourselves. Make Balta defend Hawkins 1 on 1, last time you played Richmond the other richmond defenders were having a field day intercepting and spoiling these entries.

-Have the best midfield in the comp play like the best midfield in the comp. A team with Dangerfield, Duncan, Selwood, Ablett, Menengola, Guthrie all playing through the midfield should be at worst even in the contest. You cannot tell me that is not the most talented midfield group going around. You have the troops right there to win the footy at the coalface a majority of the time and give you enough opportunities as a team to go forward and score. I know Ablett plays majority forward but I would've thought considering this is his last game there is no need to be conservative with him whatsoever. I would almost expect Ablett to play like 30-35% midfield time, but I wouldn't really know.

I was thinking about throwing GAJ on-ball actually. He's played mainly forward as the club knew he wouldnt be able to get 30 disp. per game through the season anymore. But what about just 1 game?

Would definitely be a curveball but you probably don't want to mess with a winning formula. Something to keep in mind I guess.

We are bringing huge momentum and confidence into this one - arguably we have played our best 2 games over the last 2 weeks, unlike other Finals campaigns where we seemed to be tapering off.
Tigers are battle hardened and will be extremely difficult to beat if they get the game on their terms.
We seem to have added quicker ball movement forward of centre whist the Tigers became clearance monsters against Power - not so subtle changes from two great coaches.

There are many aspects to this game but there are IMO two non negotiables if we are to win :
> Win contested possession - this is our brand and we rarely lose if we meet this KPI
> Disrupt Tigers ball movement from D50 - this is how they normally score and have torched us in the past.

I think we can exploit Nankervis if he is the sole ruck as Stanley/Blitz/Hawk will work him over , it's a win if they play Chol as a second ruck.
Critical we get the same great output from our mids as this will allow Danger to be a threat up forward and spread their defence.

Above all I hope we settle quickly and restore our normal GABBA accuracy in front of goal - and another 27 scoring shots would be most welcome :p
Go You Good Things !!!

momentum is the biggest thing in football
We start well and hopefully run away with it

Name three...

:cool:

Seriously, though, I've never understood why posters feel the need to head off to the opposition club's board (particularly in GF week), in some sort of faux marker of mutual respect. And, as for genuinely wishing us 'good luck', just think about that for a moment. Are you really suggesting you'd be pleased if a kick from Lynch to win the game bounces at right angles and goes out of play, thereby delivering us both incredible 'good luck' and the victory. It's utter nonsense to suggest you're truly wishing us 'good luck' when you consider what that would actually look like in the context of the game.

So you'll need to park this concept of mutual respect until after the final siren, I believe. Till then, Cats supporters here are going to talk up our chances, and consequently dismiss the supposedly 'all-conquering' aura that currently exists around the Tigers. Simple as that.

If we get done by your mob again on the weekend, that will be acknowledged (by me, at least) as an amazing achievement by your crew. I won't be suggesting it's 'undeserved' or anything like that.

In the end, though, even if you want to get all prickly about the 'laughable' Auskick comparison, it appears very true to me that plenty of footy fans currently respect your team's achievements without ever wanting to remotely replicate their 'style' of play. That to me speaks volumes about how brutally effective (while fairly close to unwatchable) your game plan has been these last few years.

Anyway, I really don't know what you expect us to do here. Give your mob stacks of credit and say how much we admire them? The very fact you seem put out that we're not all just pumping your boys up and talking about how much we wish we played like them suggests you have a level of insecurity about just how much your club has contributed to seeing the aesthetics of footy collapse into what better resembles a perpetual rolling maul.

Just embrace what you are, I say. The ultimate exponents of 'uber mugby', clear champions at eschewing style for system and skill for sustained soccering.

Winners are grinners, remember. It doesn't matter 'how', just 'how many?' If you get there again on Saturday, surely earning the respect of some 'jealous' fans of the club you knocked off will be the least of your worries.

You are absolutely correct, I was casting the line to see which nuffies wanted to take the bait so that I know which ones to give it to after we slaughter your mob on Saturday.

Geelong's game style looks great, pure & beautiful. Until the screws are turned and it all goes to s**t as we've seen time and time before.

Come Saturday there will be Chris Scott tears.

Go Tigers

You are absolutely correct, I was casting the line to see which nuffies wanted to take the bait so that I know which ones to give it to after we slaughter your mob on Saturday.

Geelong's game style looks great, pure & beautiful. Until the screws are turned and it all goes to sh*t as we've seen time and time before.

Come Saturday there will be Chris Scott tears.

Go Tigers
To quote a previous message of yours "I came to the board to post a genuine good luck message"

Since you seem to have moved on from that I strongly recommend you take your fishing expedition elsewhere and return to the Tigers board

Stanley and Nankervis is a key match-up. Stanley's return to side in good form has made a big difference, particularly at ground level.

Stanley should theoretically be too athletic for Nankervis but I have learned this Nankervis is not easily beaten in the big games.

He really took over in the Prelim last year and did it again last week against two very good opponents.

I respect Nankervis, very underrated player.
He can’t run in the heat. The Tigers almost added Chol last week bc Nank just had no go and became less effective. Surprised that Dimma frankly admitted that pre Port game.

The rain helped the decision to ruck him solo as it meant less running and he could get behind the ball.

Hopefully it’s dry as I think he will be cooked by 3 qrt time chasing around Blitz and Stanley. We have to win the clearances esp the centre ones to have any chance realistically.

To quote a previous message of yours "I came to the board to post a genuine good luck message"

Since you seem to have moved on from that I strongly recommend you take your fishing expedition elsewhere and return to the Tigers board
I was happier to see the Hawks supporter in here.
2020 got me like

I was happier to see the Hawks supporter in here.
2020 got me like

At least you can have a civil conversation with a Hawks supporter. Don't know about anyone else, but IMO although I don't really like Hawthorn, there is a level of respect there as well. Can't say the same about Richmond.

At least you can have a civil conversation with a Hawks supporter. Don't know about anyone else, but IMO although I don't really like Hawthorn, there is a level of respect there as well. Can't say the same about Richmond.
You know who surprises me the most? Pies supporters.
Know some horror shows in real life, but on the board they tend to hold themselves to a high level. Theres always exceptions, but in that space it's likely I'm a 'knob Geelong supporter' myself.
Would never go to another clubs board to get a rise though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh. That was quick lol

He probably thought we were going to turn a blind eye to his indiscretions like Michael Christian does to their players' indiscretions. Doesn't work like that though I'm afraid.

One of my good mates at work was a Hawks supporter - needless to say 2013, 14 & 15 were a little frustrating, but we always had a fair bet going, loser bought the winner a pint (and on work time ;))

This match is classic David v Goliath, good v evil battle., AFL v Geelong FC, biggest club in the land v a regional club.

I suspect however that tigers will win and win comfortably. Which will be sad for humanity that is desperate for good news. That good guys can win in the end and karma is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Hate to be a pedant, but think the Eagles have more members (just).

Come Saturday there will be Chris Scott Chris Scott tears.
I think we'd all shed a tear when he holds up the cup on the dias come Saturday. He's not faux tough like Dimma or Lynch that's for sure.

Can someone give me solid reasons why the August (?) game v Richmond where they dismantled us with their pressure wont happen again?
My take -

1. We were in red hot form for a month before the game and looked to be coming down during the Essendon game (they missed easy goals in the first to really challenge us.

2. We were very Hawkins reliant at that time.

3. Heap of players missing.

4. We were as flat as ive seen all year. Could be due to the short break, may have caught up to us.

5. I remember watching it and in the last quarter we threw absolutely everything at them. I can’t see us waiting until the last quarter again.

The main reason is, In my view we look to be peaking right now. We are very very hot and I believe from start to finish we will throw absolutely everything at them. Will we win? I honestly don’t know. But I’m very confident we won’t play like that again on Saturday.

We are moving the ball quicker and with confidence. We are playing so different right now.
What I saw on Saturday night was a very very hungry Confident team in absolute white hot form who has belief.

Last edited:
Can someone give me solid reasons why the August (?) game v Richmond where they dismantled us with their pressure wont happen again?
1. 4 day break vs 9 day break
2. No Stanley
3. No Rohan
4. No Selwood
5. No Gaz
6. Our forward line was Hawkins and a few inexperienced smalls (Jarvis and Close).
7. Sav wasn't dangerous enough which meant his man could 3rd man all night
8. We weren't lowering our eyes going into F50. On the couch showed some replays where we had guys free that in the past month we would've kicked to but we weren't confident enough to do so back then.

Before the richmond game, we had perfected the balance between keepings off footy and quick transition footy. I don't know if it was personnel and structure changes, or if we were knackered, but we just didn't take the game on like we had been against essendon, port, brisbane etc earlier in the year. That form continued into the Sydney game and to an extent, the Port game, but each was an improvement on the last. Finally with Collingwood and Brisbane we've almost ridden the trough and then come back up to the peak again. Hopefully Saturday is the peak, otherwise it'd be a bloody waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back