Preview Geelong v Richmond 2020 Grand Final Sat Oct 24 @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did I miss this?!

"
So much so, that last week against the Lions he was also able to enjoy a more light-hearted moment as the cameras captured the defender listening in as Brisbane's forwards set up their plan in a huddle. Although he's unsure how successful that attempt was.

"I didn't hear a thing but I pretended like I did. That was just to annoy the forwards a small bit, but I didn't actually pick up anything. They noticed and they gave me a bit of a smack afterwards as well, so I felt that," he said."

Bit of the Stevie J's there!

Also, proposing the hashtag #DoingItForDingle
I know right - wondering when it happened as that's the first I've heard of it

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
How did I miss this?!

"
So much so, that last week against the Lions he was also able to enjoy a more light-hearted moment as the cameras captured the defender listening in as Brisbane's forwards set up their plan in a huddle. Although he's unsure how successful that attempt was.

"I didn't hear a thing but I pretended like I did. That was just to annoy the forwards a small bit, but I didn't actually pick up anything. They noticed and they gave me a bit of a smack afterwards as well, so I felt that," he said."

I saw that, it was quick. Great insight into the guy's character. :thumbsu:

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
How did I miss this?!

"

Dingle is really ******* lovely town. Love MOC more knowing he's from there.

#doitfordingle

evolutionbaby

Club Legend
Jun 15, 2015
Koo Wee Rup
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
I haven't read every post so there is a risk I maybe repeating a similiar.
A curve ball of GAJ starting in the middle for the first 10 mins with Danger forward.
Reason 1: Shock value.
Reason 2: The inherent instinct over 350+ games to find the ball under pressure.
Reason 3: The ability to take the best option accurately with it. i.e. find the right handball, find the right kick.

To me this game is about risk and reward.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
If we win this, it's quite an outlier compared to other premierships - defence wise. Attack wise puts us more in the mid-2000s vein of attacking footy - that's nice to see

Screenshot_20201022-010312.png

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
A curve ball of GAJ starting in the middle for the first 10 mins with Danger forward.
Reason 2: The inherent instinct over 350+ games to find the ball under pressure.
Reason 3: The ability to take the best option accurately with it. i.e. find the right handball, find the right kick.

Don't think anyone would be surprised to see Danger start forward. Ablett would be a bit of a shock I suppose, but we'll see what happens. Would prefer having him on the outside delivering inside 50.

Richmond seem to get it and just bomb it forward from the center. It's going to be interesting!

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.

Only thing I don't want to see is Blitz starting on a wing.

tomthabuddah1

Senior List
Jun 14, 2018
UK
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’ve felt we’ve been beaten up at the ball and the man the last few games against Richmond - whose going to be our junk yard dog? I’d love to see 2E get dirty.

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong

I don't mind it. Centre bounces involve a fair bit of luck sometimes.
GAJ is a lucky player because he reads it so well so often. Wouldn't like him playing on ball past that, but I like the idea for the opening bounce

Is someone cutting onions in here? Russell Jackson's article on Gary

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Brilliant read.

this part is despicable:

Much was written about Ablett's eventual campaign to return home to Geelong, but it can be summarised quickly: even if it meant giving up a seven-figure salary, Ablett wanted to leave; the Suns wouldn't let him. Only those involved know the full picture, but for his efforts putting Gold Coast on the football map, and his unimpeachable status as a football role model, Ablett was treated shabbily in his final two years.

At the end of the 2016 season, with Ablett contracted to the club for another year, his manager Liam Pickering flew to the Gold Coast and called a meeting with the Suns. Among the agenda items was Ablett's need to be closer to family as his sister Natasha's health spiralled. Ablett and Pickering didn't need to sit down to guess the answer: neither the coach nor the CEO of the Suns turned up, leaving underlings to brush off the club's greatest asset.

So, Ablett pulled on his boots and played out the remainder of his deal. Injuries permitted 14 games in 2017, as they had the season before. Sadly, a glittering career was petering out, and another trade week stalemate beckoned. In the final minutes, an impasse that would have resulted in Ablett's immediate retirement was finally overcome, and he was sent back to Geelong in exchange for draft picks.

A week before that deal was struck, Natasha Ablett lost her battle.

He put GCFC on the map, he was the one beaming light in that dump and they treat him with such disrespect as to send the underlings. * the Suns

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Really don't see us doing this, midfields flying and Ablett got exposed in there 12 months ago with a better fitness base behind him...

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
Apologies if already posted, but this is the best in-depth preview of the game going around. 52 minutes discussing the tactics, roles, match-ups and form. No fluff about destiny or narrative.
Thoroughly recommend it.
Really interesting discussion of Blicavs role, amongst a lot of other insight.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Brilliant read.

this part is despicable:

Much was written about Ablett's eventual campaign to return home to Geelong, but it can be summarised quickly: even if it meant giving up a seven-figure salary, Ablett wanted to leave; the Suns wouldn't let him. Only those involved know the full picture, but for his efforts putting Gold Coast on the football map, and his unimpeachable status as a football role model, Ablett was treated shabbily in his final two years.

At the end of the 2016 season, with Ablett contracted to the club for another year, his manager Liam Pickering flew to the Gold Coast and called a meeting with the Suns. Among the agenda items was Ablett's need to be closer to family as his sister Natasha's health spiralled. Ablett and Pickering didn't need to sit down to guess the answer: neither the coach nor the CEO of the Suns turned up, leaving underlings to brush off the club's greatest asset.

So, Ablett pulled on his boots and played out the remainder of his deal. Injuries permitted 14 games in 2017, as they had the season before. Sadly, a glittering career was petering out, and another trade week stalemate beckoned. In the final minutes, an impasse that would have resulted in Ablett's immediate retirement was finally overcome, and he was sent back to Geelong in exchange for draft picks.

A week before that deal was struck, Natasha Ablett lost her battle.

He put GCFC on the map, he was the one beaming light in that dump and they treat him with such disrespect as to send the underlings. fu** the Suns
Why did he sign a new contract if he was treated so badly there. He really should have packed up and left before he did.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve felt we’ve been beaten up at the ball and the man the last few games against Richmond - whose going to be our junk yard dog?

No doubt biggest risk to us not being competitive on Saturday is our mids getting spooked at the contest when the Tigers get rough.

Big question marks on the likes of Menegola, Guthrie, Duncan.

Is it the fluro yellow that makes them look super creepy?
They always look like that creepy kid at school, who was a snitch + would go running to the teacher. He’d torment a cat + bawl when he was scratched. Then became a prefect in high school. Was refused by the Army + Police, so ended up in a dead end job + snooped on his neighbours.

Tigers gave Gil a massive hard time hubwise. Cats have been lauded as one of the best tenants. Surely Gil won't want a Tiger's win.
All Gilligan is interested in, is money. Richmond is a huge club, which will generate lots of $$$ for him.
Geelong is only medium in size. Plus, we’ve constantly defied the equalisation strategy. We don’t play the way Gilligan wants his game played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back