Preview Geelong V Richmond at MCG Sun Jul 25 @ 320 pm - Rd 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Geelong play their home game at their opponents home ground...seems fair..

So theres no crowd so that decision wasnt a financial one..so what was the basis for rejecting Geelong's request to play their home game at their home ground?
Have we heard an official AFL explanation, not some reporter’s spin?

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
Honestly, I can’t wait for us to smash the Tuggers on the MCG. No excuses when we end their season. Hopefully Merrick goes to Cotchin and finishes his career. And sooky sooky Jack has had his one good gampr the month, so expect Henry to make him his bitch. Finally, I’m Excited to Sav break the shackles and kick 7 against this rabble. It will be a glorious day!

Because the AFL have to play a certain number of games at the ground every year. So other clubs get $ to play elsewhere and Geelong loose their home games as a consequence and lose $ in the process. And the AFL say it is a level playing field.
That is so far from the truth it is pathetic and farcical.
All teams should play each other twice, or once only, a year.
If twice, each team to get a home and away venue.
If once, to reverse the home and away venues in alternate years. So MCG one year, Geelong home game the next year for Tigers, Hawks etc.
There is simply no other way to derive equity.
Even during a season like we have now, and last year, surely each team should play each team once before we get the crazy situation that teams have played some teams twice before they have played each team, amidst the possibility of season longterm interruptions with Covid restrictions.
22 new cases in Melbourne.
Lockdown in Sydney expected now until end August.
And garbage about the AFL needing certain games at the G each year- that was thrown out the window completely last year- the precedent has been set.
There is absolutely no justification for Geelong playing the home game v Tigers at the G this week.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Honestly, I can’t wait for us to smash the Tuggers on the MCG. No excuses when we end their season. Hopefully Merrick goes to Cotchin and finishes his career. And sooky sooky Jack has had his one good gampr the month, so expect Henry to make him his b*tch. Finally, I’m Excited to Sav break the shackles and kick 7 against this rabble. It will be a glorious day!
Hahah this degree of confidence makes me very, very nervous.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Honestly, I can’t wait for us to smash the Tuggers on the MCG. No excuses when we end their season. Hopefully Merrick goes to Cotchin and finishes his career. And sooky sooky Jack has had his one good gampr the month, so expect Henry to make him his b*tch. Finally, I’m Excited to Sav break the shackles and kick 7 against this rabble. It will be a glorious day!
He'd have broken the shackles alright 26 shots on goal WOW!

That is so far from the truth it is pathetic and farcical.
All teams should play each other twice, or once only, a year.
If twice, each team to get a home and away venue.
If once, to reverse the home and away venues in alternate years. So MCG one year, Geelong home game the next year for Tigers, Hawks etc.
There is simply no other way to derive equity.
Even during a season like we have now, and last year, surely each team should play each team once before we get the crazy situation that teams have played some teams twice before they have played each team, amidst the possibility of season longterm interruptions with Covid restrictions.
22 new cases in Melbourne.
Lockdown in Sydney expected now until end August.
And garbage about the AFL needing certain games at the G each year- that was thrown out the window completely last year- the precedent has been set.
There is absolutely no justification for Geelong playing the home game v Tigers at the G this week.
Do you think the cats are the best team in it this year? Can you Name a better team in 2021?

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Cats scores at MCG this year.
69, 60, 126, 61, 70.
No Jez in 3 of the 4 low scoring games.
Yes the tigers game is the outlier but if we don’t score more than 80 this week it’s a tad worrying I would’ve thought.
I think it’s time to pour a little bit of milk in your glass so it’s more half full than half empty.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Cats scores at MCG this year.
69, 60, 126, 61, 70.
No Jez in 3 of the 4 low scoring games.
Yes the tigers game is the outlier but if we don’t score more than 80 this week it’s a tad worrying I would’ve thought.

No Sav, Jez, Rohan, Danger, Miers or Close, in 2 of those 4, to be fair. We were missing basically our entire forward line at the start of the year, and had Henry and Clark playing forward, with Hawk our only realistic target as a consistent forward. It makes a huge difference when you actually ya know, have a forward line, haha

The Collingwood game is always a low scoring sh*tfest, so that doesn't bother me either, given how inaccurate both teams were

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is that the same reason why we play Richmond at the MCG?

I agree if we are good enough we should win anywhere but why give the opposition such an unfair and unjustifiable advantage?

The problem is us having any games there at all. I don’t care how big the crowd might be against collingwood or richmond, we should demand our home games at our home ground no matter what. If we concede one or 2 games to the mcg for money then we are just giving them justification to screw us over when circumstances change like now. We need to be stronger on this, and say we will not accept any home games anywhere else. I don’t care if it’s against any high drawing team, force them to play here. Stuff them.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
So who goes out of the side for Hendo if he's back this week? I notice Ling on To the Final Bell said he likes the Blicavs and Ratugolea combination in the ruck and that he "loves" Sav in the ruck. That's probably enough to give a few people on here conniptions! But I tend to agree with him that the Blitz-Sav option is our best combination for the ruck (assuming Fort is out of the question..) which would mean Stanley misses out, and more importantly that Hendo gives us more composure, better ball use and a bit more attacking drive down back than Blitz. Also, I know Higgins has improved a bit since coming back, but I still don't think he's doing enough that should keep the younger guys like Narkle and even Holmes out - I would include Simpson in that category too though he obviously still needs some time for match readiness.

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem is us having any games there at all. I don’t care how big the crowd might be against collingwood or richmond, we should demand our home games at our home ground no matter what. If we concede one or 2 games to the mcg for money then we are just giving them justification to screw us over when circumstances change like now. We need to be stronger on this, and say we will not accept any home games anywhere else. I don’t care if it’s against any high drawing team, force them to play here. Stuff them.
Yep. This looks like a good, plain language, summary of the club's position.

Do you think the cats are the best team in it this year? Can you Name a better team in 2021?
Which week?
At some stages this year, our best is great- eg v Tigers, Freo, WCE
But we were poor v Lions.
What are the circumstances?
Right now, the top 4 is the top 4, and we are in it.
I'll be happy to reassess at the end of rd 22.
Winning this week is crucial, and not an easy task.

Last edited:
Alastair Lynch tipping cats for flag. Cats are flavor of the week it seems.
This season so far, we've had as favourites- Tigers, Demons, Bulldogs, Port, Lions, Cats.
Who knows how far the Swans can go. Are they the 93 Baby Bombers?
People are very reactive. A loss here or there and all favouritism goes out the door.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
So who goes out of the side for Hendo if he's back this week? I notice Ling on To the Final Bell said he likes the Blicavs and Ratugolea combination in the ruck and that he "loves" Sav in the ruck. That's probably enough to give a few people on here conniptions! But I tend to agree with him that the Blitz-Sav option is our best combination for the ruck (assuming Fort is out of the question..) which would mean Stanley misses out, and more importantly that Hendo gives us more composure, better ball use and a bit more attacking drive down back than Blitz. Also, I know Higgins has improved a bit since coming back, but I still don't think he's doing enough that should keep the younger guys like Narkle and even Holmes out - I would include Simpson in that category too though he obviously still needs some time for match readiness.
Stanley has a better record than Blits against Nankervis, my preferred option would be Stanley and Blits in the ruck but that holds the risk of one of Lynch or Jack getting off the chain,I think all of Stanley Blits and Esava play this week if Henderson returns it could be at the expense of Kolo.

Stanley has a better record than Blits against Nankervis, my preferred option would be Stanley and Blits in the ruck but that holds the risk of one of Lynch or Jack getting off the chain,I think all of Stanley Blits and Esava play this week if Henderson returns it could be at the expense of Kolo.

Henry did a great job on Riewoldt last time - goes straight to him to resume that battle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back