Preview Geelong v Richmond, Friday 11 September 7:50pm @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch. Cannot agree on Jenkins as spakfiller. He can blow games apart, and has been living in Harry's head for years.
So does Steven, but he too will struggle to break in this year.
I am not sure how GAJ and Selwood will slot in but they will.

Mate I don't like the style, I'm not saying you're no good. Just unwatchable in my view.
Wouldn't take Hockings decisions so personally, lots of criticism of the game in general and 6 6 6 was an attempt to free the game up in general. Similar things trialled in u18s prior to introduction in AFL, I dont think hocking is out to personally stop Richmond. Richmond being successful is good for football.
Yep it's been a roaring success. Especially the increase in scoring. I put it up there with the nominating a ruckman as the rule change of the century so far. All these rule changes have made the game so much better as a spectacle. Wouldn't you agree ?

Oh that's right, I forgot the ratings success which Shocko bases his decisions on. Because that's the most important thing after all.

I'm just saying, you don't think Tom's worth supporting, then these tough games and finals will always find us out as has been the case for many years.
Maybe we want to re invent the game or something l don't get it.
I'd be supporting my best forward no questions.

This is something I posted the other day and it relates to the structural changes we started to see come the Freo match - dropped the dedicated second tall forward to play a ruck who goes forward, Blicavs moved to the wing & second ruck role, while Hendo came into the team:

At the very basics, through to round 7 we averaged 71.71 points per game and 61.43 points against per game

Since round 8 (Freo match) when we made changes we've averaged 78.88 points per game, while the average points against is down to 43.88 points per game

The differential is +7.16 points per game, and -17.55 points per game - those numbers indicate that what we're doing seems to be working, so is there a valid reason to change it?

And "but Hawkins needs support" isn't a valid reason when he has support under this current structure. Since the structural change, this is the support from others who have popped up at various times across those 8 games:

Rohan: 11 goals, missed the match against North in round 10
Miers: 10 goals
Stanley: 4 goals in the 5 matches been injury issues
Duncan: 7 goals
Dahlhaus: 3 goals since returning 3 matches ago

Got bored going through the players - it's just a very even performance with different players stepping up

Ratugolea may well be a really decent player in the future, but if we are going to change a working structure for a player who's kicked 3 goals this season (1 against each of Demons, Suns & Lions), then that reeks of desperation, and also not sure how much it would actually assist Hawkins - if the opposition doesn't deem him to actually be a genuine threat, his opponent will just drop off him anyway

Ratugolea may well be a really decent player in the future, but if we are going to change a working structure for a player who's kicked 3 goals this season (1 against each of Demons, Suns & Lions), then that reeks of desperation, and also not sure how much it would actually assist Hawkins - if the opposition doesn't deem him to actually be a genuine threat, his opponent will just drop off him anyway
Sav playing ruck because we don't have Stanley is a good choice imo (over Jenkins, assuming Fort not available)

Sav playing 2nd tall in the current structure isn't good for us. 100% agree, he becomes an easy matchup for a player like McGovern who can drop off and intercept the ball

Yep it's been a roaring success. Especially the increase in scoring. I put it up there with the nominating a ruckman as the rule change of the century so far. All these rule changes have made the game so much better as a spectacle. Wouldn't you agree ?

Oh that's right, I forgot the ratings success which Shocko bases his decisions on. Because that's the most important thing after all.
Every other team plays by the same rules don't they? Honestly, this is a bit embarrassing for you. Are you really making excuses for your season already?

The downturn in performance hasn't got anything to do with your club captain threatening to go home because his missus got caught breaking the rules? Or the same group of leaders threatening not to go in the first place? Or that kebab incident where your injured players broke the rules, got pissed while in rehab, and then picked a fight they couldn't win?

Really? It's the insider plant we have manipulating the rules to bring your club down. The problem with Richmond supporters, and now it seems their players too, is that they think rules don't apply to them, or that they apply to no one else - when it is convenient of course.

Just get Dimma to ring up Gil and have a whinge about the umpires or something. That might fix your issues.

What? I didn't say it worked, I was just saying I dont think Steve Hocking is personally trying to stop Richmond and that's the sole basis for these changes??
Whether they've worked or not is a different debate but the logic behind them was trying to open the game up, not some personnel vendetta. As I said, they were trialled in other leagues prior to any introduction to the AFL.

Don't see the fuss over the 2nd key forward tomorrow. Assuming the midfield is even if we play our short kicking game well going inside 50 we will expose their defenders who love to drop off and intercept and aren't great 1 v1 we will win the game. If we bomb it in like we sometimes do they will intercept mark and score off turnover (which is basically their gameplan) and we will lose. Either way having a 2nd key forward won't make any difference.

Don't see the fuss over the 2nd key forward tomorrow. Assuming the midfield is even if we play our short kicking game well going inside 50 we will expose their defenders who love to drop off and intercept and aren't great 1 v1 we will win the game. If we bomb it in like we sometimes do they will intercept mark and score off turnover (which is basically their gameplan) and we will lose. Either way having a 2nd key forward won't make any difference.
What will be interesting is to see whether they are game - in this match - to try the obvious counter-attack to our steady build-up and advance in waves, namely full field man on man; or whether, like everyone else, they are saving it for the finals.

Possibly the latter, given the heavy toll it takes on both physical and mental effort and discipline, particularly in a season where teams aren't at optimum endurance fitness.

I would also be interested to see what our plan is to counter-counter this obvious counter when we encounter it.

This is something I posted the other day and it relates to the structural changes we started to see come the Freo match - dropped the dedicated second tall forward to play a ruck who goes forward, Blicavs moved to the wing & second ruck role, while Hendo came into the team:

At the very basics, through to round 7 we averaged 71.71 points per game and 61.43 points against per game

Since round 8 (Freo match) when we made changes we've averaged 78.88 points per game, while the average points against is down to 43.88 points per game

The differential is +7.16 points per game, and -17.55 points per game - those numbers indicate that what we're doing seems to be working, so is there a valid reason to change it?

And "but Hawkins needs support" isn't a valid reason when he has support under this current structure. Since the structural change, this is the support from others who have popped up at various times across those 8 games:

Rohan: 11 goals, missed the match against North in round 10
Miers: 10 goals
Stanley: 4 goals in the 5 matches been injury issues
Duncan: 7 goals
Dahlhaus: 3 goals since returning 3 matches ago

Got bored going through the players - it's just a very even performance with different players stepping up

What would the MC be desperate about? Their methods and results have been top shelf this year. Any support for Hawkins does not necessarily have to produce goals. Even just having a tall marking option as a decoy and as a player that needs guarding can destroy the Tigers own form of chaos that they inflict on other teams. Last year final v WCE, the Hawk Sav combo was superb. A week later it broke down because Hawk was not there to support Sav, a ship without a rudder. But that would have to be on their minds; we looked lethal.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate we've kicked our highest scores over the last 3-4 seasons playing 2 tall forwards, we've struggled kicking goals going to small that's a proven stat.
This looks dangerous to me now, where as l thought before when Jenkins would play foward, l thought we'd win.

Hahaha Ratcat even crows fans at his peak didn't love and obsess over Jenkins this much. He is an average player these days. His return to playing was average and poor as a ruckman. Granted he hasn't played for a long time but so what he's not a ruckman so he gets dropped for a better one.

As for your assertion about us scoring better with a certain set up I make a few points.

1. What the * has the last 3 or 4 years got to do with how we set up best now.

2. It is completely irrelevant how this side set up and played 12 months ago and becomes less relevant than that the longer you go back.

3. What we do know is we didn't get it done at the business end over the last few years and more often than not our forward line has been a problem.

4. What we also know is we have looked the most fluid at the back end of this season with the set up we are using tomorrow night.

5. This is no doubt due to more factors than simply 1 key forward and Rohan or 2 key forwards and Rohan but that has been a factor.

Do yourself a favour and let Jenkins go. He is clouding your otherwise sound judgement way too much.

If ratings were the driver of decisions, I doubt he'd give Richmond a leg up each year by scheduling Carlton as the first game of the season.

That's what l'm taking about 1 tall forward he's got no hope.
Tom Hawkins will be no1 priority and the smalls will get bullied.
It's just so stupid and disappointing we're finished before we start the finals.

Hahaha this is the greatest overreaction I have seen on this board and it is in some elite company. Because we aren't playing jenkins and sticking with a formula that has taken us from probably 5th favs to equal favs for the flag (Including winning six on the bounce) our season is now over!!! Just take a moment to read what you wrote. It is crazy under any logical analysis.

One thing I don’t wanna see tomorrow night is a Geelong player have a shot at goal and it be marked by a tiger in the goal square all on his own. Nothing more frustrating.

I don't think the melts over Sav / Jenkins are really justified. I think it probably speaks to how nervous we all are about another finals capitulation. Sav isn't a great player right now but he offers as much as Jenkins, given the fact he hasn't played in years. Might as well give him a run around in the wet. It probably minimises the amount of damage he can do to us?

Mate if you think Hawkins can beat 2 or 3 blokes then you deserve a rinse and repeat final series.
Visit their board they're all saying "if we can stop Hawkins we will beat Geelong."
And the rest will fold, and it's true... the smalls will fold.

Firstly I never seen someone so brilliantly avoid the points that were contradicting his. Like the ones about how brilliant we have been in the second half of the season with that set up. However leaving that to one side for the moment. If you are now using THE RICHMOND BOARD to justify your position it's game over!!!

We are simply in a good space. Cats are playing better, and more well timed than I've seen them in years. We genuinely have a crack at it this year, and I dont think Scott plays strategic. He has his flaws, sometimes I think they are huge flaws, but I'm feeling optimistic about it this year.
He has put his best team out there to win tomorrow and I can only back him in.
Best of luck to us, truly.
Would like to not see Tiger posters here at all, but the fact they have appeared shows they are nervous.

Rohan on their third best defender... and then what happens with Miers and danger? Someone will end very free at some stage when they go 2 up against Hawk.

They have very attacking defenders as well, and the way you make them pay is to be free and be used. Make them man up.

unfortunately they have six very good defenders. Its why they are so good and have won 2 of the last 3 flags. We can match up though. However there won't an easy opponent or weaker opponent really for our forwards

Controversial opinion, but I think we don't care if we win this game or not. Home ground advantage means next to nothing this year, and we only have to beat Sydney to sew up Top 4. Even if Eagles win tonight and Richmond beat us, our percentage is so great that Eagles will still finish 5th. I think that's why we're giving Sel and Stanley another week, and then having a further two weeks to prime ourselves for Week 1 of finals. Rata has his last chance tomorrow, and nothing short of pure domination will let him keep his spot and change our structure. He's obviously been given a chance, but isn't preferred over Stanley, so it makes sense to try him when there's not much on the line this game (seriously don't know why everyone is losing their sh*t lol).

Really don't care if we win tomorrow, and don't think we will either, given the shitty conditions that will suit them and be detrimental for us. We've been the home and away kings in previous years, and I think we're finally changing our mentality this year. A cherry ripe Selwood, Stanley and Ablett, is better than pinching a win and still not being able to finish Top 2 and earn a 'home' final that we would most likely play against Brisbane or Port anyway.
Want to wrap up top 4 against tigers and relegate them to fifth. Sydney won’t be a stroll.

I'm as pessimistic about savrat as much as anyone, but I can see why he's in.

Learning experience aside, he'll still be part of the equation leading into finals and will need some game experience.
Better to test him in a high-pressure game like this than in a final.

If he finds some form and picks up some confidence, great. Let's see if he can gain some momentum through Sydney and into finals.
If he's still poo and can't kick or mark worth a damn, then drop him while it's still the H&A season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back