Game Day Geelong V Richmond Friday May 7 750 pm @ MCG - Tuggers home game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ******* win and give these campaigners the business.

Or at the very least make them earn it.

4 quarter effort nothing less.

Repeat everything from last week but take the chances when they present themselves and we can win this.

And dont send the I50 to the flanks all the time

Work rate, clean skills and more work rate.

You mark yourself against the best. Hunt them. Male them take away our best assets and features and play for each other. No one star to win the game.

Go Catters

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Playing slow plodders instead of speed.

the exact way to lose to richmond.

even with there outs this isn’t going to be easy. And it should be.

we now have to win despite the strategy.

Yea hate to say it but have zero confidence. Just don't think we have the right mix to trouble them. Hope I'm wrong. Really wish we had O'Connor in. Even if he struggled would be a good learning experience in the new role. Stanley especially is the key. If he plays well and gives us something in the ruck and around the ground we're in it. If he plays like a ####ing mouse like last week forget about it.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually thought narkle was ok in centre bounces last week and thought Clark was also ok, great way for the coach to break their confidence to drop them after 1 game.

How many games has Higgins had in the VFL? Hopefully a couple as we need him to be our star mid tonight and not break down, halfway through the first qtr.

If we can move the ball quickly their defence without Grimes looks shaky, however we don't move the ball quick, Richmond's team defence to get back and help is the best in the league, hopefully we play with dash and flair and take them on and don't worry about the odd turnover and being scored against, it's our best shot at winning, get it down to to the Tom and Jerry show and outscore them, hawk is to smart for balta and Jezza too good for Astbury

Playing slow plodders instead of speed.

the exact way to lose to richmond.

even with there outs this isn’t going to be easy. And it should be.

we now have to win despite the strategy.

Ins't speed of ball movement more important than the speed of the players - we've shown over the past month or so that we're playing on quicker, using the handball more and keeping things moving, and that's not based on how we play and not just the leg speed of the players

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I actually thought narkle was ok in centre bounces last week and thought Clark was also ok, great way for the coach to break their confidence to drop them after 1 game.

How many games has Higgins had in the VFL? Hopefully a couple as we need him to be our star mid tonight and not break down, halfway through the first qtr.

If we can move the ball quickly their defence without Grimes looks shaky, however we don't move the ball quick, Richmond's team defence to get back and help is the best in the league, hopefully we play with dash and flair and take them on and don't worry about the odd turnover and being scored against, it's our best shot at winning, get it down to to the Tom and Jerry show and outscore them, hawk is to smart for balta and Jezza too good for Astbury
Higgins has had zero time in the vfl. None.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Ins't speed of ball movement more important than the speed of the players - we've shown over the past month or so that we're playing on quicker, using the handball more and keeping things moving, and that's not based on how we play and not just the leg speed of the players
People say that but i havnt noticed us moving it on all that quicker. Not enough for my liking. Speed of ball movement is key but run and carry helps too. Especially against richmond. You also need to break lines with both run and handball.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
in dow
You are right. Leg speed gets you the overlap and extra man up the field, you have more options to kick to, so it can help the game look faster. It can also be used to flood the defence, run down players with the ball - so it can be used to slow a game down as well. By itself it isn't really an indicator of how fast the ball will move and the game looks, imo.

People keep calling for him to play in defence and off half back. This is why they are trying to hide him on a wing.

Here's a new one for you - apparently we can hide Clark in defence as not all defenders need to defend...

From FB

Lock down defenders, defenders who play loose and take intercept marks, 'defenders' who are there to not play one on one but to move the ball out of the defensive 50 with their leg speed.
Lonergan was a a lockdown defender, Harry Taylor was a lockdown and and intercept marker, Scarlo was all three, could lockdown, intercept and also break the lines with run and carry.
Same happens in the midfield.
with defensive mids (taggers), outside runners, inside mids who get it in the scrimmages and feed it out to the runners.
It takes all sorts to make a team.

Pretty sure that Clark's direct opponent would love to hear that he's playing in defence not to defend but just to move the ball out of the defensive 50 with his leg speed - so his opponent kicks 5/6 goals a week, as long as Clark in turn gets 5/6 rebounds from D50 I'm sure it will all be ok :rolleyes:

You are right. Leg speed gets you the overlap and extra man up the field, you have more options to kick to, so it can help the game look faster. It can also be used to flood the defence, run down players with the ball - so it can be used to slow a game down as well. By itself it isn't really an indicator of how fast the ball will move and the game looks, imo.

We see the bolded from Rohan and others who try, but for all his leg speed I don't often see Clark running as hard defensively for that chase down tackle as we see from some of his teammates

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
We are absolutely capable of beating the Tigers, but I worry that maybe we're straying into the territory of Hawthorn during 'the streak' - we seem to have our heads in a funk with this mob.
The mental hurdles are the worst ones because they're hard to aim at on a whiteboard. Teams either jump them or fall over, and after the fact, everyone's at a loss for what just happened. Mental strength is needed here. The resilience to keep running, keep tackling, keep spoiling and to not drop the bundle if Tigers score against the flow.
Personally, I think we lose this one. But I'll go in with full hope anyway. Any more than 2-3 passengers and we get trounced. Simple as that.

Here's a new one for you - apparently we can hide Clark in defence as not all defenders need to defend...

From FB

Pretty sure that Clark's direct opponent would love to hear that he's playing in defence not to defend but just to move the ball out of the defensive 50 with his leg speed - so his opponent kicks 5/6 goals a week, as long as Clark in turn gets 5/6 rebounds from D50 I'm sure it will all be ok :rolleyes:
There’s just no way we are going to regularly play someone in defence who isn’t a strong defender.

Incidentally, I took a look at the stats for defensive contests this season. A few surprises in here.

CDOOO = contested defensive one on one
CDL = contested defensive loss
DE8F2789-C196-4FD6-9CE0-3FE3ABDB677C.jpeg

There’s just no way we are going to regularly play someone in defence who isn’t a strong defender.

Incidentally, I took a look at the stats for defensive contests this season. A few surprises in here.

CDOOO = contested defensive one on one
CDL = contested defensive loss
View attachment 1120369

You mean to tell me that Zuth, along with Tuohy & Stanley haven't actually lost contested defensive contest this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back