Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
How are still people not seeing that Stanley might not play this week due to injury.
His last quarter he started on the bench, went to one contest. Went straight off and didn’t return.
Not rocket science

Good call calder_daddy
Could have been ultra sore after battling Nic Nat all game or maybe picked up an injury in game.

bombersboy

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
From where we are I would like to see Narkle get a run of games. He might not work back but he did a few nice things last week with only around 50% game time. At least he can win a centre clearance and burst from the centre and is a decent user of the ball. It was a good piece of play Saturday night in the last quarter. Just a shame Duncan could not hang onto the ball.

I'm not sure what is up with Menegola. He does not appear to be getting from contest to contest. Quite often seems to get caught in no man's land.
1. He had a restricted pre season so may not be fit.
2. He may have lost a bit of edge now that he has the contract extension in his pocket.
3. The new rules may not suit him as the ability for sides to move the ball quicker exposes his Kryptonite - no pace.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Good call calder_daddy
Could have been ultra sore after battling Nic Nat all game or maybe picked up an injury in game.
Could be anything, all we know is that is extremely strange for any player to participate in one contest a quarter, the fact he spent the last 12 minutes on the bench as reported is missing the point
He also didn’t play the first 10 minutes either

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Think we have a fairly good chance. Some good outs for the Tiges.
Would rather Dusty to play in a H&A game than Grimes.
Miers is a big out if he doesn't play though. People seriously underrate his value to our team at times.

Think we have a fairly good chance. Some good outs for the Tiges.
Miers is a big out if he doesn't play though. People seriously underrate his value to our team at times.
3AW saying he has a stress fracture

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
This comment is a classic case of the black and white nature that we all view the world through these days. Whilst you make some excellent points regarding their structure it is simply ridiculous to suggest it works regardless of personel. I mean to you think if you just put Nth's players in their and they new the system as well as Richmond do they would perform the same. Clearly not so having your best players out always has a big impact. Richmond can cover it more than most but to suggest it makes little difference who they trot out their is crazy.

Arguably the greatest coach of my lifetime Leigh Mathews says it best "good players make good coaches and great players make great coaches." It simply just does not matter how good your structure is if your players can't execute it. Any football structure becomes irrelevant really quickly if the players can't

A) win one on one's
B) make good decisions under pressure
C) execute their skills also under pressure after they've made their decision

The proof of the pudding was in the eating when richmond had heaps of injuries and battled through most of the year only to get them all back and storm to a flag.

All good. But my comment is a relative one, not 'black and white'. I'm simply pointing out that Richmond can sustain more changes in personnel (without a catastrophic collapse in output) than any other team in footy at the moment. That doesn't mean that you could replace all their quality with journeymen from other clubs and achieve similar results. In some respects it would appear we are simply in furious agreement.

In any case, Richmond is still likely to run out with 18 of their 2020 GF 22 in Friday night's game. So, despite the quality of the players missing, the idea that they are seriously depleted is somewhat overblown for mine.

I'm simply pointing out that the notion that their chances in this game are massively reduced due to the absence of Cotch, Grimes, Prestia and Lambert doesn't fit with my view of the reality. However, I do certainly concede that I think their system allows them to cover those absences better than we would without (say) Selwood, Stewart, Guthrie and Parfitt.

In the end, though, every team has a point at which the absence of copious key players critically saps potential. I just don't believe that the Tiges will have reached that threshold when it comes to our game on Friday night.

PzBlinky

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Don't know if someone has already added this in the thread, but Miers has a fractured fibula.

I know we haven't hit catastrophic levels of injury, but we're certainly not getting the rub of the green this year, especially when it comes to small forwards (ironically Dahlhaus has been amazingly resilient so far!).

Don't know if someone has already added this in the thread, but Miers has a fractured fibula.

I know we haven't hit catastrophic levels of injury, but we're certainly not getting the rub of the green this year, especially when it comes to small forwards (ironically Dahlhaus has been amazingly resilient so far!).

Dealt with injury/issues over the pre-season, and now building himself to match fitness during the season - early in the season he was lucky to stay in the side based on his form, but as you said, small forwards or those who can pinch hit up there is where we've been hit hardest and why he's likely retained his spot across the weeks

Classic mechanism, a "cork" to the lateral leg.
He will miss a few.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Get Ratugolea in. 3 games is plenty.

Blicavs is going to have stay back this week and we need an option if Bad Stanley shows up. Plus he can take a contested mark forward.

In: Ratugolea, Simpson, Higgins
Out: Narkle, Clark, Miers, Zac Guthrie

I would find a spot for Clark, but I doubt they will.
Sav was sore two weeks ago so it’s a no from me.

i can’t believe that we are still not playing Blitz in that wing ruck role. It’s our ultimate card. Even last week he got three clearances when they finally pulled the trigger in the last. He also plays the defensive safety role better than any player in the league. Play De Koning on the second tall and cop what comes. Blitz costs at least a goal a game in skill errors on the last line on top of one or two on his opponent so what’s the difference.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Astbury has been down this year but I think he has enough credits in the bank to warrant selection. We don't really have anyone else who can play a similar role either besides potentially Garthwaite/Ben Miller who are either injured or just not good enough at this stage.
You guys will still be the team to beat come September.....

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
How are still people not seeing that Stanley might not play this week due to injury.
His last quarter he started on the bench, went to one contest. Went straight off and didn’t return.
Not rocket science
If Stanley injured, I hope we don't play him.... Play the guy who is fit in Fort... lets see what he can do

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
So does Simpson take Miers spot? As if it wasn't for injury he be in our best 22.. his pressure playing football but then can read the ball well.

Or would we play Esava? Play tall and make them stretch in defence, and it gives us a actual 2nd ruck to help out Fort, oh I mean Stanley...

So does Simpson take Miers spot? As if it wasn't for injury he be in our best 22.. his pressure playing football but then can read the ball well.

Or would we play Esava? Play tall and make them stretch in defence, and it gives us a actual 2nd ruck to help out Fort, oh I mean Stanley...
Higgins in for Miers, and if Simpson is good to go then maybe it's Clark or Narkle who makes way - based on Saturday night, I'd stick with Narkle in the senior side

catscratchfever

Captain Goodvibes
Aug 16, 2008
The Edge Of Reality
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Space Cadets
This is going to be a very, very tough game to win and I just don't think we're up to it at the moment against a revved up Richmond. Dusty is of course a massive in and the other one isn't bad either. Maybe our full team with Clanger/oops I meant Dangerfield fit and firing would stand a pretty good chance but last year's GF shows how high that mountain is to climb. And with so many missing or playing injured, it's probably a miracle we're even in the eight.

F**k me Chris Scott is a great tactician and coach but I reckon he needs to bend a little at times and throw caution to the wind. If there was any time to do it this game might be it. If we won it would be HUGE, but...

Tiggers by 30 points.

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
I think this is a bit simplisitic. Everything regarding ball movement in on a continuum. We are clearly more risk averse and take the game on more than Richmond. I will never understand the disingenuous argument (Chris Scott is a master of this) that because someone suggests we are too negative and risk averse they are somehow arguing for fast ball movement at all costs even when not warranted. It's such a straw man argument. Clearly anyone with a football brain doesn't want our players to just go when there is nothing further up field but also clearly we are so ingrained in the cautious possession game that we (a little too often for my liking) don't go when we could.

It's obviously a balance but my argument about his season is that the new rules have tipped the balance towards attack more than last year. Therefore the advantage you gain by the slow possession footy which allows you to always be set up behind the ball is reduced because teams can go faster and catch you out anyway sometimes. Added to this the opportunities to score by attacking are clearly improved by the new rules. We don't seem to have made enough of an adjustment in my mind but Chris SCott is a much better football brain so he probably will. I just hate people counter acting the we are too slow argument, with the just go fast all the time argument, because no sensible person is saying that.

I will just start off by asking first, what aspect exactly of richmonds game do you think is attacking?? Every aspect of their game has defense first and foremost ingrained in it. From their structures to ball movement. They are the most defensive team in the AFL.

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
Higgins in for Miers, and if Simpson is good to go then maybe it's Clark or Narkle who makes way - based on Saturday night, I'd stick with Narkle in the senior side
I think Narkle deserves a fair chunk of games to prove what his got....
My opinion, I think Higgins needs a run the VFL, his 33 and no spring chicken, plus when he was playing this year his form hasn't been appealing tbh...

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I will just start off by asking first, what aspect exactly of richmonds game do you think is attacking?? Every aspect of their game has defense first and foremost ingrained in it. From their structures to ball movement. They are the most defensive team in the AFL.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but that is utter rubbish

Watch the 1st 5-7 minutes of the 3rd qtr against Footscray -( their 3 goals down at h/time ) it was all out attack - the ball didnt go up Footscrays end

I was financially invested in Rich - thus i was cheering it on - its move the ball super quickly- just a wave of them in link play ( Bolton was the architect ) and as a result put the oppo defence under extreme pressure - Dogs didnt know what hit them - and couldnt handle it

Rich have done that to Geel ( 3rd qtr of the 19 prelim ) and other sides - yet you say they are the most defensive team in the AFL !!! - they are polar opposite to your view

Thats why Rich are so dangerous - and hard to beat - because they are so ATTACKING . Alot of teams - past and present when they get in front - might have a 2-3 goal handy lead - theyd just then play tempo football - just milk/run down the clock - keep their lead but not score - not be interested in scoring

Richmond dont do that - they continually try to kick goals - and the opposition team has to combat that for the whole game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back