Preview Geelong v Richmond Friday May7 2021 7:50 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can never replace like for like but bloody hell this is as close to it as you get

Yes, he’ll be back
He'll be hoping we
Then Neale can play ruck in the VFL and everyone is happy
We know what Fort can do. May fluke a reasonable game now and then but he is a couple of rungs below Stanley. On his day Stanley is tier 1 but we know he is inconsistent. Fort is Tier 3 and may achieve tier 2 occassionaly.

I will just start off by asking first, what aspect exactly of richmonds game do you think is attacking?? Every aspect of their game has defense first and foremost ingrained in it. From their structures to ball movement. They are the most defensive team in the AFL.
You get more ridiculous in your posts as the months go on. Thank god you left the srp board and now just hover here.

what exactly is your relationship with Chris Scott?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion - but that is utter rubbish

Watch the 1st 5-7 minutes of the 3rd qtr against Footscray -( their 3 goals down at h/time ) it was all out attack - the ball didnt go up Footscrays end

I was financially invested in Rich - thus i was cheering it on - its move the ball super quickly- just a wave of them in link play ( Bolton was the architect ) and as a result put the oppo defence under extreme pressure - Dogs didnt know what hit them - and couldnt handle it

Rich have done that to Geel ( 3rd qtr of the 19 prelim ) and other sides - yet you say they are the most defensive team in the AFL !!! - they are polar opposite to your view

Thats why Rich are so dangerous - and hard to beat - because they are so ATTACKING . Alot of teams - past and present when they get in front - might have a 2-3 goal handy lead - theyd just then play tempo football - just milk/run down the clock - keep their lead but not score - not be interested in scoring

Richmond dont do that - they continually try to kick goals - and the opposition team has to combat that for the whole game

We obviously have different views of what makes defensive footy and what makes attacking footy.

You seem to classify fast ball movement as attacking, i dont classify attacking or defensive football as any rlevance to speed of ball movement, has absolutely nothing to do with it. Yoy can be slow with ball and try and take risky kicks and handpasses or change angles into the corridor with risk, while still moving it slow. Pace is irrelevant to attacking or defensive footy.

These couple of main stay foundational tactics of the richmond side is why they are as defensive minded as it comes:

1. They hold a very strong defensive wall about 35-50m off the ball ready for that quick hurried pressured kick to pick it off. Very defensive-minded structure behind the ball at all contests.

2. They have a ball movement strategy which is essentially move the ball quick into open grass for the small forwards to charge onto, and if they dont get their first, the opposition will be pressured by frontal pressure and either a holding the ball decision or will hurrily turn it back over by blindly kicking it to the pressed up defensive wall. This ball movement which you claim to be attacking has a defensive first aspect ingrained into it that prevents opposition scoring off them from turnovers. Ask yourself why do you think teams find it so difficult to go coast to coast against richmond?? Thats exactly why.

Richmond at their best are the kings of limitinh opposition scores from turnover. There is nobody better at it, and it comes from their forwards pressing up then running forward into space to either win the ball or harrass. There is no clean turnover and damage the other way.

Last edited:
You get more ridiculous in your posts as the months go on. Thank god you left the srp board and now just hover here.

what exactly is your relationship with Chris Scott?

Refer to previous post, couldnt give a s**t about your frustrated comments because i continuously get the better of you on footy topics we discuss so you get personal.

It would be nice if we got some good luck this week, as opposed to the GF when Richmond stormed away and we lost the GOAT to injury. You could argue that great teams make their own luck, but it just feels like we haven't had any help from the footy Gods in recent years. Would be nice to see how Richmond would cope with 2 down on the bench all game.

It would be nice if we got some good luck this week, as opposed to the GF when Richmond stormed away and we lost the GOAT to injury. You could argue that great teams make their own luck, but it just feels like we haven't had any help from the footy Gods in recent years. Would be nice to see how Richmond would cope with 2 down on the bench all game.
Dont rewrite history, we lost Vlastuin at the exact same time as Ablett's injury (Ablett only missed 20 minutes or so) Houli for us then pinged his calf minutes later and Parfitt broke his finger. That'd be two injuries each right? The only other injury was Simpson being KO'd by Menegola with 7 minutes to go when the game was already won.

Dont rewrite history, we lost Vlastuin at the exact same time as Ablett's injury (Ablett only missed 20 minutes or so) Houli for us then pinged his calf minutes later and Parfitt broke his finger. That'd be two injuries each right? The only other injury was Simpson being KO'd by Menegola with 7 minutes to go when the game was already won.

And were you missing Lynch in the 2019 prelim to even out Hawkins not playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL and Hawkins ended up being a real difference maker in last years GF & R17

The added bonus is Hawkins was in better form last year than 2019 and we still beat you twice

Embarrassing stuff here.

Why don’t you run back to your ‘banter’ thread? It might suit your capabilities a bit better.

LOL and Hawkins ended up being a real difference maker in last years GF & R17

The added bonus is Hawkins was in better form last year than 2019 and we still beat you twice
Ok you were right on the earlier point about the grand final injuries hitting both sides equally but not this one. Geelong beat you by 11 goals when Hawkins was playing. Hawkins kicked 4 goals.

In the prelim, the only other game that season, he didn’t play. That 4 goal half time lead in the prelim is more like 5-6 goals if Hawkins plays (and Duncan and Rohan who also missed). Our foward line that night was a young Esava and lachie Henderson. It’s crazy that at half time we were actually 4 goals in front without our two leading goal scorers playing.

Bit cheeky to include Hawkins missing through a silly suspension in a conversation about Richmond having more luck with injury imo.

Nah, the post I quoted was about us not having 'luck from the footy gods' the last couple of times we've played Richmond in finals. We can debate whether Hawkins' suspension was warranted or not - FWIW I thought it went against the AFL's unwritten rule of leniency in finals (see Cotchin not being suspended for 2017 GF when that would have been a suspension in any other week of the year) - but either way missing your AA FF in the biggest game of the year and having to play a defender forward in his role is the definition of the footy gods not smiling down on you.

We were also missing Duncan for the 19 prelim who was clearly a huge loss, one of our more durable players over the past decade but got injured in the QF and missed the rest of the finals. Just shocking luck.

Nah, the post I quoted was about us not having 'luck from the footy gods' the last couple of times we've played Richmond in finals. We can debate whether Hawkins' suspension was warranted or not - FWIW I thought it went against the AFL's unwritten rule of leniency in finals (see Cotchin not being suspended for 2017 GF when that would have been a suspension in any other week of the year) - but either way missing your AA FF in the biggest game of the year and having to play a defender forward in his role is the definition of the footy gods not smiling down on you.

We were also missing Duncan for the 19 prelim who was clearly a huge loss, one of our more durable players over the past decade but got injured in the QF and missed the rest of the finals. Just shocking luck.

Agree re Duncan, but I don't think the footy gods have anything to do with silly supsensions. That's on the individual, not lady luck.

Anyway, I'm going to leave it there because I'm basically defending a Richmond poster and, this week, * anything and everything about Richmond! :p

He'll be hoping we

We know what Fort can do. May fluke a reasonable game now and then but he is a couple of rungs below Stanley. On his day Stanley is tier 1 but we know he is inconsistent. Fort is Tier 3 and may achieve tier 2 occassionaly.

Fort has only played five games as #1 ruck for us, so probably hasn't had a good enough run at it. But when he's played he's competed really well in the ruck contests and registered good hit out numbers, but he hasn't found much of the ball - averaging just 8 disposals and 1.8 marks in those games.

I suspect that's the main reason Rhys is ahead of him, he's averaged 16 disposals and 3.6 marks this year, along with 3.3 clearances.

I can't see much to debate about Hawkins' suspension, it was a forearm to the head a mile off the ball. Imagine for one second any Geelong player getting hit like that off the ball. This board would be screaming. What it was was unbelievably stupid.

Vlastuin ain't no Ablett, mate. Never has been, never will be. Same with everyone else in your squad. 👍

Luck had nothing to do with them winning the GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back