Preview Geelong v Richmond Friday May7 2021 7:50 pm @ MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Yet Fritsch is free to play for Melbourne this weekend after using his forearm to fend someone off in the face, and Cotchin played in a GF a week after concussing Dylan Shiel with a high bump.

The inconsistency is what frustrates.

We're not exactly angels when it comes to using forearms - Dangerfield also got off after knocking Vlastuin unconscious. Wasn't a hell of a lot different to what Fritsch did (for what it's worth - both should have gotten off in my view).

Won't be popular but I still maintain Cotchin should not have been suspended. Shiel kept playing, it was after Astbury got him again later in the quarter he didn't come back.

Last edited:
As an aside - I wonder how awesome a team of underrated players would be. Probably a champion team as they always do the right thing by the team.

Duncan gets in from Geelong, Grimes from Richmond.
Great call. Milburn from the past one of those types. Id imagine a team of players like these guys would be almost impossible to play against.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
We're not exactly angels when it comes to using forearms - Dangerfield also got off after knocking Vlastuin unconscious. Wasn't a hell of a lot different to what Fritsch did (for what it's worth - both should have gotten off in my view).

Won't be popular but I still maintain Cotchin should not have been suspended. Shiel kept playing, it was after Astbury got him again later in the quarter he didn't come back.

Fritsch and Dangerfield completely different circumstances IMO. Dangerfield punched the ball and instinctively put his forearm up to protect himself. That play could have just as easily ended in a broken arm to Dangerfield as it did a concussion to Vlastuin.

Fritsch had possession of the ball and fended off his opponent, he had complete control over what part of his body he used and where he made contact with his opponent.

Anyway, we digress. Back to Friday night!

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Higgins - if he is selected - well i think he has been a bit underwhelming for Geel so far - where as i think I Smith has been pretty good

I think Higgins has got to get his hands a bit dirty - get alot more desperate in his play - rather than play just play some cameo role
He is 33. Most players are retired by his age. Cameos are all we can expect of him.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Great call. Milburn from the past one of those types. Id imagine a team of players like these guys would be almost impossible to play against.

I love no fuss footballers who just get the job done. Not surprisingly a few are defenders. Milburn, Enright, Mark Bos was another. From opposition teams Dale Morris and Grimes. Absolutely no sizzle but bucketloads of substance.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Fritsch and Dangerfield completely different circumstances IMO. Dangerfield punched the ball and instinctively put his forearm up to protect himself. That play could have just as easily ended in a broken arm to Dangerfield as it did a concussion to Vlastuin.

Fritsch had possession of the ball and fended off his opponent, he had complete control over what part of his body he used and where he made contact with his opponent.

Anyway, we digress. Back to Friday night!

Dangerfield has been an absolute champion for Geelong - and him and Joel have carried the Cats for a number of years - no bigger football admirer of those 2 than me

Re the incident in last years GF - everyone is entitled to their opinion - and my opinion is this

He didnt go out to hurt Nick Vaustin no way - he found himself in that situation - and you can argue your line that he put his forearm up to protect himself - or you could argue the otherway that it was a sort of Hawthorn type elbow of the 1980s - accidental - but maybe on purpose

No one knows what the intent was - and if it went to the Tribunal - i think it would be fair and correct to throw it out - because there was far too much doubt

Pollywaffle

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
I love no fuss footballers who just get the job done. Not surprisingly a few are defenders. Milburn, Enright, Mark Bos was another. From opposition teams Dale Morris and Grimes. Absolutely no sizzle but bucketloads of substance.
Wouldn’t mind a team crammed with ‘defenders‘ if we had more like Milburn.:cool:

Mark Bos was, and still is my favourite ever player. I had the number 24 on my jumper growing up. Like you said, no fuss, just got the job done.

Very on-brand Richmond insecurity on show here. 👏
As is their ‘banter’ thread.
aW nO fAiR... No CaTtErS wIlL pOsT hErE. We NeEd VaLiDaTiOn!!!!

The GF incident?

nothing in that. A football act rightly not looked at for suspension.

Not a good example of ‘getting off’. It was the right call.

A better example would be Ablett’s repeated tribunal appearances in 2019.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Mark Bos was, and still is my favourite ever player. I had the number 24 on my jumper growing up. Like you said, no fuss, just got the job done.
Why did he retire in 1989?

he was only 29. at the peak of his form winning best and fairests in 2 of the past 3 seasons. Geelong was also finally back in the premiership window.

As is their ‘banter’ thread.
aW nO fAiR... No CaTtErS wIlL pOsT hErE. We NeEd VaLiDaTiOn!!!!

Had to laugh whenever someone would praise an opposition team over something on the main board, and Tigger fans would flock to those threads and be like "Yeah, but what about Richmond?"

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder who goes out?

Doubt it would be for Miers or one if the smaller players.. potentially Stanley out and shared ruck role with Blicavs or Henry?

I'd prefer Henry as we really need Blitz down back

Big sav back in

Wow - after last Saturday's VFL match that feels like a bit of desperation

Hope they know what they're doing and they ain't rushing him into the side just because of Stanley's poor match

Vivy

Premium Platinum
Jul 31, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Wow - after last Saturday's VFL match that feels like a bit of desperation

Hope they know what they're doing and they ain't rushing him into the side just because of Stanley's poor match
Yeah he didn't exactly bang the door down on the weekend. To be fair, his preparation before ever playing a game, then 3 VFL games is a fair block prior to playing AFL.

i would hope not. We are good - and can beat them - but we need a lot to go right - but to say we are better right now... im not so sure of that

Go Catters
YES. We can say with confidence we are NOT better than them. Any suggestion otherwise is pure bias.

Yeah he didn't exactly bang the door down on the weekend. To be fair, his preparation before ever playing a game, then 3 VFL games is a fair block prior to playing AFL.
He also didn't exactly do a lot of ruck work on Saturday, with Fort being our primary ruck

If prior to Saturday night he was in consideration to play ruck in the seniors this week, i would have liked to see him taking more of a lead in that area in last week's VFL match

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back