Game Day Geelong V St Kilda Friday, 14th May 2021 7:50pm @ The Dome

Status
Not open for further replies.
The countdown to the first bounce has started, so time to get this thread rolling

After comfortable wins over apparent GF contenders in WCE & Richmond, we let ourselves down against Sydney when we failed to convert our chances - so which Geelong will we see tonight

Kill them farken!

Also, getting the ferry back after a night game sounds unideal

Not sure the ferry actually runs return services after night time games - think ya got to stay in Melbourne and return tomorrow

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure the ferry actually runs return services after night time games - think ya got to stay in Melbourne and return tomorrow

Weird. The insta post in the promotes game day services. What you said makes more sense though. Just party til morning and throw up over the side of the boat!

Last edited:

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
When Cameron was signed, it looked like a stress free home and away season and top Four finish. That has not been the experience so far.

A win tonight is important to start moving towards that comfortable end to the home and away season.

A loss and I can see us scrapping all year and season is starting to look a little like 2018 and 2012. Flashes of good form, but no consistency.

We are in great form. If you look at the statistical indicators for the last three rounds we are leading the league. No excuses here. Anything other than a solid 5-6 goal win is a sign of mental weakness.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
When Cameron was signed, it looked like a stress free home and away season and top Four finish. That has not been the experience so far.

A win tonight is important to start moving towards that comfortable end to the home and away season.

A loss and I can see us scrapping all year and season is starting to look a little like 2018 and 2012. Flashes of good form, but no consistency.

Your post comes across as if Jeremy Cameron has played all matches which is not the case..

It seemed like our game plan was always designed around having Jeremy in the team and early days we struggled without him - now look at the turn around since his inclusion.

The Sydney game was not an embarrassing loss - more or less it was actually Tom Hawkins that cost us that one - he kicks straighter and we win.

A loss would however be embarrassing tonight - but I think we win this one comfortably.

As you no doubt know, the thing all of BigFooty is talking about is the fact I am using newly acquired access to OpenAI - www.openai.com - to generate text for me.

Today, I gave it two previews for tonight's match, and asked it to give me a summary from the roughly 20 paragraphs.

I pasted in the previews from highly respected football sources, and waited.

Before long it gave me:

Geelong to win by 23 points.

Which was underwhelming.

I will keep working on it. In the meantime, don't worry. The robots are not taking over any time soon.

Ah ha! If you ask for a one-sentence summary it gives:

Geelong’s forward line is a nightmare for any opposition, and that’s why they should have no trouble covering the line against the Saints.

Conclusion: Gambling is everywhere. Even computers are doing it.

I'm a little worried about their tell forward line. Limiting their entries and not affording
Them time and space further up the ground is crucial.

I expect to win by about 4 goals but I'm not as confident as I was last week.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Ah ha! If you ask for a one-sentence summary it gives:

Geelong’s forward line is a nightmare for any opposition, and that’s why they should have no trouble covering the line against the Saints.

Conclusion: Gambling is everywhere. Even computers are doing it.

We'll be in trouble when it starts throwing out the idea that Carlton can win the flag :p

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
I expect the Saints to park the bus across half back and try and catch us one out in their forward half. Big game for the coaching staff if it starts to go pear shape early. Hoping for a 30point+ win

It's an ok tactic if you're extremely good, well disciplined, hard working and polished (Richmond at flag winning best) but I'd be disappointed if St Kilda could get this working against us. Plus we are a tad smaller and quicker in defense this year and especially more lately with Kolo out and Blics helping in the ruck and midfield.

I expect the Saints to park the bus across half back and try and catch us one out in their forward half,big game for the coaching staff if it starts to go pear shape early.Hoping for a 30point+ win
Parking the bus has been the most successful strategy deployed against us this year. But it relies on us wasting chances in front of goal. If we are clinical in finishing and get enough looks at centre bounces it won’t be a winning strategy.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
The recent move to a slightly altered game plan gives us a chance to have what many have asked for ... a Plan B sort off. We can feel the moment and adjust

If a side likes to roll back, set up high number zone then id expect us not to just dump the ball into them. However several clubs seem to have evolved into holding forwards back. This along with the stand rule seems to finally be giving some space to forwards.

If we give them too many chance thru their winning of CB ball then it will only exposse a chink we still have.

I expect to control the game. Whether Stk play a down hill run ahead style or pressure the ball or what ever, we should be able to control play and use the correct tactic for the moment. Create 20 plus scoring chances and we should win comfortably. I doubt we kick as efficiently like last week but if we get to 15 goals plus I think we win.

Imagine how dangerous we would be if we added a goal kicking small to that lineup - say a Papley/ KosyPickett/Charlie Cameron/Tobt Green or Robbie Gray?
Miers goes at 1 goal per game, and he's only had 1.5 games with that trio - putting him at their feet he could easily lift that average

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back