Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
Miers goes at 1 goal per game, and he's only had 1.5 games with that trio - putting him at their feet he could easily lift that average

Agree - Miers/Close and Evans seem to have potential but none of the x factor compared to the players I mentioned.
Still if we can get 2 smalls to average a goal a game each with the other 3 big dogs firing we will be very potent :thumbsu:

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree - Miers/Close and Evans seem to have potential but none of the x factor compared to the players I mentioned.
Still if we can get 2 smalls to average a goal a game each with the other 3 big dogs firing we will be very potent :thumbsu:
To be fair, not many teams have a Brownlow medallist, two Coleman winners and a small forward like a Papley. It would be nice though.

Depends whether they use him in that role, or in his more usual role as a creative link player further up the ground.
That's true, but we seem to be getting a better balance of players across the field which will hopefully mean that someone like Miers can play that bit deeper more often, and be at the feet of the talls

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
More interest in this game then most. Two big questions for me.

are we going to announce ourselves as one of the main premiership threats and show consistency. Or will we follow up another good win with a poor performance?

was the more direct and fast moving game plan last week a one off just for Richmond. Or are we going to adopt this new approach as a more permanent feature of our game plan?

Last edited:
More interest in this game then most. Two big questions for me.

are we going to announce ourselves as one of the main premiership threats and show consistency. Or will we follow up another good win with a poor performance?

was the more direct and fast moving game plan last week a one off just for Richmond. Or are we going to adopt this new approach more as a more permanent feature of our game plan?
Nope because it's how we've been playing the last month

How was last weeks game plan significantly different to how we've tried playing the previous 3 weeks?

The style we played last week really isn't that different against North, WCE or the Swans, the biggest difference is that we executed better last week & against WCE, and we made the most of our chances in front of goal - something we failed to do against Sydney & North where we were inaccurate in front of goal

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Ruck concerns me. Esava and Blicavs V Richmond works because their ruck isn't their strong point, but Ryder and Marshall get a roll on and we might be in trouble. Both capable rucks and get forward and kick goals. Wonder if we see a late change and Stanley in.
I would not be surprised to see Stanley in and z Guthrie out.

Blicavs plays solely defence. Stanley and esava share the ruck load.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think the key to this game is the 1st qtr

StKilda have got got a little bit of confidence with a couple of recent wins

However Rich crushed them by 15 goals at the same ground as tonight - and Saints were coming off their come from behind win against the Eagles

If Geel can start like they did against the Swans - leading 6 goals to 2 at qtr time - then Stkildas little free hit - and looking forward to testing themselves against the Cats goes right out the window - and hopefully they get flogged - like Rich flogged them .

Dont want Geel to give them any thought of a possible upset win right from the very start

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Nope because it's how we've been playing the last month

How was last weeks game plan significantly different to how we've tried playing the previous 3 weeks?

The style we played last week really isn't that different against North, WCE or the Swans, the biggest difference is that we executed better last week & against WCE, and we made the most of our chances in front of goal - something we failed to do against Sydney & North where we were inaccurate in front of goal
We didn’t chip the ball around the backline as much. we went through the middle more. I’ve never seen one of our players mark the ball at centre half back turn straight around and kick a torp straight down the guts in 10 years until the richmond game. I was at both the swans and eagles games. A lot of sideways kicking was still there. Only a slight improvement From last year. Richmond game was a big improvement.

all the media analysts post game started talking about our more attacking game plan. I’m guessing as usual they are all wrong.

We didn’t chip the ball around the backline as much. we went through the middle more. I’ve never seen one of our players mark the ball at centre half back turn straight around and kick a torp straight down the guts in 10 years until the richmond game. I was at both the swans and eagles games. A lot of sideways kicking was still there. Only a slight improvement From last year. Richmond game was a big improvement.

all the media analysts post game started talking about our more attacking game plan. I’m guessing as usual they are all wrong.

Game plans are continually tweaked, but it was easy to see those same elements from last Friday over our previous matches

As for the idea of one of our players taking a mark at CHB, turning & kicking straight down the guts - yeah, that's happened a fair bit more often than suddenly being a new thing last week, and it's the same we've seen earlier this season

Against Melbourne it was Stewart with the long kick to Duncan in the middle; Duncan turned and ran his 15m before kicking long to our 50 - the difference that match is he was kicking to Henry in a 2 on 1 situation with Melbourne comfortably clearing the ball

I just hope the lads won't be flat after the big game last week.
Yeah. I'm hoping this is a repeat of what happened after R6 2007. To remind you, we beat Richmond in R6 by 157 pts and then went on to win 14 in a row....one can dream

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Ruck concerns me. Esava and Blicavs V Richmond works because their ruck isn't their strong point, but Ryder and Marshall get a roll on and we might be in trouble. Both capable rucks and get forward and kick goals. Wonder if we see a late change and Stanley in.
During the week, i think it was ross lyon on footy classified, said ryder can easily be exploited around the ground as he’s lazy like nic nat.

Bootstrap

Team Captain
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Rain expected tonight, thankfully we’re playing under the Dome. It’s our first game at Marvel since Rd 16, 2019.

Should bank the win, but in typical Geelong fashion, we probably won’t come to play ... these types of games are usually our danger games.

Geelong by 27

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If we are even nearby "on", we'll win by 8 goals.
I think we'll win by 8 more scoring shots.
Stuffed if I know if that will be 6 goals 2 or 3 goals 5.

And I'm tipping rowan, Hawkins, Cameron to kick a combined 7 'joe the goose' goals.
I think it will be that type of game where it's won off half back and the saints get cut open.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I think they actually match up really well on our forwards. Frawley good match for Hawk, Howard arguably quickest defender in league (Cameron) and Wilke for Rohan. I also think the centre bounce is a real worry. They will have planned for it but we could get absolutely smashed in there.

Having said that we should win and I think we will. Isn't being a supporter so crazy though, because even though we are firm favourites and deserve to be, the geelongness generated pre-premiership glory just won't go away. I can never get away from the thought we will just Geelong it up and it sucks. I should be very confident but my brain just ain't wired that way.

Alright up to everything who is confident to tell me why I am a pessimistic geelong lunatic!!!

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think the key to this game is the 1st qtr

StKilda have got got a little bit of confidence with a couple of recent wins

However Rich crushed them by 15 goals at the same ground as tonight - and Saints were coming off their come from behind win against the Eagles

If Geel can start like they did against the Swans - leading 6 goals to 2 at qtr time - then Stkildas little free hit - and looking forward to testing themselves against the Cats goes right out the window - and hopefully they get flogged - like Rich flogged them .

Dont want Geel to give them any thought of a possible upset win right from the very start

We really have been starting slow this year, letting lesser teams get into the match. It's almost a guarantee in my mind that the first goal, maybe even two or three goals are kicked by the opposition.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Feels like we will start slow and have to play catch up footy. Bit like the Bulldogs v Blues match last weekend.
Teams that play a grand final-effort the week prior, tend to come up flat and there was a good deal of emotional output put into that particular game.

I think Duncan and Menegola play blinders and we narrowly pinch this one from the jaws of defeat :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back