Preview Geelong V St Kilda Friday 14th May 2021 750pm @ Colonial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahead of Bergman, Farrell, Amon, Drew from where I sit. I particularly rate Amon too.
Amon would be in the mix for AA squad atm. Clarky ain’t close to that

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
1st and foremost i hope the Cats walk this in - hopefully a mile in front at qtr time - no stress and win easily - exactly like the game against the same opponent in Brisbane last year

As for the team picked - very game that Narkle gets a full game - showed some real class last week

And very happy that Zac keeps his spot - i liked his game - he showed some real urgency - and thats how he played in his 1st 4-5 games in his career . He has got a great opportunity with Kolo injured - hes just got to play so well that they cant drop him .

If all goes well - and Geel finish high up and qualify for the finals - i think there is going to be some little contests between 2 players for 1 spot - because positions are going to be tight

I can remember in the flag winning year of 2011- about the 2nd or 3rd last round of the home and away - and after the game - Cam Mooney was interviewed on the ABC radio - and Mark MaClure asked Mooney straight out direct - you are in a contest with Hawkins for that final forward spot aernt you - and Mooney didnt shy away from that - he said he was the best man for that position - with his experience blah blah blah

With Danger coming in DHouse will finally get the flick - and i think their will be a contest between Close and Miers for that small forward spot - and if Zac goes right on with it from here - which hopefully he might then there might be a contest between Zac and Kolo for that one available backline spot

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
1st and foremost i hope the Cats walk this in - hopefully a mile in front at qtr time - no stress and win easily - exactly like the game against the same opponent in Brisbane last year

As for the team picked - very game that Narkle gets a full game - showed some real class last week

And very happy that Zac keeps his spot - i liked his game - he showed some real urgency - and thats how he played in his 1st 4-5 games in his career . He has got a great opportunity with Kolo injured - hes just got to play so well that they cant drop him .

If all goes well - and Geel finish high up and qualify for the finals - i think there is going to be some little contests between 2 players for 1 spot - because positions are going to be tight

I can remember in the flag winning year of 2011- about the 2nd or 3rd last round of the home and away - and after the game - Cam Mooney was interviewed on the ABC radio - and Mark MaClure asked Mooney straight out direct - you are in a contest with Hawkins for that final forward spot aernt you - and Mooney didnt shy away from that - he said he was the best man for that position - with his experience blah blah blah

With Danger coming in DHouse will finally get the flick - and i think their will be a contest between Close and Miers for that small forward spot - and if Zac goes right on with it from here - which hopefully he might then there might be a contest between Zac and Kolo for that one available backline spot

I think he is probably more likely to be competing with Mark the Shark unless he is tagging and I just can't see s competition there yet. Would be a fantastic problem to have though!

Sorry Vdubs, but the funeral will be as much as a hindrance to the team as the news of his death was last week.

As for the media interviews, they are a weekly occurrence. You're clutching at straws here.
We shall see

The player media interviews are a regular occurrence

I get that the state funeral may be a distraction but that was yesterday, not the day of the match and why would it nearly be any more distracting than the news of Frank's death last week?
Played for Frank, got up against the team that humbled us in the GF, made some strong points, but what’s the agenda this week? Are we going to hunt or be hunted. If we are hunted, we will likely lose.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Played for Frank, got up against the team that humbled us in the GF, made some strong points, but what’s the agenda this week? Are we going to hunt or be hunted. If we are hunted, we will likely lose.
If we go in with that sort of attitude there needs to be a spill of the leadership. Team leaders need to be inspiring and instilling a sense of purpose and resolve to dominate every opponent, game, and contest.

If we go in with that sort of attitude there needs to be a spill of the leadership. Team leaders need to be inspiring and instilling a sense of purpose and resolve to dominate every opponent, game, and contest.
Imagine going into every game with that mindset...as a supporter! Shoot me now 😩🔫

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong

Nice post!
I really like the idea of Kolo having stiff competition for a spot in the side.

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
He would if we had one that was any good, its pretty obvious he doesn't rate Stanley and Fort at this point.
It’s frustrating that our recruitment team can’t find a good experienced ruck.
We trade away meaningful picks for guys like Hmac, Stanley and that Melb guy, meanwhile others pick up solid players like Nankervis and Hickey for peanuts.

edit: okay, did some research and Hickey/Nank cost roughly a 3 rounder each. Still... relatively cheap

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Clearly, if you are a defender, it depends what your opponent is doing in that time.
Well we were losing both those games, so not contributing in any way sure as hell wasn’t helping us at all.

Disposals aren’t the no 1 role for a defender, but if it takes you 3 quarters to get a touch something is seriously wrong.

Mar 11, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Well we were losing both those games, so not contributing in any way sure as hell wasn’t helping us at all.

Disposals aren’t the no 1 role for a defender, but if it takes you 3 quarters to get a touch something is seriously wrong.
If you have a forward lets say Buddy that kicks no goals because the defender doesn't let him but ends with no disposals his self who has won that duel?.

And before you say i am defending Zuthrie i am not i would prefer Clark in but that isn't what this is about.

I think a lot of people are spoilt by the fact we had such an awesome defence for so many years that could attack and defend at will without hurting either part really at all.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
If you have a forward lets say Buddy that kicks no goals because the defender doesn't let him but ends with no disposals his self who has won that duel?.

And before you say i am defending Zuthrie i am not i would prefer Clark in but that isn't what this is about.

I think a lot of people are spoilt by the fact we had such an awesome defence for so many years that could attack and defend at will without hurting either part really at all.

Lonergan would keep buddy goalless, and still rack up 10-15 touches. It’s a silly argument, cause if he was contributing nothing going the other way, and helping generate scores, at best you are breaking even. You aren’t winning the duel. As you said, in modern football your scoring usually starts from the defenders driving the ball forward.

If all your defenders did was defend, the ball would never leave your defensive 50.

*waves hand*

His opponents have done nothing.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Nah...the haters have taken all the free spots..ably led by you...

You never were really big on the Guthries.
It's not about the Guthries at all,it's why do we select players not up to the task, 2019 it was the beachball Jack Steven who had the inside running with the selectors a mistake.
Zuthrie's being gifted games right now,I'd just prefer to have a look at someone else on the list we know what Zach has to offer.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
It's not about the Guthries at all,it's why do we select players not up to the task, 2019 it was the beachball Jack Steven who had the inside running with the selectors a mistake.
Zuthrie's being gifted games right now,I'd just prefer to have a look at someone else on the list we know what Zach has to offer.
If it's not one Guthrie thing, it's another with you.

Now you're getting stuck into Cam Guthrie for being a team player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back