Preview Geelong V St Kilda Friday 14th May 2021 750pm @ Colonial

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen 2 or 3 current players "burn" team-mates, some of them more than once.
But I've never seen Dangerfield do it knowingly.
When you are the best player it’s on you to take responsibility in the moment. I don’t think he even makes bad decisions. Mostly when it doesn’t come off it’s execution.

Mate if he can play this week that is soft
Let's wait and see. We all know that plenty of info that comes out about injuries is just complete smoke and mirrors. Dal looked like he had done a rib when he came off. Even if not the case if he has heavy bruising to intercostals or any organs that hurts like buggery (not that I'd know that last bit BTW). I have torn intercostals before and you can't breathe and can hardly move.

Soft he is not. If he plays this week there will be a few jabs in play and if he gets hit again let's see how soft he is then.

Last edited:

When you are the best player it’s on you to take responsibility in the moment. I don’t think he even makes bad decisions. Mostly when it doesn’t come off it’s execution.
I wonder if some of the freo supporters turn on Fyfe like ours do Danger. Very similar players, both very prone to the odd shank. I’m guessing they don’t.

I note that M Blight in the paper today said focus on defence is "boring". But when Austin Mc Crabb had the temerity to kick across goal he made him stand alone outside the quarter-time huddle as punishment. It was one of the most bastardly acts by an AFL coach ever.

The good, the bad and the ugly - Blighty stories are never dull!!!

Let's wait and see. We all know that plenty of info that comes out about injuries is just complete smoke and mirrors. Dal looked like he had done a rib when he came off. Even if not the case if he has heavy bruising to intercostals or any organs that hurts like buggery (not that I'd know that last bit BTW).

Soft he is not. If he plays this week there will be a few jabs in play and if he gets hit again let's see how soft he is then.
True.
We have seen players pull out with back spasms pre game, and you can't call them soft, so surely within a game, a player can cop worse than back spasms. It's a gruelling game. I can say I was very happy when my son, who had no care for self preservation, stopped playing footy after cracking his sternum several years ago.

Let's wait and see. We all know that plenty of info that comes out about injuries is just complete smoke and mirrors. Dal looked like he had done a rib when he came off. Even if not the case if he has heavy bruising to intercostals or any organs that hurts like buggery (not that I'd know that last bit BTW).

Could see he was in a s**t load of pain leading up to halftime - there wasn't a lot of time left in the quarter, he was on his haunches when one of the water runners came out to him before they called over a trainer, and it looked like the trainer motioned for him to head to the bench but whoever was looking after the bench wanted him to stay out there because there was less than a minute left & they didn't want to use a rotation that late in the quarter. Plus it was unlikely he was going to get to the bench & his replacement into the forward 50 prior to the centre bounce

At the time I wasn't sure if it was a hand or finger injury based on his he was holding himself, but something like a rib injury would make sense as he was struggling ad didn't seem to want to move

I wonder if some of the freo supporters turn on Fyfe like ours do Danger. Very similar players, both very prone to the odd shank. I’m guessing they don’t.
Yeah interesting, I don’t know. I think part of the sentiment against Danger from Geelong people is due to him not being a Geelong original draftee.

I've seen 2 or 3 current players "burn" team-mates, some of them more than once.
But I've never seen Dangerfield do it knowingly.

Makes you wonder what some of those taking potshots at him would say about a certain number five who played for us in the eighties and nineties, he was prone to "burning" team mates on the odd occasion.

Sounds like we might have a spot for him when G Rohan retires
That's exactly what he looked like he could be as a junior. That third leading forward. Maybe they are just teaching him the work rate he needs and still have him in line for that role. Although if he puts it together defensively he could be very handy as a running half back.

Seeds, I thank you for your abstract conceptual tool thingy. Very cool.

Now on Dangerfield: i feel his greatest asset for us now is his ability to burst out of the centre clearance. The problem is that he frequently butchers the kick. This won't change. But decisive centre clearances are essential in modern footy; teams playing catch-up always need 2 or 3 quick goals from the centre bounce - I note the Doggies had 16 centre clearances on the trot on the weekend, some of which resulted in goals.

Accordingly we'll only be better when Danger returns. Meanwhile, injured or not, I think it's time Dalhouse has a rest; let's see Holmes again and/or Clark.

It's also a case that both Henry & O'Connor are 191cm and Stewart is 190cm - so why do we then describe Henry as tall but not the others? And is there a difference between a tall defender & a KPD as I wouldn't call either a KPD

I wouldn't necessarily call either Henry or Kolodjashnij tall defenders
- JK I'd call more a medium defender, who we've seen play on the likes of Riewoldt (193cm), Darling (191cm) and DeGoey (188cm), but not sure he's the type I'd want to be regularly playing on genuine tall, KPF

- Henry I like, and like how he's been going this year but not sure he's the guy I'd want to be lining up against Tom Lynch, Harry McKay, Franklin, Ben King etc

So rather than talking about tall defenders, I'd rather look at who's more in that KPD mould and ready to go up against KPF
I'm hoping Henry will in time be our Marcus Bontempelli.

I'm hoping Henry will in time be our Marcus Bontempelli.
In the post-match the other night, Scott was talking about how good Rohan could be if he just had confidence in his own ability, and said we had several players with the same issue of untapped potential.
Towards the end of the presser, he expressly named Henry as one of these players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel the length of time Danger spends on the sidelines will be dictated by how good/bad the team goes in the coming weeks, if we go alright and are able to win a few i dont think we see him until after the bye, if we lose i reckon he will try and FastTrack himself back into the frame asap.

Makes you wonder what some of those taking potshots at him would say about a certain number five who played for us in the eighties and nineties, he was prone to "burning" team mates on the odd occasion.
He more than made up for it in other areas, not sure if I can say the same about Danger

I feel the length of time Danger spends on the sidelines will be dictated by how good/bad the team goes in the coming weeks, if we go alright and are able to win a few i dont think we see him until after the bye, if we lose i reckon he will try and FastTrack himself back into the frame asap.
This operation has been an investment for this year and future years.
I can't see either the club or the player risking throwing it away.

This operation has been an investment for this year and future years.
I can't see either the club or the player risking throwing it away.

100% they wont take a risk but we all know Danger has a strong presence and would push to play if his leg was falling off, if he feels he is right to go and they need him he will play.

In terms of being a constraint it’s how they play. I.e. How mobile/fast they are when the ball hits the deck. Not height or who they play on. Glen archer was a tall defender for the second half of his career at only 183 cm.
did you see how "well" we played on Sydney's Hayden Mc Lean?
Height matters when a near 200 cm player can also jump. That's what we will need to contend with against St.King

Laying it on the cats very thick “on the couch” and “360”, setting us up for fall 😅🙃
Glad it's all over and done with now by Tuesday. CS said on Friday night "we will not be falling in love with ourselves" and that Tigers had several key outs.

sad if true.
He needs to get it right first time, and we need to cope without him, as we are doing so far.

Glad it's all over and done with now by Tuesday. CS said on Friday night "we will not be falling in love with ourselves" and that Tigers had several key outs.
How come coaches never** use their own outs as an excuse, but are happy to use them as an excuse to downplay their own team's efforts?

** excepting DDS from Richmond, of course

I despise Marvel Stadium. But I think we've got a pep in our step at the moment so I reserved some tickets. Hoping to see the 3 forwards light it up again.

Wonder which St. Kilda will turn up
They are pretty formidable at home, usually. I wonder which Geelong turns up. NM/Swans version or WCE / Tigers version. Does it come down to who is missing this week?
How come coaches never** use their own outs as an excuse, but are happy to use them as an excuse to downplay their own team's efforts?

** excepting DDS from Richmond, of course
In media, they might not, unless asked specifically, but they all know, as we do, how relevant it is. Missing Duncan and Hawkins in that Tigers prelim killed us given their form at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back