Preview Geelong V St Kilda Friday 14th May 2021 750pm @ Colonial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
We weren't poor against North, but it's hard to play a free flowing, attacking game such as Friday night when a team throws the vast majority of their players into their defensive half just to block up the game
Um okkkk. Go read the post game review of the north game. north currently only have a percentage of 52. I.e. a standard game against north is doubling their score and if we are to be top 4 we should be having better then standard games against them. Especially at home.

Which part of that is supposed to be funny?

Other than all of it...

We were clearly the dominant team that night & if we kicked a bit straighter we would have doubled their score

So sure it would have been nice to double their score, but that's easier said than done especially when playing against a team that shows no interest in winning & instead they go in with a game plan to minimise the size of the pending loss. It's hard to play a free flowing game plan as we've clearly been trying to play when a team just repeatedly throws numbers behind the ball taking away the space to work into

On Friday night we doubled Richmond's score which is a far more impressive feat than doubling the score of North

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Bit left field but could Taheny come in for Dahlhaus to play as a defensive forward? Been playing as a defender in the VFL recently to develop his defensive game but is a natural forward. Is he ready yet?

You’d think though that Clark would come in for Simpson.

How far is O’Connor and Kolo from being available?

Interesting thought. I cant say I have seen a lot of him and what he show thur night did not impress but your proposal has football intelligence.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Looks like we'll be making 2 changes ahead of Friday night with some doubts over Simpson & Dahlhaus

Surely first in to replace either of those guys is Narkle - came on as the sub and had a good second half, deserves to hold his spot which then leaves 1 spot to fill

While Ratugolea did do some ruck work on Friday night, we also seemed to preference Blicavs to take the bulk of the load and Ratugolea being more of the #2 - do they go similar against St Kilda or look to bring in Fort to take over the main ruck duties, with Blicavs dropping back?

If we bring in Fort, is that the second change and we leave it at that as no one really put a foot wrong on Friday night, or is there a 3rd change to accommodate the ruck coming in?
Narkle almost cemented a spot in the best 22 last night he took Dusty 4 or 5 times as the direct opponent at the centre bounces in which Dusty had no influence,used the ball well added some leg speed,one utensil up in the last quarter with the holding the man free kick.More than happy to elevate him this week.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Who comes in. I hope Narkle does. I suspect he will only add to a more aggressive game plan.

The height of King and Ryder in the ruck are the variables. Henderson covered Lynch , and CS seemed to think he is in AA form. The ruck setup we used seemed to work.

I cant see us changing too much.

Last edited:
Which part of that is supposed to be funny?

on the first page of the autopsy thread alone were the phrases of:that’s dire, north’s best game of the year, laborious, that was fugly, imagine if you watched that having a spider crawl down your arm Were used to describe the game.
Seeds, have you heard the phrase "brought us down to their level"?

I'll tell you what I saw at the showdown last night. I saw a crows side not even trying to win the game. They parked numbers in the corridor and did not push up in numbers when attacking. The coach simply had not given them license to press. They bogged down a better side and tried to defend the life out of the game. It was one of the least exciting games I've ever seen and it made port look really bad at times. Ports entries looked exactly like ours did gainst North. I wasn't at that game but I can only assume that their defensive structure involved keeping lots of extra numbers back and having guys protect the corridor in a similar way

When we play a side in finals they will have to go on the attack. They won't be leaving extra players back or clogging the corridor for the whole game.

Im starting to wonder whether we are better with Blicavs playing as a mid. His defensive deficiencies and erratic kicking have got us into trouble on a number of times this year. Just play a smaller defence most weeks.
He has also saved our arse a number of times when Stanley was battling. Even against Sydney Blicavs move to the ruck stemmed the bleeding.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He has also saved our arse a number of times when Stanley was battling. Even against Sydney Blicavs move to the ruck stemmed the bleeding.

Yes, when I say “mid” that includes his role as a ruck. But I think he could/should be considered as part of our midfield rotation. His defensive errors this year seem to be more frequent or perhaps just more obvious. But in any case, he’s still incredibly valuable being able to play as a mid then push back to provide a defensive presence. I think that’s perhaps his best role rather than just as a key defender? I’ve changed my stance on this.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes, when I say “mid” that includes his role as a ruck. But I think he could/should be considered as part of our midfield rotation. His defensive errors this year seem to be more frequent or perhaps just more obvious. But in any case, he’s still incredibly valuable being able to play as a mid then push back to provide a defensive presence. I think that’s perhaps his best role rather than just as a key defender? I’ve changed my stance on this.

To be fair MB has always been a role player rather than a position player.. and coming to game late , he has probably never been a finished product. He is now 30 and has played 187 games. To still be tying to work out his best role is unusual. I think the game has sort of come to him in the "mid" role. When the Tigers won a flag with Grigg playing minutes in the ruck, several sides have tried that now...as we saw with Tigers playing Pickett in the role.

I wonder if the club see SDek as his natural successor.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
To be fair MB has always been a role player rather than a position player.. and coming to game late , he has probably never been a finished product. He is now 30 and has played 187 games. To still be tying to work out his best role is unusual. I think the game has sort of come to him in the "mid" role. When the Tigers won a flag with Grigg playing minutes in the ruck, several sides have tried that now...as we saw with Tigers playing Pickett in the role.

I wonder if the club see SDek as his natural successor.

That’s true. I think after H.Taylor’s retirement it was assumed that he was the natural player to move into that KPD role. There was criticism of his lack of accumulation as a mid. And who could have predicted the resurrection of Henderson’s game?

I think he is that player you now use as a “patch”. Where are we deficient today?

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
We’re running out of small forward options. Miers, Frank, Simpson, Dahlhaus all out. Most obvious ones that could fill that role are Holmes, Narkle or Clark. I’d like to see the three of them play this week. Their pace will be an asset at Marvel.
Out: Simpson, Dahlhaus and Guthrie
In: Holmes, Clark and Narkle
Sub Constable

Seeing Taheny on Thursday night he will need to sharpen up his kicking before he gets anywhere near an AFL debut.
Very generous inclusion in the best players imo.

Was that in the post match? No doubt Rats will spin that up in the team meeting.
He said something along the lines of their midfielders only run one way.
I mean it's correct but man, you don't want to be saying that as an oppo coach the week before
Let's hope they don't read this crap, because I am sure the rest of the world has no idea about those comments, and their relevance this week.

When did he say that?
I have listened to most of his pressers, and I can not recall any disparaging remarks about an opposition team, certainly nothing that could be used as more motivation than what they already had to beat us.
He is generally modest, humble, and careful with comments.

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One
I have listened to most of his pressers, and I can not recall any disparaging remarks about an opposition team, certainly nothing that could be used as more motivation than what they already had to beat us.
He is generally modest, humble, and careful with comments.
One thing about him, he always pays respect to the opposition. I highly doubt anyone, especially him would say that about an upcoming opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back