Preview Geelong V St Kilda Friday 14th May 2021 750pm @ Colonial

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still coming down after that one and im only accepting posts in this thread if you've watched the replay more than twice lol

There was some great stuff in there.

Makes for an interesting form line the last 3 weeks -

98 point win vs Top 4 side
2 point loss vs very young team
63 point win vs 2020 Premier

And this week v the Saints? Who knows.

We will be without Simpson and probably Dahl - although Sav seemed to play out the game ok after being off.

We are notorious for dropping games after we play the Hawks - the rivavlry and all and the Tiggers game was no execption. It was a very physical and hard content so pulling up after that will be interesting.

The Saints just got over the Suns and will be quick on their home deck. Ryder returned and they will be handful if they get a run on. They will work hard forward of the ball and we have not let them get a sniff.

With our 2 outs, who will come in.

Does Stanley get a look in? Can Jarvis come in for Simpson or is Holmes likely to get that gig? Does Chook get a look again or is that over?

Narkle should hold his spot after a good game. Will Kolo be ready to return but whom goes out for him?

This is another kind of must win to push us deeper into the Top 4 calculations and teams will be coming for us as they usually do.

Lets hope we dont let down after a big one and carry the momentum forward

GO Catters

So, most likely will be Narkle and Clark for Simpson and Dahlhaus?

Holmes possibly in the mix. Is Kolo ready?

Cupboard pretty bare for pressure forwards. I wonder if they’ll send Atkins forward. That will allow them to bring Kolo back with a slight reshuffle. Not necessarily my preference but I could see them doing it.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Cupboard pretty bare for pressure forwards. I wonder if they’ll send Atkins forward. That will allow them to bring Kolo back with a slight reshuffle. Not necessarily my preference but I could see them doing it.
dont give them ideas.

Isnt rohan and close pressure fowards?

Dont need pressure fowards if the fowards keep marking it. They become redundant

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope Sav stays in.
I hope we win by 10 goals plus
I hope neither team has any injuries

He has to, that was a powerful display against what was supposed to be the best team in the comp. Not only that, if that's what he can do first time in why on earth wouldn't we want more, his power around the packs was devastating against the Richmond mids ,so much power in that body now.
Could've, should've had a couple of goals too.

Last edited:
He has to, that was a powerful display against what was supposed to be the best team in the comp. Not only that, if that's what he can do first time in why on earth wouldn't we want more, his power around the packs was devastating against the Richmond mids ,so much power in that body now.
Could've had a couple of goals too.

You’d think so but Chris Scott and the selection committee make weird choices sometimes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

foxdog50

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australia (Cricket)
I am confident of a win here. The statistical anomaly v Sydney aside, we are in form and coming off an inspirational win.
Ruck choice will be interesting. Marshall and Ryder are potent, bit nullify them and Saints look poor.
I think this week we have to play a genuine ruck ( hopefully Fort ) and Esava can play as the back up..
Fort form in the VFL, been in the the top 2 best in 3 games...
Reward for efforts

Apr 20, 2008
Sin City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
No One

Atkins must stay back. He’s been brilliant down there.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Atkins must stay back. He’s been brilliant down there.
He has been solid. Not brilliant. Now worthy of a starting 18 spot.

Let’s not confuse improvevent with level of performance.

stewart, Henderson And Henry have been performing far better. i would rank bews last couple of weeks as being better then atkins as well.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Bit left field but could Taheny come in for Dahlhaus to play as a defensive forward? Been playing as a defender in the VFL recently to develop his defensive game but is a natural forward. Is he ready yet?

You’d think though that Clark would come in for Simpson.

How far is O’Connor and Kolo from being available?
What you've just highlighted is that our top 30 depth is pretty good.

Danger
Stanley
Fort
Miers
O'Connor
Kolo
Clark
Simpson
Dalhaus
Jenkins

Those players could all make a case for why they should be a best 22 lock each week, yet they didn't play on Friday night (except Simpson who looks to spend a couple of weeks off with an injury).

And that's before you consider players like Taheny, Okonbur, Tsapatolis, Holmes, Stephens, Kreuger, De Konning, Constable and Neale who could all put their hand up to play a bit part this year and would be expected to hold their own.

Looks like we'll be making 2 changes ahead of Friday night with some doubts over Simpson & Dahlhaus

Surely first in to replace either of those guys is Narkle - came on as the sub and had a good second half, deserves to hold his spot which then leaves 1 spot to fill

While Ratugolea did do some ruck work on Friday night, we also seemed to preference Blicavs to take the bulk of the load and Ratugolea being more of the #2 - do they go similar against St Kilda or look to bring in Fort to take over the main ruck duties, with Blicavs dropping back?

If we bring in Fort, is that the second change and we leave it at that as no one really put a foot wrong on Friday night, or is there a 3rd change to accommodate the ruck coming in?

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Bit left field but could Taheny come in for Dahlhaus to play as a defensive forward? Been playing as a defender in the VFL recently to develop his defensive game but is a natural forward. Is he ready yet?

You’d think though that Clark would come in for Simpson.

How far is O’Connor and Kolo from being available?

OConnor did a hammy, he’s weeks off. Not sure on Kolo but I actually prefer the structure without him, not to mention his kicking is deplorable. Stanley in and Blitz goes back full time. Clark also in.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Pretty straightforward this week IMO -

Keep the same ruck setup, as it's perfectly matched to them, and expose the hell out of their defence, who really only have Howard as a decent tall right now.

Something like:

Henry > Membrey
Hendo > King
Blics > Marshall/Ryder when one of them drifts forward
Sav > Ryder/Marshall in the ruck as back up
Hawk to ruck up forward
Wilkie > Rohan
Howard > Jez
Carlisle or Frawley (if one of them is right to go) > Hawk (otherwise Howard > Hawk and Coffield or similar to Jez)

Narkle and Holmes/Clark in for Dahl and Simmo, with a solid effort from Zuthrie giving him the sub vest. If Kolo is right, then he's the second in.

P.S. Controversial opinion, but Blics is a liability if he plays too much time back, and Henry is really starting to break out, so I prefer Blics as a utility, rather than a lockdown key tall. Wouldn't have said that in previous years, but he's just not quick enough/skillful enough with ball in hand like say Hendo, to play such an important position.

Stark difference since the 2nd quarter against the Eagles when they got him out of there, with how we've played in the last 3 weeks. Also much more mobile and competitive than Stanley - so better amongst the mids.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back