Preview Geelong V Sydney - Rd 7 - Sat May 1st 725 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
That's actually damning for Clark lol and hurts your argument.
Zuthrie is seen by many as a waste of list spot while Clark seen as a budding young cats star in the making.

Zuthrie has had numerous stat less quarters. Plays a more dour role which prioritises getting the footy less yet most statistical categories don't see Clark winning them by heaps. Re-inforcing the argument that Clark is a little overhyped on here, and deserving of his spot outside our best side.

But this comes back to fan naivety. Fans seemingly have it in their heads that we can just on a whim change how we play, change our structures and nothing will be adversely affected. We saw that without Cameron as being a false premise, we had set ourselves up for a structure with Cameron and it looked disjointed in his absence. It is the same reason why guys screaming from their couches, and ultimately on here on game day for "Plan B" doesn't often happen. Clubs set up their sides, structures, list management around a nominal notion of how they want to play, and the players they need to execute that. Hard to turn around 5 minutes into the 3rd and ask them to disregard it for a completely foreign game plan.

As such, want to make it clear (CC: STPer18 ) that I have now got dwindling faith that Z.Guthrie will become a good AFL footballer, but alas, this is the structure we have adopted, so we should not be surprised or outraged that Zuthrie may be named in a couple hours time. 1 Def out. Possibly 1 Def in.

Kolo for Clark is not like for like, even if it becomes Kolo for Clark via Tuohy.

Zuthrie has been named in the VFL team.
At best he'll be in for a late change or medical sub.

At the moment it seems as though the changes will be

In Clark & Narkle
Out O'Connor & Kolo.

Zuthrie has been named in the VFL team.
At best he'll be in for a late change or medical sub.

At the moment it seems as though the changes will be

In Clark & Narkle
Out O'Connor & Kolo.
Dire changes. Two contributors out. Two passengers in.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Very good news. Whatever your thoughts on his output thus far, he'll be a damn solid inclusion for our massive GF rematch with the Tiges:

P.S Sav named in the VFL too, which is very good news as it means it really was only soreness last week :)

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
That's actually damning for Clark lol and hurts your argument.
Zuthrie is seen by many as a waste of list spot while Clark seen as a budding young cats star in the making.

Zuthrie has had numerous stat less quarters. Plays a more dour role which prioritises getting the footy less yet most statistical categories don't see Clark winning them by heaps. Re-inforcing the argument that Clark is a little overhyped on here, and deserving of his spot outside our best side.

But this comes back to fan naivety. Fans seemingly have it in their heads that we can just on a whim change how we play, change our structures and nothing will be adversely affected. We saw that without Cameron as being a false premise, we had set ourselves up for a structure with Cameron and it looked disjointed in his absence. It is the same reason why guys screaming from their couches, and ultimately on here on game day for "Plan B" doesn't often happen. Clubs set up their sides, structures, list management around a nominal notion of how they want to play, and the players they need to execute that. Hard to turn around 5 minutes into the 3rd and ask them to disregard it for a completely foreign game plan.

As such, want to make it clear (CC: STPer18 ) that I have now got dwindling faith that Z.Guthrie will become a good AFL footballer, but alas, this is the structure we have adopted, so we should not be surprised or outraged that Zuthrie may be named in a couple hours time. 1 Def out. Possibly 1 Def in.

Kolo for Clark is not like for like, even if it becomes Kolo for Clark via Tuohy.
Since Clark arrived at the Cats he has played 27 games had 351 disposals, made 70 tackles and kicked 15 goals,in that same time Zuth has played 7 games has had 67 disposals 10 tackles and kicked 2 goals.
I'm taking Clark every day of the week and twice on Sundays.Keep digging.

Since Clark arrived at the Cats he has played 27 games had 351 disposals, made 70 tackles and kicked 15 goals,in that same time Zuth has played 7 games has had 67 disposals 10 tackles and kicked 2 goals.
I'm taking Clark every day of the week and twice on Sundays.Keep digging.
Digging? I'd take neither.
Why is Clark so revered on here?

Give me Constable instead, and I don't overly rate him either.
I agree with you on MOC, but I'm rapt if Kolo is out, particularly against a Sydney side without Buddy & Reid.

Narkle I'm not convinced with yet & Clark I don't mind as long as he's not playing in the forward line.
Same with Narkle. Clark has one viable spot in the team atm.
Menegola, Duncan, Smith and Tuohy are all better at it than him however.

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Digging? I'd take neither.
Why is Clark so revered on here?

Give me Constable instead, and I don't overly rate him either.

Same with Narkle. Clark has one viable spot in the team atm.
Menegola, Duncan, Smith and Tuohy are all better at it than him however.
They would be my two in this week Clark and Constable.

witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
My 2c on Zuthrie and Clark…
Since he debuted I’ve liked the sense of composure and maturity Zuthrie displays. Also his decision making seems pretty good to me. Lacked significant size and still has a way to go. I feel if his frustration at not getting much AFL doesn’t get to him, he could become a staple in 2-3 years as a highly coachable and disciplined defender with elite decision making skills and commitment to team ethics. Don’t mind him in the team except it usually means we’re undermanned. Basically I think he’s a potential 150+ game AFL player who’s slowly growing int his career. The kind of player coaches love because they play a role when asked.
Clarke is the polar opposite type of player to Zuthrie for me, but with a very similar, but slightly advanced trajectory. Buzzing with talent, flair and swag when he started. But hubris, even when justified, will only get you so far at AFL level, particularly if you’re slight of build and ahead of the play naturally. He wouldn’t have been held accountable his entire junior career given his natural pace and talents. It’ll be 2 steps forward, 1 step back for him for a little while but WILL be a player. Having said that, he will be more “gettable” by other clubs so I reckon we may be 50/50 to keep him over the 2 seasons. If he’s still in the hoops in 2023, I reckon he’ll be comfortable Top 22 and a Cat for life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Since he debuted I’ve liked the sense of composure and maturity Zuthrie displays. Also his decision making seems pretty good to me. Lacked significant size and still has a way to go. I feel if his frustration at not getting much AFL doesn’t get to him, he could become a staple in 2-3 years as a highly coachable and disciplined defender with elite decision making skills and commitment to team ethics. Don’t mind him in the team except it usually means we’re undermanned. Basically I think he’s a potential 150+ game AFL player who’s slowly growing int his career. The kind of player coaches love because they play a role when asked.
Clarke is the polar opposite type of player to Zuthrie for me, but with a very similar, but slightly advanced trajectory. Buzzing with talent, flair and swag when he started. But hubris, even when justified, will only get you so far at AFL level, particularly if you’re slight of build and ahead of the play naturally. He wouldn’t have been held accountable his entire junior career given his natural pace and talents. It’ll be 2 steps forward, 1 step back for him for a little while but WILL be a player. Having said that, he will be more “gettable” by other clubs so I reckon we may be 50/50 to keep him over the 2 seasons. If he’s still in the hoops in 2023, I reckon he’ll be comfortable Top 22 and a Cat for life.

You saying there 7 or 8 year to develop a half back flanker?

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
We're comparing Clark to someone like Z.Guthrie now? What the * is happening?

giphy.gif

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Good post by Witsend but disagree with the charge of "hubris". This sort of allegation - like the all too frequent charges of softness - are totally subjective and not evidence-based. How would you know?

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

If his role is to get no touches in a half, he dominates. Seriously he is nothing more than a list clogger who can only get a game when we have a heap of injuries. Such a low ceiling. Just delist and draft someone with upside, cause he has none.

So, we going with Zuth or Constable as sub?

The Cats have a 60% winning record at the SCG. They've won their previous four games against the Swans by an average of 17 points, with two of those games coming at the SCG.

Geelong's medical substitute will be announced an hour prior to the game.

Round 7 Team
In: Jordan Clark, Quinton Narkle

Out: Mark O'Connor (injured), Jake Kolodjashnij (injured)

BacksLachie HendersonMark BlicavsJack Henry
Half BacksTom AtkinsTom StewartJordan Clark
CentrelineIsaac SmithQuinton NarkleZach Tuohy
Half ForwardsLuke DahlhausJeremy CameronBrandan Parfitt
ForwardsGary RohanTom HawkinsBrad Close
FollowersRhys StanleyMitch DuncanJoel Selwood
InterchangeJed BewsCameron GuthrieSam Menegola
Gryan Miers
EmergenciesNick StevensZach GuthrieCharlie Constable
Josh Jenkins

Let the melts begin...

Seat warmers for Higgins and Kolo (possibly) v Richmond. Expect little from either. Shame about MOC because his tagging was merely a warm up for the reason we’ve made the switch. To see if he can clamp Dusty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back