Preview Geelong v West Coast Sunday Apr 28 @ GMHBA

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our forward pressure will be pivotal in deciding this one.
The Eagles are the best at switching the footy in defence and using the width of Optus and MCG to move the ball precisely forward by foot , their turnover rate is low and they hit up their tall forwards well and have the crumbers at their feet.
The narrow GMHBA should help us , also the Eagles won't run in waves through the corridor like the Giants did to us.
If our forwards can stop the switch and trap it in F50 or force a rushed exit kick we can have the game on our terms.
Talk around the coffee machine this morning was that the Eagles were lethargic and didn't come to play like Port did - that won't happen 2 games in a row so this one should be a cracker :)

Great summary.

I hope we can learn from Port's win over West Coast that bombing it forward is out, and kicking it low and short inside 50 is the best way to combat their defence. It might be hard for the Cats cos bombing is a go to move. I think our midfield can match theirs, and we'll have a tall defence to cover their plethora of talls in their forward line.

No doubt Parfitt will be out, even though it's not a serious quad strain. That leaves the door open for Constable to come back in.

Like many, I have serious doubts with the Big Sav at the moment, his form is really poor overall and the question is will the selectors persevere with the big man or decide to give him some time back in the two's. Maybe time to give Darcy Fort a run as we need a back up ruckman to Reece. I wouldn't mind the way Big Sav is going if he was still kicking the odd goal, but even that's been lacking. I have a feeling they'll keep him in against WCE anyway because he can play a role as decoy for their defenders.

Will Tuohy get a run this week? They'd probably have to drop Clark for him, but the kid doesn't deserve it based on form and performance.

This game to me will be a bit like the one we played against the Giants meaning the WCE has the midfield strength and depth to run over us if our guys fall off their game as it goes on. No doubt there'll be moments when they dominate us, but I like how the Cats just hang in there until they can get the game back on their terms again. This is something not to be underestimated or seen as a failure. When you play good teams you have to cope with them getting periods of momentum, that's football.

You'd have to assume that West Coast would be fully aware of their backline being exposed against Port. As such, they will already be planning their counter-moves to sides deciding to deliver chaos balls all day inside 50. The question is, do they have the personnel to design a tactic to circumvent this? I'm not sure they do? Personally I'd rather not start the game with a plan to make the forward 50 an absolute messy scrap, but it would be a good ace up the sleeve to say that if the game reaches a specific margin, we make absolutely certain not to deliver the ball inside 50 to a contast in the air. Ground balls only, unless you can hit a teammate lace-out on the run.
Our new forward structure should really suit this kind of game. It will be intriguing to see what we try to bring.

I hope we can learn from Port's win over West Coast that bombing it forward is out, and kicking it low and short inside 50 is the best way to combat their defence. It might be hard for the Cats cos bombing is a go to move. I think our midfield can match theirs, and we'll have a tall defence to cover their plethora of talls in their forward line.

No doubt Parfitt will be out, even though it's not a serious quad strain. That leaves the door open for Constable to come back in.

Like many, I have serious doubts with the Big Sav at the moment, his form is really poor overall and the question is will the selectors persevere with the big man or decide to give him some time back in the two's. Maybe time to give Darcy Fort a run as we need a back up ruckman to Reece. I wouldn't mind the way Big Sav is going if he was still kicking the odd goal, but even that's been lacking. I have a feeling they'll keep him in against WCE anyway because he can play a role as decoy for their defenders.

Will Tuohy get a run this week? They'd probably have to drop Clark for him, but the kid doesn't deserve it based on form and performance.

This game to me will be a bit like the one we played against the Giants meaning the WCE has the midfield strength and depth to run over us if our guys fall off their game as it goes on. No doubt there'll be moments when they dominate us, but I like how the Cats just hang in there until they can get the game back on their terms again. This is something not to be underestimated or seen as a failure. When you play good teams you have to cope with them getting periods of momentum, that's football.
Agree with what you say with one exception - if Tuohy is fit he has to be selected, IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far as Sav goes is a little concerning but watching the replay again last night his ruck work was nearly always good. Obviously if sore/injured should come out but otherwise still playing a role we won't get from anyone else.

We'll win this by 4 or 5 goals. The Eagles play a slow tempo style and like to use the wider grounds.

In: Tuohy, Constable

Out: Clark (rest) Parfitt (inj)

Tempted to bring in Fort for Ratugolea if he's sore.

Same changes for me. Still want to develop Esava throughout the year.

Same changes for me. Still want to develop Esava throughout the year.
I think Sav needs a rest but the conundrum is we really don't have anyone to replace him. He actually sures up our structure and Fort is the only tall (besides Buzza) who has been consistently kicking goals at the lower level and he's a better ruckman than Buzza which is important given the Eagles have Hickey and Vardy in the side. It's why I'd have liked to see Kreuger playing forward in the VFL because he's the only other legitimate forward we have in our VFL side..

I wouldn't rest Ablett yet either given we can get a two game buffer on West Coast and reduce the chance of interstate travel in the finals.

I wouldn't rest Ablett yet either given we can get a two game buffer on West Coast and reduce the chance of interstate travel in the finals.

Yep would be really disappointing to lose home games to both GWS and WC when they are the interstate sides most likely to compete for top 4 and home finals.

I think Sav needs a rest but the conundrum is we really don't have anyone to replace him. He actually sures up our structure and Fort is the only tall (besides Buzza) who has been consistently kicking goals at the lower level and he's a better ruckman than Buzza which is important given the Eagles have Hickey and Vardy in the side. It's why I'd have liked to see Kreuger playing forward in the VFL because he's the only other legitimate forward we have in our VFL side..

Unless he's injured I can't see how Ratagolea needs a rest? He probably runs less distance than anyone else in our team. I just think he needs games. And more games. Those marks will eventually start to stick more often and hopefully the impact on the scoreboard will follow.

Last edited:
Unless he's injured I can't see how Ratagolea needs a rest? He probably runs less distance than anyone else in our team. I just think he needs games. And more games. Those marks will eventually start to stick more often and hopefully the impact on the scoreboard will follow.
Yep. As I've said before. People need to get over the whole "hmn who needs a rest? such and such was a bit poor on the week end maybe they need a rest."

BULL s**t! Only the club and player really know and this early on I doubt it would be the case.

Different story if we're talking about possible injury/corky though. Jumped pretty well the last play of the game for someone suffering one of them though.

question for the people that watch the VFL regularly.

i know smith didn't play on the weekend, but usually we have Smith, Abbott & Fort in the one side. when this happens i assume at least 2 of them get a good amount of time playing forward. Who usually plays the most time forward, and how do they look purely as a forward, not a ruck?

Esava while promising, clearly isn't performing that highly at the moment so if he continues that you'd say he might make way for a bit.

it seems we have 3 genuine rucks in the 2's along with buzza as a for/ruck. Surely with that many rucks though they must all be getting some time in other positions?

Obviously Constable for Parfitt (inj), I'd prefer Tuohy to play another full game in the VFL after missing so much footy. Otherwise I'd accept Abbott for Sav or be happy to keep Sav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back