Preview Geelong v West Coast Sunday Apr 28 @ GMHBA

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Constable in for Parfitt. No other changes needed unless due to injury. As Vdubs said our forward line did well with minimal impact on the board from Sav ( and Hawkins). I reckon Sav is getting better each week, albeit by small margins

Watching the VFL replay now. Narkle dished up both Fort's goals on a platter and kicked one himself in the first half. Tuohy had three touches in one piece of play and not much else up to half time.

Constable for Parfitt only for mine.

Narkles defensive efforts are still poor.

Constable for Parfitt and Abbott for Sav for mine.
If Tuohy is fit him for Henry or Clark (rested).

question for the people that watch the VFL regularly.

i know smith didn't play on the weekend, but usually we have Smith, Abbott & Fort in the one side. when this happens i assume at least 2 of them get a good amount of time playing forward. Who usually plays the most time forward, and how do they look purely as a forward, not a ruck?

Esava while promising, clearly isn't performing that highly at the moment so if he continues that you'd say he might make way for a bit.

it seems we have 3 genuine rucks in the 2's along with buzza as a for/ruck. Surely with that many rucks though they must all be getting some time in other positions?

Abbott is carrying the ruck and Fort playing largely forward. Smith a mix of the two.

Chook for Parfitt is a given with the quad injury.

I have a strong bias for keeping a winning side together and so i wouldn't be bringing Tuohy in until he plays out a full vfl match.

That bias also extends to Sav staying in but he did look a little inhibited at times so if the medicos say he needs to sit one out I'm going Smith in as the #1 ruck and Rhys to CHF.

If we're copying the port adelaide tactic of dirty entries too, then what would people think of debuting Kreuger as a bit of a left field option. He has enough height to bring it ground and is agile enough to help out once it's on the deck. Not expecting him to be ready but you can hope.

IN: Constable, Tuohy
OUT: Parfitt (inj), Clark/Henry (managed)

Barrass missing is a big loss for them - he’s easily their best one on one defender and as important to them as Blicavs is to us. He certainly would have taken Hawkins and now Tom will likely have Schofield instead.

We need McGovern’s man (Sav, I think) to get active and dangerous - play as a decoy if need be, just stop McGovern from blocking Hawkins’ leads.

WCE on the rebound is a scary proposition and we are traditionally a bit flat the game after Easter Monday, but I can’t see us losing two in a row at home after such a strong start to the season.

Cats by 16.

Narkles defensive efforts are still poor.

Constable for Parfitt and Abbott for Sav for mine.
If Tuohy is fit him for Henry or Clark (rested).
Agree with the changes. (Perhaps keep Henry given the Eagles talks).

I worry about relying on Stanley as the only genuine ruck (on past history he is overdue for an injury - which are often early in games). Also, Abbott deserves a game and should be getting some more senior games into him as our no. 2 (ie rather than Sav as a forward/ruck).

Still think we persist with Sav after a game or two to get some touches and goals in VFL - the ingredients are there - speed, agility, size, strength, good tackler, leap, good hands and a pretty long kick and appetite for contest - very rare to have all of these in a KP player - just is raw, very very raw. Just needs games. Also - I wonder if he is playing with pain - likely after such a bad break.

While great to see Sav take that mark late in the game, he was looking really sore halfway through the last quarter - they were trying to get him off the ground & get Stanley back on, Sav was almost jogging on the spot when trying to get off.

It was interesting a couple of minutes later when Hawkins wanted to come off and it initially seemed they tried to turn him away, especially as no one was waiting to come back on. But Hawkins kept going to bench and indicated he was having a rest; couldn't quite see but it looked like he was sitting in the bench before Sav even stood up.

I understand the argument that structurally Sav is playing an important role in the side, but if he continues to average 6.4 disposals, 1.2 marks & 0.2 goals per game, opposition defenders are going to start dropping off him to double team Hawkins or Rohan because they won't deem Sav a threat and when that happens, his 5.8 hitouts & ruck relief aren't really going to be enough to keep him in the side.

As a comparison, his 2018 numbers were 8.6 disposals, 3.2 marks, 0.9 goals, 0.5 goal assists, 7.8 hitouts. A spell in the VFL may be good for his confidence and help things click as he just seems off the pace of AFL at the moment.

Our forward pressure will be pivotal in deciding this one.
The Eagles are the best at switching the footy in defence and using the width of Optus and MCG to move the ball precisely forward by foot , their turnover rate is low and they hit up their tall forwards well and have the crumbers at their feet.
The narrow GMHBA should help us , also the Eagles won't run in waves through the corridor like the Giants did to us.
If our forwards can stop the switch and trap it in F50 or force a rushed exit kick we can have the game on our terms.
Talk around the coffee machine this morning was that the Eagles were lethargic and didn't come to play like Port did - that won't happen 2 games in a row so this one should be a cracker :)
yeah I agree that the dimensions of GMHBA is an advantage in terms of their game style

In: Constable, Zuthrie, Fort
Out: Parfitt, Clark, Sav

Zuthrie is banging the door down and deserves a run to rest Clark who we will need at the ‘G against Essendon.
Sav also needs a rest or a run in the 2s to get his timing and confidence back and Fort is the best next in line atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cats forward line efficiency has been buzzing so I wouldn’t be dropping anyone from the forwards. Eagles defence had a downer too, so let’s get at them! Not sure about touhy for first game back against speed freaks petruccelle and Ryan . They might push Guthrie back? Hutchings to Kelly probably, so let’s hope cats have got one up their sleeve for their defensive midfield. They’ll be angry, Audit time coming up!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was staggered with the Weegles last weekend how inept their two key forwards were at home against Port....not sure how many play Supercoach but Kennedy scored just 24, and Darling scored 9!! That would have to be by the length of the Flemington straight by far the worst efforts at home those two have ever put up in Perth. It's been a while since Geelong has played the Eagles at KP too, and it would be a good opportunity if we can apply the same pressure and discipline here as most of this season and inflict a 3rd defeat upon them.

There's no Nic nat, and Lycett is not their anymore too, so ruck-wise they are not much better off than us, remember it was last season when we lost Stanley to an injury halfway through the game, and indeed i think possibly Guthrie and Gazza too were unavailable by 3/4 time, and they unsurprisingly came over the top of Geelong. I reckon our side has a lot more potency and the weaknesses of last year have been plugged somewhat by additions of Rohan, Dahl, Meirs and Atkins....i am quite confident Geelong can more than match them. Won't be easy, but i reckon Geelong has the vim and vigor to deal the Eagles another defeat here.

Parfitt will probably go out, i guess if Zach is fir he may well come in. I wouldn't be resting Gazza, not in a home game like this. Perhaps in an interstate game, but he's playing great footy and i'm sure enjoys being back at Geelong. He'd love to play at KP for sure.

Whilst the Cat's will worry about their game and getting it right, i'm sure they the MC would have had a look at the way PA dismantled the eagles.

Big test for Geelong...

One might say...

Collingwood.. Should have won and were underdone
Melb ... Looking more and more like they have had a bighead offseason
Adelaide... Any win over there is good but they are not playing like there were predicted
GWS .... Looked like a differnt level to us
Haw... Undermaned

Preseason it looked like the fixture from hell..but the match ups have fallen our way a bit....

but now we play WC off a loss.. we play at home after losing at home last time out..

Big test for Geelong .. serious threat or not

Last edited:
Whilst the Cat's will worry about their game and getting it right, i'm sure they the MC would have had a look at the way PA dismantled the eagles.

Yeah Chris Scott did allude to that on AFL 360. I reckon the most interested in watching that replay would be Buckley.

Last edited:
Big test for Geelong...

One might say...

Adelaide... Any win over there is good but they are not playing like there were predicted
Haw... Undermaned

Preseason it looked like the fixture from hell..but the match ups have fallen our way a bit....

but niw we play WC off a loss.. we play at home after losing at home last time out..

Very glass half empty there, Turbo. I don't think you're giving us enough credit for those wins. To be 4-1 is certainly no fluke and given we have blooded several young and promising players, this year has been a raging success so far.

Big test this week as you say, but we are rightfully favourites heading into this one. West Coast might be the reigning premiers but they have been badly dismantled twice this season already, one of them at home. I'm just going to continue enjoying the journey and seeing the development of our young players. I personally don't think we're a contender as we're still very much transitioning this list, that's why I have just enjoyed the wins week by week. Others will disagree and have greater expectations.

I don't get to bogged down thinking about top 4 and flags, it becomes less enjoyable. If I'm wrong and we can contend with this developing list, it's just a massive bonus.

Big test for Geelong...

One might say...

Haw... Undermaned

but niw we play WC off a loss.. we play at home after losing at home last time out..

You could have just gone with "it's not who you play but when you play them"
In Constable for Parfitt inj and Smith for Sav managed.
The club should have another look at Smith against reasonable opposition with a decision having to be made on him this year(out of contract).
2E back for Essendon,with no VFL this weekend he will be in heavy training this and early next week.

Very glass half empty there, Turbo. I don't think you're giving us enough credit for those wins. To be 4-1 is certainly no fluke and given we have blooded several young and promising players, this year has been a raging success so far.
I didn't think we'd be 4-1, put it that way.

There's also just the visual test, too - in terms of the quality of the actual game itself. You can tell a Geelong vs GWS game from a Norf vs Adelaide shitshow. The Collingwood game was scrappy, but that's Collingwood, we were slightly the better side, and it's also Round One. The rest of them were all genuinely good performances, not perfect but certainly good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back