VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. You do need to watch to get the context. Tom played forward a lot. And not against Toby. He did play well against a backline that has bean beaten all year.

Toby will be fine
What I like about Conway is that he cares about where his taps go... He doesn't just go up and try to get a hand on it, he tries to put it in a position to advantage the rovers.

In a few years, I can see him being a very strong legit tap ruckman.

He is a kid playing against men... Will take time for sure, but I like the realistic idea of what he can become (unlike a Cooper Stephens type).

Didn't get the opportunity to watch it but from the looks of the comments and the sounds of the afl.com article I reckon afl.com have done the entire write up by reading the possession stats

Shaun Higgins made a strong return from knee surgery in Geelong's two-point win over Sandringham on Sunday.

Higgins, who underwent knee surgery last month, had 23 disposals, seven clearances and kicked a goal as he pushes for a late-season recall to the AFL side.

Quinton Narkle was also impressive for Geelong with a game-high 29 touches and a goal.

Zane Williams, taken in the NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft, had 22 disposals for the Cats, while Oliver Dempsey finished with 18.

Sam Simpson (18 disposals and a goal), Francis Evans (21 and a goal) and Mitch Knevitt (24) were also good contributors.

Osca Riccardi, the son of Peter, made his VFL debut and finished with 12 disposals and a goal.

This year is hard Higgins Dahlhaus Narkle i think Selwood retires then i would drop Simpson Evans from main list then rookie them, then wait and see if we need more spots.....oh and Williams delist
Agree. It is hard. Reckon they want to delist or trade at least 6 from main list. Maybe more. (3 to draft 1 -2 for trade and a couple need to go up from rookie list).

Not easy given all first years are contracted for next year. And only reason Steven’s as second year player (Holmes signed). I think they will give Steven’s one more year?

So that means delist need to come from others. Agree with you in terms of Dal Higgins and Narkle (maybe trade?) and possibly Selwood retire (shame!).

The other 2-3 needed is really hard. SAV was on my list but they need to trade or keep and think they will keep as vfl key backman to see how he goes? Unless they get some value?

As you work your way up that leaves really just choices of simpson Stephen’s and Francis. All other players I think are pretty safe? (In fact when you take out the ones I have mentioned you pretty much get to the 26 “squad” some how?).

I think Frank and Simpson at risk. Your idea of rookie might make sense (unless they rookie one of the very older players?).

Cooper Stephen’s is an interesting one. I like what he did this year but is he at Risk depending on what player we trade for?

Tough time this year. In 15 months time I think it gets easier with more retirements and some younger players coming off contract.

Agree. It is hard. Reckon they want to delist or trade at least 6 from main list. Maybe more. (3 to draft 1 -2 for trade and a couple need to go up from rookie list).

Not easy given all first years are contracted for next year. And only reason Steven’s as second year player (Holmes signed). I think they will give Steven’s one more year?

So that means delist need to come from others. Agree with you in terms of Dal Higgins and Narkle (maybe trade?) and possibly Selwood retire (shame!).

The other 2-3 needed is really hard. SAV was on my list but they need to trade or keep and think they will keep as vfl key backman to see how he goes? Unless they get some value?

As you work your way up that leaves really just choices of simpson Stephen’s and Francis. All other players I think are pretty safe? (In fact when you take out the ones I have mentioned you pretty much get to the 26 “squad” some how?).

I think Frank and Simpson at risk. Your idea of rookie might make sense (unless they rookie one of the very older players?).

Cooper Stephen’s is an interesting one. I like what he did this year but is he at Risk depending on what player we trade for?

Tough time this year. In 15 months time I think it gets easier with more retirements and some younger players coming off contract.

Cooper is contracted for next season

Watched the second half and observed as follows:

Willis very promising - quick enough, clean hands; didn't see his marks and goal;
Simpson is clever but v slow for a mid;
Williams looked better down back;
Ling and Stevens took too long kicking the ball in and paid for it;
Sav was Sav - doesn't seem to be progressing;
Dempsey clearly has a tank and worked in to the game;
Knevitt is an unusual player and consequently hard to assess - his kicking is very average at this stage.

Good to get a win.

Is Ceglar injured?

Not sure i ass
Noticed that. They had a crack. Sandy good team so a good effort

Narkle looked dominating early then again seemed disinterested. Higgins did enough to keep his vfl and coaching roles!

Sam tries to do too much I think. Got himself into trouble a number of times.

Ollie unsighted in first half but much improved last half. Should persist on the wing as that will be his spot with a couple more pre seasons.

Frank is interesting. Afl skills but I think just not enough speed.

Loved SAV in backline. Should persist

Bruce Willis best viewing so far. Has something.

Mitch also I think will keep getting better.

Good day at the footy.

Liked willis..coming from a long way back fitness wise but talented. Knevitt finding forn again too which is good.

I doubt higgins plays afl again but he is good afl finals backup if we get injuries..has a great attitude.

Agree with all of that.

Fyi stephens (cooper) is contracted for next year nick stevens isnt

Watched the second half and observed as follows:

Willis very promising - quick enough, clean hands; didn't see his marks and goal;
Simpson is clever but v slow for a mid;
Williams looked better down back;
Ling and Stevens took too long kicking the ball in and paid for it;
Sav was Sav - doesn't seem to be progressing;
Dempsey clearly has a tank and worked in to the game;
Knevitt is an unusual player and consequently hard to assess - his kicking is very average at this stage.

Good to get a win.
He looks like he is really hard to tackle.
Was kinda like a semi-hot knife through butter in tight from what I saw (I won't say hot and go overboard) but he looked promising.
Sometimes you just see a kid do something and think "that will be an asset" and he moved in and out a bunch of times just in this one game.

I will say that I have not really seen much from Cooper Stephens that makes me think that in time, he will be better than a fringe plodder.

This may answer questions regarding Ceglar

Annoying as i reckon he was only playing vfl today for match fitness and would have played afl next week...round 23 it is.

Annoying as i reckon he was only playing vfl today for match fitness and would have played afl next week...round 23 it is.
They could have played Stanley/Ceglar as a combo this week with Blitz out but chose not to. I don't think they'll put Stanley and Ceglar in the same team

They could have played Stanley/Ceglar as a combo this week with Blitz out but chose not to. I don't think they'll put Stanley and Ceglar in the same team

I think they would have next week because of witts but regardless it will be ok. Last night was more tactical ie saints had no 2nd ruck so we didnt play one. I would expect we try the 2 rucks together in round 23 especially if its a dead rubber game.

I think they would have next week because of witts but regardless it will be ok. Last night was more tactical ie saints had no 2nd ruck so we didnt play one. I would expect we try the 2 rucks together in round 23 especially if its a dead rubber game.
Yeah maybe, but I don't think we would with Blitz back at least

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did, and there's every chance I was wrong to do so. Need to see a bit more
Plus let's see do a preseason in him doing this to...
But I'll ask you this question...
If a club comes and eg pick 44... do you take it ... or give him a chance to see what he can do in defence for 2023?

Plus let's see do a preseason in him doing this to...
But I'll ask you this question...
If a club comes and eg pick 44... do you take it ... or give him a chance to see what he can do in defence for 2023?
If it's me I'd take the pick because we will likely need the list spot. But again, every chance that could be the wrong decision

Based on today’s performance Willis looks the most likely of the young brigade.
He was good today. Is quick and with a good side step. Lots to be excited about.

Your qualifier is important though ”based on today performance”…true for today (his most promising game of the three He played. But Mitch and Ollie have shown enough this year to think we might get a few come through (and cooper Whyte showed something before getting injured). And Toby will develop massively into a top shelf ruckman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back