VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only saw the highlights but looked a pretty good game. Huge effort by the Bankers to rebound like that after an abysmal run of form.
Highlights included some very impressive efforts from Tsap - loved goal from the pocket - wonder if there is some longer term potential after all. Probably too far back.
I'll save you the wondering... As harsh as this will sound, he simply will not make it at AFL level and I'd be very surprised if he ever played a single game.

The good news here is that Conway to my eye didn't even get beaten badly. Although I agree that at this stage, it matters little if he does.

There were a number of times that he actually out-bodied his opponent and grabbed the ball out of the ruck and handballed it to a midfielder... So instead of getting a tap stat, he got a handball and clearance (that is a strength of his that will be a really strong move in the AFL I think down the track).

To see a "baby" in the ruck game do this to an experienced full-grown man was very encouraging.

He also took a couple of nice grabs and competed at ground level.

Don't sweat the stats that Campbell had, because he got a lot when he was playing out of the ruck and also rucking against Tsaps and Ceglar early.

He obviously got a number on Conway aswell when they were up against each other, but it wasn't at all like he was just having his way with a younger and less mature Conway... This is where seeing the game/contests tells the story much better than breezing over the stats.

Campbell had a good game, no doubt (not against Toby all game) but we won and Conway helped us win, he did some things that made me think "gee that is pretty good for a kid" and to me he held his own and did not look like he was up against a guy that was beating him badly.

Maybe he ran out of steam late... But he looked very promising to me for sure. Have a look at his 2nd 1/4.

High hopes for Conway.
Low hopes for Cooper Stephens.
Willis looked like a real prospect as well, which was a bonus.
Knevitt warming to the task at VFL level and I think will be decent in a year or two (although I feel he could be an inside mid when fully grown, but he is kinda out of position the wing).
really don't get the time to watch the VFL, or i would chuck it on during the weekend as well.

thanks for that write up tho! sheds a bit of perspective that is good to hear and clarifies a bit.

how did he look when in the ruck vs cambell?? you mentioned he pushed him out of the way and grabbed the ball? that is not something you hear an 18 year old doing to a 31 year old ruck very often.

The good news here is that Conway to my eye didn't even get beaten badly. Although I agree that at this stage, it matters little if he does.

There were a number of times that he actually out-bodied his opponent and grabbed the ball out of the ruck and handballed it to a midfielder... So instead of getting a tap stat, he got a handball and clearance (that is a strength of his that will be a really strong move in the AFL I think down the track).

To see a "baby" in the ruck game do this to an experienced full-grown man was very encouraging.

He also took a couple of nice grabs and competed at ground level.

Don't sweat the stats that Campbell had, because he got a lot when he was playing out of the ruck and also rucking against Tsaps and Ceglar early.

He obviously got a number on Conway aswell when they were up against each other, but it wasn't at all like he was just having his way with a younger and less mature Conway... This is where seeing the game/contests tells the story much better than breezing over the stats.

Campbell had a good game, no doubt (not against Toby all game) but we won and Conway helped us win, he did some things that made me think "gee that is pretty good for a kid" and to me he held his own and did not look like he was up against a guy that was beating him badly.

Maybe he ran out of steam late... But he looked very promising to me for sure. Have a look at his 2nd 1/4.

High hopes for Conway.
Low hopes for Cooper Stephens.
Willis looked like a real prospect as well, which was a bonus.
Knevitt warming to the task at VFL level and I think will be decent in a year or two (although I feel he could be an inside mid when fully grown, but he is kinda out of position the wing).
low hopes for stephens?? he has looked alright with his limited exposure at AFL.

expect him to push his way into our best 22 next season if he is going to make it as an A grade mid... he should force himself to be selected in 2023, no excuses.

how did he look when in the ruck vs cambell?? you mentioned he pushed him out of the way and grabbed the ball? that is not something you hear an 18 year old doing to a 31 year old ruck very often.
Campbell would have won most of his tap from bulk and experience... He seemed to position himself in front of Conway at boundary throw-ins and with them starting so far back, he was is the prime spot to win the tap.

Conway did hold his own though and got a couple of down the throat taps, behind the head and grabbed it out of the ruck V Campbell 2 or 3 times and handballed.

Probably only rucked 55-60% of the game as well I'd guess with Ceglar (only a little in the 1st) Tsap and Zdybell chipping in and taking turns.

Conway still needs time to get stronger/fitter etc... But is tracking nicely and seems to hold his own when rucking.

low hopes for stephens?? he has looked alright with his limited exposure at AFL.

expect him to push his way into our best 22 next season if he is going to make it as an A grade mid... he should force himself to be selected in 2023, no excuses.
I just don't see it with him.
Doesn't have many tricks.
I hope I'm wrong with him... I'm usually pretty spot on with my early vibes on a player.
But ill be very happy to be wrong on him, just don't see him being anything more than a fringe player though.
Maybe he forges an ok career, I don't think he will get close to "A Grade" level though.

I hope I'm wrong with him... I'm usually pretty spot on with my early vibes on a player.
But ill be very happy to be wrong on him, just don't see him being anything more than a fringe player though.
Maybe he forges an ok career, I don't think he will get close to "A Grade" level though.

Agree. Can throw knevitt in that bracket too for mine, unfortunately

i am a bit of a hung jury myself on Cooper.. I think next year will reveal all after he gets his second pre season under his belt after a full VFL season with a few AFL games.

He feels a bit ineffecive and in no mans land at the moment with his skillset. Not a good enough contested footballer in contests, and not quite good enough spreading and defending. Also does not seem to have a burst of acceleration either or much speed?

i imagine if he makes the grade, his contested inside work will be the primary factor, and he also needs to elevate his running capabilities both ways to the standard to defend and also transition.

Can he do this? i am not sure. Hung Jury

i am a bit of a hung jury myself on Cooper.. I think next year will reveal all after he gets his second pre season under his belt after a full VFL season with a few AFL games.

He feels a bit ineffecive and in no mans land at the moment with his skillset. Not a good enough contested footballer in contests, and not quite good enough spreading and defending. Also does not seem to have a burst of acceleration either or much speed?

i imagine if he makes the grade, his contested inside work will be the primary factor, and he also needs to elevate his running capabilities both ways to the standard to defend and also transition.

Can he do this? i am not sure. Hung Jury
I agree and feel very similar.

He certainly doesn't look like he is going to be a speedy, silky skilled outside type.

He is going to need to become an inside beast.

But if you got it, you got it... Holmes comes in a year later after hardly playing footy at all and just gives him windburn as he passes him.

Agree, he just looks vanilla to me, don’t see any outstanding quality, no tricks.

So this week’s VFL is looking pretty weak I would think…

AFL team will take 3 and maybe 4 emergencies to Gold Coast. Even though there are 4 to come back into AFL (rested or injured last week) I think high change Danger doesn’t come back in so will be 3 players in to AFL with Smith plus 1 other rested I reckon and Dal out of the team. But last week we only had 1 emergency (Frank) and 1 Sub (Ceglar concussed) who both played VFL next day. I think emergencies next week in AFL (who won’t play VFL) will be Sal, Higgins, and 2 of Neale/Frank/Simpson/Stevens. (So only 2 of those 4 will play VFL - max 3)

Stephens is still injured so won’t play.

Dempsey and Conway got injured during the game (Conway was trying to get back on at the end and Dempsey did very well to play through it in the last quarter - he hasn’t been injured all year). Now both may play but I suspect they will be very cautious so expect one or both to miss.

Will have 2 of the emergency possibilities I mentioned above and 3/4 first year players (Mitch, Bruce, Williams and maybe Conway) and Tsas. So maybe 7 listed players but all very inexperienced. Might not be pretty

Yep just needs a clear run injury free.

Just watched the replay.

Sav sounds like a lovely guy but man he is s**t at football

I know he was plated down back but even there he just looked lost. Took one good mark and immediately coughed it up.

It was also noticeable that when the opposition scored from a running goal from 45-50m and you caught a glimpse of him he was floating around in no nans land.
Need to offload.

Just watched the replay.

Sav sounds like a lovely guy but man he is s**t at football

I know he was plated down back but even there he just looked lost. Took one good mark and immediately coughed it up.

It was also noticeable that when the opposition scored from a running goal from 45-50m and you caught a glimpse of him he was floating around in no nans land.
Need to offload.
i can’t argue with you. He is a nice guy….and I can’t see him working his way back into the team in 2023. The switch to back is worth a try (as zero hope as ruck nor forward with others going way past him) and to be fair he had glimpses. But not sure what type of afl defender he can be.

it is your last point that is harder to agree with. Not that we should try to offload but that there will be demand? He is contracted so if we can’t get anything for him they will keep him I assume down back in VFL until delist end of next?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i can’t argue with you. He is a nice guy….and I can’t see him working his way back into the team in 2023. The switch to back is worth a try (as zero hope as ruck nor forward with others going way past him) and to be fair he had glimpses. But not sure what type of afl defender he can be.

it is your last point that is harder to agree with. Not that we should try to offload but that there will be demand? He is contracted so if we can’t get anything for him they will keep him I assume down back in VFL until delist end of next?
Best case scenario is he gets packaged into a deal either Giants. Another year in the VFL and he's a delist.

Best case scenario is he gets packaged into a deal either Giants. Another year in the VFL and he's a delist.
Sav should try out as a backrower for the Rebels rugby Union club. Get the ball and smash into the opposition. And good in the line out.

Was, say, Ben Cunnington any better than Cooper Stephens at the same point in his career? Not every A-grade footballer looks like a star from Day One. I still think Stephens will furnish in to a bona fide AFL player of the kind, rather like Cunnington, who is tough inside, accumulates possies and finds team-mates. I would suggest that his disposal will at least equal and probably better that of the Crouch brothers, whom he in some ways resembles.

So this week’s VFL is looking pretty weak I would think…

AFL team will take 3 and maybe 4 emergencies to Gold Coast. Even though there are 4 to come back into AFL (rested or injured last week) I think high change Danger doesn’t come back in so will be 3 players in to AFL with Smith plus 1 other rested I reckon and Dal out of the team. But last week we only had 1 emergency (Frank) and 1 Sub (Ceglar concussed) who both played VFL next day. I think emergencies next week in AFL (who won’t play VFL) will be Sal, Higgins, and 2 of Neale/Frank/Simpson/Stevens. (So only 2 of those 4 will play VFL - max 3)

Stephens is still injured so won’t play.

Dempsey and Conway got injured during the game (Conway was trying to get back on at the end and Dempsey did very well to play through it in the last quarter - he hasn’t been injured all year). Now both may play but I suspect they will be very cautious so expect one or both to miss.

Will have 2 of the emergency possibilities I mentioned above and 3/4 first year players (Mitch, Bruce, Williams and maybe Conway) and Tsas. So maybe 7 listed players but all very inexperienced. Might not be pretty
Does not matter most in our VFL side look tired AFL plus the top up players, first full season for 3 years, just don't want any injuries this time of the year

CATS CALL UP FOR FALCON​

Geelong-Falcons-Boys-Ted-Clohesy-Pixled-Sports-Media.jpg

Geelong Falcon Ted Clohesy will make his VFL debut this weekend. (Sports Media/Marcel Berens)
AFL draft hopeful Ted Clohesy will get the chance to test his abilities at VFL level after being named in Geelong’s team for Saturday’s clash with Box Hill.
The Geelong Falcons midfielder, who made his GFL senior debut for St Joseph’s last week, is one of four inclusions for the Cats.
AFL-listed big man Shannon Neale is back after missing the win over Sandringham after suffering a concussion the previous week, while VFL duo Angus Byrne and Tom Feely have also been named.
The Clohesy name is no stranger to VFA/VFL action. Ted’s dad Paul played five years with Port Melbourne in the early 1990s.
After making his debut last week, father-son prospect and fellow Falcon Osca Riccardi is an emergency.
Twitter: @krockfootball
VFL ROUND 21

BOX HILL HAWKS (6th) vs. GEELONG (14th)
Box Hill City Oval
Saturday, August 13 2:05pm

GEELONG VFL
B:47. Matt Ling, 50. Dan Capiron, 74. Ben Lloyd
HB:41. Zane Williams, 17. Esava Ratugolea, 21. Nick Stevens
C:68. Tom Feely, 10. Mitch Knevitt, 37. Sam Simpson
HF:4. Shaun Higgins, 33. Shannon Neale, 52. Jackson McLachlan
F:36. Paul Tsapatolis, 48. Lachie Bond, 57. Jye Chalcraft
R:6. Toby Conway, 19. Quinton Narkle, 31. Francis Evans
I/C:54. Ollie Tate, 20. James Willis, 78. Tanner Lovell, 67. Ted Clohesy, 81. Angus Byrne
EMG:65. Jak Evans, 53. Charlie Sprague, 92. Dan Weigl, 49. Ryan Abbott, 72. Tylar Watts, 79, Osca Riccarcdi
INS:Shannone Neale, Tom Feely, Angus Byrne, Ted Clohesy
OUTS:Jonathon Ceglar (concussion), Ollie Dempsey, Osca Riccardi, Zach Zdybel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back