VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zane Williams top disposals and 20 something last week. Big difference since his move to defence. Aside from disposals, is Zane showing potential, enough to get an extension to 2023?
Good place to get disposals is in Cats defence! I watched last weeks intensely and thought he was poor but then saw the stats and wondered whether I was wrong. But on replay he got a lot of short back and forth possessions, and didn’t use the ball well at all. He tries to do the flashing disposal.

Having said that I think he has something (speed and confidence) and I assume they would want to give him another rookie year to test it out? Which i would be ok with

Zane Williams top disposals and 20 something last week. Big difference since his move to defence. Aside from disposals, is Zane showing potential, enough to get an extension to 2023?
Is he counted on the main roster or as a rookie?

If main we could move him to the rookie list as we need to upgrade Atkins and Close.

I haven't seen enough to know if he warrants another year or not though just throwing ideas out.

If main we could move him to the rookie list as we need to upgrade Atkins and Close.

I haven't seen enough to know if he warrants another year or not though just throwing ideas out.
MYD are rookie spots… I think for rookies it is more whether they have seen enough not to extend…which I would think he hasn’t done that badly - so my expectation is he gets rookied again next year. Although list spots are tight

Good place to get disposals is in Cats defence! I watched last weeks intensely and thought he was poor but then saw the stats and wondered whether I was wrong. But on replay he got a lot of short back and forth possessions, and didn’t use the ball well at all. He tries to do the flashing disposal.

Having said that I think he has something (speed and confidence) and I assume they would want to give him another rookie year to test it out? Which i would be ok with
Hard for Zane to come in at mid year, even VFL level so good if he shows something.

If he has speed and is now getting good numbers and is involved then they can sort out the flashiness and poor disposal over a preseason.

Last edited:
Surely he was recruited with the expectation he’d be an 18 month player at minimum.

I don't like the idea we'd delist after 6 months. Surely a one year

We obviously didn't recruit Williams to have an immediate impact. If we'd wanted someone at the mid-season draft who could come into the seniors in an emergency this year, there were other players still available we could have recruited. It makes no sense to draft a development player and then give him the flick after 6 months. With Higgins and Narkle almost certain to depart this year he may get a chance, and he does look a bit better coming off half back.

We obviously didn't recruit Williams to have an immediate impact. If we'd wanted someone at the mid-season draft who could come into the seniors in an emergency this year, there were other players still available we could have recruited. It makes no sense to draft a development player and then give him the flick after 6 months. With Higgins and Narkle almost certain to depart this year he may get a chance, and he does look a bit better coming off half back.
Yeah, you don't recruit a kid that light framed and give them a matter of weeks

Hes on the rookie list. As such id probably give him another year-if main list i wouldnt have as spots too tight.

Surely he was recruited with the expectation he’d be an 18 month player at minimum.

He is but our list spots are tight. They may need his rookie spot to shift say evans or stevens to depending on how many retirements and tradws etc. That said id keep him.

I hate that we picked him, just not what we needed but the thing is it would be unfair to delist him after 6mths, so club will give him 1 more year i think

I think that is right. Unusual not to give a pre season to prove or disprove whatever they saw to recruit him.

Issue for next year is tight list space if they want to trade in or draft more than a handful, but I suspect they look elsewhere in the list for spots other than Zane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty decent summary.

I was surprised that there was 8-9 AFL listed players on average but that is probably right. Of course it is important to understand that 80-90% of those AFL listed players were 1st and 2nd years complemented half the time by Frank/Stephens/Sav and Higgins/Dal. Very rarely did the VFL team have any “top 26” AFL players in the team (And any time they did they were on limited minutes). Most other affliliated teams would have a handful of more seasoned AFL listed players each week who genuinely were are chance to be AFL best 22.

Given our injuries and AFL age profile (very old or very young) the VFL team really suffered this year in terms of inconsistent AFL experience.

This was on top of a (strange) decision to go young in terms of the VFL list too.

Anyway you would hope that 2023 will see less AFL injuries/managed (although I suspect this will still be higher than average AFL team) and a handful of new mature VFL listed players.

So
I would have taken no one and left the pick until this years draft
agree. Or I would have gone for a depth KPD.

if we were going for a small I would have hoped we could take a punt on a 22-24yo midfielder somewhere outside the afl system even if just for age profile.

anyway they are probably better placed than me and they got him so I suspect they should now back themselves in terms of what they saw (unless his attitude or training isnt right). Turning him into a small back has been interesting development

I would have taken no one and left the pick until this years draft

Also a possibility. But with our last draft pick in this year's draft we'd likely select a pretty raw project player anyway, and Williams has the benefit of half a season's head start in the VFL.

Very unlikely to delist him if they are satisfied with his attitude and effort.

True and i think thats why he will survive but if we get the trade ins i think we will list spots will be very tight.

So

agree. Or I would have gone for a depth KPD.

if we were going for a small I would have hoped we could take a punt on a 22-24yo midfielder somewhere outside the afl system even if just for age profile.

anyway they are probably better placed than me and they got him so I suspect they should now back themselves in terms of what they saw (unless his attitude or training isnt right). Turning him into a small back has been interesting development

For a small l would have taken the older Chalcraft instead, Melbourne and bombers are showing interest in him so would be disappointing to loose him to 1 off them

Cegs will play AFL I reckon. Other than that it would be nice to see a good finish to the year. And then get the young players back to work for 2023!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back