VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only saw a bit of him before he went down injured but I agree he was showing better form at the time than many of the other youngsters. My point about training to be a small defender was really out of necessity as well as finding a position that he can have to himself (so to speak). I reckon he has the attributes to make a decent small defender too.

Yeah i do agree small defender is a necessity for us as is tall defender.
Our vfl team should have conway and ceglar rucking, neale will be the CHF plus dempsey on a flank (and henry if hes not playing 1s).
Assuming bruhn and bowes either play vfl or push 2 other guys out of the 1s we will have those guys plus menegola (if he isnt playing 1s) simpson knevitt willis and kroeger and whyte as mids.
But the defence has no talls except sav and no small backs (our defence was almost entirely vfl list and hopefully some of those guys like ling stay) so im not averse to trying whyte there.

McKenna as a running defender is an obvious potential replacement for Bews and (to a lesser extent) O'Connor.
He is an inch shorter than Bews, but he's a good kick, better overhead than either of them, and much, much faster (Wojcinski-fast).

Short term yes but mckenna is 26.
I think year of the cat was talking about a long term bews replacement (ie under 25) which its true we dont really have on the current list.

Yeah i do agree small defender is a necessity for us as is tall defender.
Our vfl team should have conway and ceglar rucking, neale will be the CHF plus dempsey on a flank (and henry if hes not playing 1s).
Assuming bruhn and bowes either play vfl or push 2 other guys out of the 1s we will have those guys plus menegola (if he isnt playing 1s) simpson knevitt willis and kroeger and whyte as mids.
But the defence has no talls except sav and no small backs (our defence was almost entirely vfl list and hopefully some of those guys like ling stay) so im not averse to trying whyte there.
Short term yes but mckenna is 26.
I think year of the cat was talking about a long term bews replacement (ie under 25) which its true we dont really have on the current list.

Yes, was thinking for down the track. Bews still has a few years to go but if he went down we are really devoid of any reasonable replacement in that position too. Whyte, to me, looks the most likely on our list to possibly fill that gap at some stage.

Reckon he they should consider training him to play as a small defender. With so many mids in our squad he might have better long term prospects playing down back. Aside from Bews we are very thin with this type of player.
I agree that one of our young mids could play as a small defender. It is unlikely that all of them will make it in our crowded AFL midfield.
Atkins can of course play there if needed.

Yes, was thinking for down the track. Bews still has a few years to go but if he went down we are really devoid of any reasonable replacement in that position too. Whyte, to me, looks the most likely on our list to possibly fill that gap at some stage.
I hadn’t thought of Whyte down back but could work? Although I actually think he could surprise us as how good a clearance player he might end up being. So I would be keen to see him stay in midfield to find out.

But on the same thematic maybe ‘Bruce’ Willis might actually be able to develop into that speedy half back flank? He has the kind of explosive moves (In the one game he showed it!!) and some confidence to break lines (bews like) so I can actually see him playing that role actually…

I would persist with Dempsey on the wing to see whether his great form in last few games can be consolidated. If he can develop into an A grade wingman (he was taking marks in back pocket and forward line!) then he could be ready made Smith back up

I hadn’t thought of Whyte down back but could work? Although I actually think he could surprise us as how good a clearance player he might end up being. So I would be keen to see him stay in midfield to find out.

But on the same thematic maybe ‘Bruce’ Willis might actually be able to develop into that speedy half back flank? He has the kind of explosive moves (In the one game he showed it!!) and some confidence to break lines (bews like) so I can actually see him playing that role actually…

I would persist with Dempsey on the wing to see whether his great form in last few games can be consolidated. If he can develop into an A grade wingman (he was taking marks in back pocket and forward line!) then he could be ready made Smith back up

Dempsey wing is interesting as holmes is doing so well in that role and we still have menegola tuohy smith and duncan for wings (all are close to retirement admittedly). Might depend on what position we put henry in as him and dempsey both play med fwd.

Vfl team could look roughly like this: (assuming bruhn and bowes go to the 1s and selwood ret and moc drop back)
B: whyte sav ling (c)
Hb: moc willis
C: menegola knevitt dempsey
HF: simpson Neale kroeger
F: Henry
R: Conway P7 clohesy
Int: ceglar
Obviously pick 7 plus our late/rookie picks to slot in there plus the vfl guys.
Needs a couple of vfl guys in the backline and another kpd in particular.
But the midfield and forward line has some good options just need to fill out the flanks.
Over 30s probably get rested rather than play vfl again so we need to recruit some stronger vfl listed guys than what we had this year.

Last edited:
Hiya all,

This afternoon I've kicked off discussion for the 2023 season; thanks all for your contributions to the 2022 discussion and let's see what 2023 brings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back