VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had ice on his calf.
Didn't look too serious, spent a good amount of time off the ground in the second quarter but came back on in the last few minutes.
Seemed to be moving OK, actually took a mark right on the siren.
Warmed up with the team after half time and then left the huddle to get some advice.
Didn't come back on and had ice on the lower right calf.

Hopefully not serious. I still think he is 2-3 years off having an afl body but i really rate him once he develops...has a huge ceiling.

Conway has only played one VFL game but I think he has a far greater chance of making it than Neale.

They are different players in really different roles and we need both.

I like arj but the opposition today was basically equivalent to a GFL side in quality. I rate conway but i wouldnt be going overboard based on that one game alone.

After earning an AFL debut in late April as a small forward, rookie Ollie Dempsey returned to the VFL team as a midfielder.

And he did it well, collecting 28 disposals and kicking two goals.

“We just needed a bit more leg speed, and Ollie provides that,” O’Bree said.

“So, he got a bit more midfield time, which resulted in more possessions, and when he went forward, he was dangerous and kicked a couple of goals.

“It’s more just a development phase for Ollie now.

“He played as a high-forward and got an AFL game. He’s come back to the VFL, and ‘what else can we work on?’, and it’s midfield craft at the moment.”

After earning an AFL debut in late April as a small forward, rookie Ollie Dempsey returned to the VFL team as a midfielder.

“So, he got a bit more midfield time, which resulted in more possessions, and when he went forward, he was dangerous and kicked a couple of goals.

“He played as a high-forward and got an AFL game. He’s come back to the VFL, and ‘what else can we work on?’, and it’s midfield craft at the moment.”
Feel he gets another couple of games at some point.

If they have tried to get neale to sign on and he has refused, i would ensure he does not get any game time at all since WCE will have no1 pick in all the drafts to screw us for nothing if he shows good form.

No point developing another clubs future player.

Would rather play dempsey or Stevens if that is the case

I claim him as one I ear marked when he was drafted, he seemed to have a little bit of unusual about him in his clips, but boy is this kid delivering for a rookie first year kid!....now 28 and 2 from midfield, wow!...I really like what I'm hearing about Ollie.
Something special here I think.

If they have tried to get neale to sign on and he has refused, i would ensure he does not get any game time at all since WCE will have no1 pick in all the drafts to screw us for nothing if he shows good form.

No point developing another clubs future player.

Would rather play dempsey or Stevens if that is the case
Even if there's a chance he's leaving you play him.

He's a freak. Love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he plays midfield in the seniors he'll just get pushed out the way. Patience, he needs to build size
Agree - dont think he is a midfield for afl team. Having said that he gets pushed off it in vfl. I watched the replay and he really doesn’t go in at all. (Maybe soft - but more likely smart given there wouldn’t be much point). Indeed Mitch as the same issue except his junior game was built around the contest (you can see him bump in vfl but the player doesnt get moved out the way!). Ollie needs another 10kg which will take a couple of years before we really know what he is. Up until then I suppose we hope he gets a few more AFL games for development and have fun watching those overhead spin handballs (another one yesterday on those vfl highlights) and take the good with the bad

Agree - dont think he is a midfield for afl team. Having said that he gets pushed off it in vfl. I watched the replay and he really doesn’t go in at all. (Maybe soft - but more likely smart given there wouldn’t be much point). Indeed Mitch as the same issue except his junior game was built around the contest (you can see him bump in vfl but the player doesnt get moved out the way!). Ollie needs another 10kg which will take a couple of years before we really know what he is. Up until then I suppose we hope he gets a few more AFL games for development and have fun watching those overhead spin handballs (another one yesterday on those vfl highlights) and take the good with the bad

Yeah I remember I think the week before Knevitt debuted I saw him go the bump on the wing. Old mate didn't budge, Knevitt just bounced off and got the deck.

Great that he has a crack because at some point that'll go the other way

We are one tall short down back, if SDK goes down we are really caught short. I’d even play Cameron on the wing and Neale forward.
He deserves to be rewarded and played now.
Henry

That's it just enjoy the ride he will take a few years before he is the finished product, I just enjoy watching this kid because he just puts a smile on your face....players like that are priceless

Far too soon to be saying who's he better prospect . Conway or Neale - as they're both essential for our future. Neale should get a game now. Certainly they should be working on his contract, specially given that Hawkins is 34.

Dempsey deserves another game when circumstances permit - he is a rare talent.

I think he'll end up as a midfielder.

Could be a player in the mould of Nat Fyfe. Tallish midfielder who's extremely strong overhead.
Long way to go, but it's who he should be moulding his game on.

I like arj but the opposition today was basically equivalent to a GFL side in quality. I rate conway but i wouldnt be going overboard based on that one game alone.

That's true - not the greatest opposition but the photo says it all - he has genuine ruck craft , a fantastic leap , and taps at the apex with his arm fully extended. That was also noticeable in the practice games V Stanley.
At his height that's a terrific asset , plus he's only a kid - going to be a serious unit in another season or two :thumbsu:

That's true - not the greatest opposition but the photo says it all - he has genuine ruck craft , a fantastic leap , and taps at the apex with his arm fully extended. That was also noticeable in the practice games V Stanley.
At his height that's a terrific asset , plus he's only a kid - going to be a serious unit in another season or two :thumbsu:
Jeez he must have some leap to tap it at the apex 😅

I think he'll end up as a midfielder.

Could be a player in the mould of Nat Fyfe. Tallish midfielder who's extremely strong overhead.
Long way to go, but it's who he should be moulding his game on.
Fyfe without the injuries is a pretty good ambition for sure! I think he has said Isaac Heany is who he would like to mould his game on - I would take either! Club says he is still growing so might end up 188 or so which is nice height to add to 80kg or so? Interesting that he didn’t play midfield in schoolboys although I think his version of high half forward was (based on highlight package) to go wherever the ball was!

he certainly has a long way to go and may never be an inside contest player but obviously has some attributes the club are excited (and surprised?) about, which is why they are giving him development opportunities. From what I have heard (2nd hand) his gps stuff is off the charts. Mechanical measure
(some fancy formula of run and agility) is coming out in top few at Cats all time and way ahead of anyone else on the list (Close is next best). I think club are trying to work out what they do with that….given his footy skills are undeveloped and his body shape.

hard to be patient and to not put too much expectation in but always nice to have some hope coming through (along with some others)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back