VFL Geelong VFL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knevitt looks like being a wasted decent pick the way he is tracking atm.
He may. Like all draftees but.....

He has already shown he has good pace, when placed near the action he gets involved and best of all he us very good in the air.
You dont lose the skill...its confidence lost while learning how to play a new role that is hiding his strengths. He will take some time to develop. As his chicken legs grow in the gym he should move closer to an inside role or marking forward and he will have a bigger and more sustained impact. I hope he gets the time.

He has already shown he has good pace, when placed near the action he gets involved and best of all he us very good in the air.
You dont lose the skill...its confidence lost while learning how to play a new role that is hiding his strengths. He will take some time to develop. As his chicken legs grow in the gym he should move closer to an inside role or marking forward and he will have a bigger and more sustained impact. I hope he gets the time.
I'll concede that he looks good in the air for a mid.
But I'm just not seeing any other traits that are above average.
For me, he actually looks slow and timid... Doesn't seem to have a killer instinct to want the pill (like a much much smaller Dempsey has).
Kicking skills absolutely average/below average.
I'm certainly not putting a line through him... but I'm just not loving the way he has progressed.

A1 post

One has to understand that ina normal group of kids... one is drafting green kids that most will take time to adapt to a pro enviorment. Then the kids covid period affected will be even more so. He will be given three to four years development and acclimatisation.

Could it be a failed pick? They all can. A pick in the 20's is a long way from the cream... and plenty of cream curdles.

It's always a gamble to recruit based on one skill set/position and try them in another role - might work/give them some extra tricks before they settle into their preferred role or shatter their confidence altogether (Smedts)
We should be acutely aware of this as Menegola was tried by others as a forward flanker for years until a year in the WAFL as a mid/winger.
So glad we persevered with SDK as a KPD ........
Maybe Knevitt will play as an inside mid more in the VFL and excel at that , he looked lost in the games I've seen as a winger so I hope he either turns that around or we place him where he is best suited.

It's always a gamble to recruit based on one skill set/position and try them in another role - might work/give them some extra tricks before they settle into their preferred role or shatter their confidence altogether (Smedts)
We should be acutely aware of this as Menegola was tried by others as a forward flanker for years until a year in the WAFL as a mid/winger.
So glad we persevered with SDK as a KPD ........
Maybe Knevitt will play as an inside mid more in the VFL and excel at that , he looked lost in the games I've seen as a winger so I hope he either turns that around or we place him where he is best suited.
I agree. Somehow he needs to get time in the middle? There must be a reason he isn’t given he has basically been on the wing at VFL level most of the year (with few exceptions?).

Difficult thing is that with more AFL listed players back (good thing) they had them going through the middle a lot yesterday (Cooper, Higgins, Frank) as well as chalcraft (which is fair) and Dal when he plays, maybe just not enough rotations? They also giving Ollie some time through there - yesterday he would have played half of second and third qtrs through the middle (and got 18 possessions in those 2 qtrs!), so you would think they will keep trying that for rest of the year to see what we have (was frustrating to see him stay deep out of goal sq for entire last qtr and having no influence as goals kicked by Tigers!). But hoping somehow they can use Mitch more in the position he was drafted for. Might get harder again if the other draftees ever come back?

Its a different sport at U18 level, it is silly to think that some part time development's coach can earmark a player for their career.

A player goes through many filters between being considered draft-able and making an impact at AFL level. Might only be the smallest of attribute they saw and want to nurture. Might just be that he is a stick and that we already have two sticks ahead of him right now.

I got a very sharp clip around the ear from Calder Daddy for questioning Knevitt; but quite a few others have done so here too and escaped censure.

I think it needs to be said that our disappointment /frustration when the new players seem to under-perform is actually the measure of our keen desire to seem them succeed. We're all desperate to see another great Geelong team emerge; thus we closely follow the draft, pick out the players we'd like to see come to the club and so on it goes....

Curiously Knevitt's best game by far was when he came on as sub - from memory he got 15 disposals, took 2 or 3 marks, teamed well with others etc.

He seemed to be on the wing a lot last Sunday and he looks a bit lost there just now. Anyway let us hope that Mackie et al will be proved right in the end.

I got a very sharp clip around the ear from Calder Daddy for questioning Knevitt; but quite a few others have done so here too and escaped censure.

I think it needs to be said that our disappointment /frustration when the new players seem to under-perform is actually the measure of our keen desire to seem them succeed. We're all desperate to see another great Geelong team emerge; thus we closely follow the draft, pick out the players we'd like to see come to the club and so on it goes....

Curiously Knevitt's best game by far was when he came on as sub - from memory he got 15 disposals, took 2 or 3 marks, teamed well with others etc.

He seemed to be on the wing a lot last Sunday and he looks a bit lost there just now. Anyway let us hope that Mackie et al will be proved right in the end.
He has had a few poor games but a few good ones.
That happens with mids, especially ones who were bigger than most throughout there junior career and now playing against adults

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this week VFL team will be weaker? The two AFL outs will not play athough replaced by two who didn’t play VFL last week (so neutral). But with games on at same time (at least) 2 of the emergencies won’t play this week for VFL (sub and one hold back). Will be more if any late changes.

So at minimum I think VFL loses Stephens (my bet for sub) and Higgins (hold back) and possibility Neale is late change? So 2/3 missing from last week.

Dal I suppose will come back in to VFL if recovered

Knevitt showed enough at AFL level for me to not be worried about him. He is a development player they are trying to get ready in two years. In saying that, the really good ones show it pretty quickly and I think already you would say Dempsey is a better prospect, despite the difference in draft position.

Knevitt showed enough at AFL level for me to not be worried about him. He is a development player they are trying to get ready in two years. In saying that, the really good ones show it pretty quickly and I think already you would say Dempsey is a better prospect, despite the difference in draft position.
That's where I'm at too. I like what Knevitt could be, but is so raw I'll start forming more of an opinion in 12 months. Dempsey looks a serious prospect.

Last edited:
No Ceglar Simpson Willis Kroeger Whyte and Conway rested no Dahlhaus only N Stevens back
Dal still sick? Shame about Toby (lists him as injured?). Team a bit weaker this week for sure especially given they will take out 2 players for AFL (one sub and one “holdover”). I think sub might actually be Narkle and hold over either Stephens or Higgins (be shame for Stephens not to play one or the other though so I suspect they will hold over Higgins).

Still maybe a sneaky chance that Neale late change for Hawke? Hope not for VFL team - but be good for Neale!

Dal still sick? Shame about Toby (lists him as injured?). Team a bit weaker this week for sure especially given they will take out 2 players for AFL (one sub and one “holdover”). I think sub might actually be Narkle and hold over either Stephens or Higgins (be shame for Stephens not to play one or the other though so I suspect they will hold over Higgins).

Still maybe a sneaky chance that Neale late change for Hawke? Hope not for VFL team - but be good for Neale!

It might be covid, and if he hasn't trained all week then they may have deemed it a risk to play him

Waddell managed when abbott and conway are out is injured leaves us a bit short. Interesting game.
Was thinking the same. But two emergencies (maybe three if late change in afl) will come back in so maybe the two “managed” will come back in (which is why they are labeled differently than omitted?).

Was thinking the same. But two emergencies (maybe three if late change in afl) will come back in so maybe the two “managed” will come back in (which is why they are labeled differently than omitted?).
Potentially otherwise we look a bit undersized to me given our lack of kpds and rucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back