Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Mar 3, 2002
Whincup's Garage
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg, MUFC, Triple 8
Will be a cracker jack game and I am looking forward to it, Geelong are in fantastic form and Adelaide will have a bit of confidence after a good win last w/e, I still think Geelong will be too good on the day. Thoughts on the key matchups?????

Maccas, i think a Geelong win is far from a foregone conclusion, even taking our form into consideration.

Last week's game was a particularly hard contest on the body, and a lot of the players will have pulled up rather sore. Ben Graham made mention on the Sunday Footy Show that a lot of the boys ended up with horribly bloodshot eyes from all the mud.

I must admit, i am terribly worried about this game. Geelong have failed to win an interstate game this season, and our record in Adelaide is far from impeccable. Still, the boys realise the importance of the clash and also how vital it is to win games out of Melbourne. I know the rather regimented Thompson and his masterminds have been studying and tweaking the process we use when travelling, in hope that they can finally win a bloody game out of Victoria.

The odds, i would have thought, are rather even. James Bartel is appealing his decision, but should at least miss this week's game, while Brent Moloney and James Kelly, who are an integral part of our structure, are also out through injury.

Then, one has to factor in human nature. We are not invincible (even though i'd love to think we are) and we're bound to slip up eventually. And i can tell you now, i'd rather slip up against the Crows than the first week of the finals. But even so, i'd love to win this week's game to prove we can win out of our comfort zone (Victoria).

Should be good.

Cats by 13 points ;)

Fairly big mental abrrier for us to break this week, given we havent won an interstate game this season, falling just short on all occassions. Adelaide are probably the weakest Interstate side, and I would think they would struggle to kick a winnig score against Harley, Scarlett and co., despite having some talented young forwards.

Geelong for mine, although I dont know a heck of a lot about the Adelaide backs, could have too many options down forward with Chapman, Johnson, Ablett and possibly McCarthy a chance to retain his spot and would be dangerous as a 3rd tall.

I'd expect Bartel to miss this game, and i'd bring in Wocjinksi for him, probably the only change id make.

Cats by 20 points.

Boys will be pumped for this (if you heard Ling after the West Coast game youd know what im talking about) which leaves us in a dangerous position against Hawthorn the week after.
Anyhow, our backline should contain your forward line & our small forwards will give you plenty of trouble however the midfield is the most important part in this match. With Kelly, Moloney & Bartel missing it will be hard to stop Goodwin, the norm smith medalist & the brownlow medalist & steglein. Also interesting to see how players like Koula go in a game where we probably wont dominate the midfield like previous matches (St.Kilda excluded).

Sammy D said:
With Kelly, Moloney & Bartel missing it will be hard to stop Goodwin, the norm smith medalist & the brownlow medalist & steglein. Also interesting to see how players like Koula go in a game where we probably wont dominate the midfield like previous matches (St.Kilda excluded).

Fair point Sammy. With Bartel likely to miss this game even with the appeal, this would be one of our biggest tests on our midfield depth to date. Ling and Corey will need to step their games up even higher if they are to lead the more inexperienced midfielders against the Crows midfield. Hopefully Koula proves his worth and takes over Bartel's spot with his clearance-type game, lessening the impact of JB's absence.

Sammy D said:
With Kelly, Moloney & Bartel missing it will be hard to stop Goodwin, the norm smith medalist & the brownlow medalist & steglein. Also interesting to see how players like Koula go in a game where we probably wont dominate the midfield like previous matches (St.Kilda excluded).
Actually you haven't mentioned our most dominant midfielder of the past month - Edwards. Keep him & Roo quiet & you guys should win. Goody still lacks match fitness & Macca isn't exactly in magical form. Would like to see Reilly thrown into the midfield as he is as exciting as Kelly & Bartel.

Will be interesting to see how your defence lines up. Harley v Perrie, Scarlett v Hentschel (watch this kid as will be the Crows next big thing), Milburn v Welsh.

Should be a curious match. While undoubtedly both teams will be striving for victory, the reality is that both teams wouldn't be that badly off in losing. IN wainning matches, Adelaide gets penalised in the draft order, and Geelong may be better off coming fourth than fifth in the finals wrap-up. Combine these facts with an Adelaide team who have been told their careers are on the line, so expect a lot of individual effort instead of team effort and a Geelong team, with a lot of second tier players becuase of injury, who are also looking to stay in the side come finals

we named an unchanged lineup, but now that bartel is definately out, who will come in??

will it be wojcinski who was named as an emergency?, or is he still injured and that is why he wasnt included in the first place?

Ricketts said:
we named an unchanged lineup, but now that bartel is definately out, who will come in??

will it be wojcinski who was named as an emergency?, or is he still injured and that is why he wasnt included in the first place?
Wojcinski, if fit, will be the replacement. If he wasn't fit, he wouldn't have been named as an emergency. The club had to name Bartel in the team, as they could hardly go to the tribunal saying he was innocent, and why put another player through the disappointment of being 'dropped'?

Here's the official squad named, as part of the teams article on the AFL's site...

ADELAIDE v GEELONG
Saturday, 2:10pm, AAMI Stadium

ADELAIDE
B:
Bassett, Rutten, Shirley
HB: Doughty, Bock, Reilly
C: Goodwin, Ricciuto, Burton
HF: Hentschel, Perrie, Johncock
F: Stevens, Welsh, Edwards
FOLL: Clarke, Stenglein, McLeod
I/C: Jericho, Biglands, Mattner, Ladhams
EMG: Watts, Hudson, Begley
IN: Ladhams
OUT: Hudson

GEELONG
B:
Corey, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Hunt, Harley, Sanderson
C: Wojcinski, Ling, Sanderson
HF: Kingsley, Mooney, D.Johnson
F: S.Johnson, Graham, Gardiner
FOLL: King, Chapman, Ablett
I/C: McCarthy, Koulouriotis, Callan, Tenace
EMG: Byrnes, Playfair, Haynes
No Change

you_idiot said:
GEELONG
B:
Corey, Scarlett, Milburn
HB: Hunt, Harley, Sanderson
C: Wojcinski, Ling, Sanderson
HF: Kingsley, Mooney, D.Johnson
F: S.Johnson, Graham, Gardiner
FOLL: King, Chapman, Ablett
I/C: McCarthy, Koulouriotis, Callan, Tenace
EMG: Byrnes, Playfair, Haynes
No Change

Well done AFL website.Only 2 mistakes this week.
The Sanderson on the wing is Riccardi and there is one change [Jimmy out,Monica in ].

I really was shattered when we lost Kelly but in a team where everyone contributes 110% we shouldnt be flustered in losing Bartel, yes he is great but Monica has had a fantastic season and will do a great job replacing him in the side.

Bomber will no doubt throw Ablett in the middle for a period of time who perhaps hasnt the fitness to play bartels role but his SUPERB reading of the play, quick hands, excellent tackling and good vision and the ability to set up plays from hard positions will be pivitol in the game. When he will be tired put him at forward pocket and give him a rest.

Dont forget two great emerging midfielders in Ling and Corey who both have a great amount of experience and will no doubt lift players like Koula and Callan.

This game will be tough, Adelaide have a new coach, and renewed enthusiasm yet we have too much to play for also doubled up with what Dermie said you gotta play it like a premiership because most likely we will have to go interstate in the first week of finals.

On a side note when is Boomer coming back into the team? And I would prefer to see Bartel wearing the pre-match wear instead of a suit and sitting in the coaches box during these last two games. We cant afford to make him feel left out because he will be coming into a very important game and we need his head on the game.

Sorry if I rambled on too much ;)

Oh yea.. And cats by 20. Too strong in defence, we have the stocks to cover our midfield. We have alot of forward options and King is the best ruckman of the afl. Believe it!

skywalk750 said:
And I would prefer to see Bartel wearing the pre-match wear instead of a suit and sitting in the coaches box during these last two games. We cant afford to make him feel left out because he will be coming into a very important game and we need his head on the game.
An even better idea to keep him 'involved', would be to get to don the half-cat suit. He'd be allowed on the ground and would be given free reign to go around and belt people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just hoping for a good game. Being a Crows supporter, I have seen some pretty ordinary games this season. The Crows form this season has been so up and down , not just from game to game but from quarter to quarter. I think Geelong will win because they are more consistent and will prevent the Crows from kicking a winning score.

Ps. Saturday arvo games at Footy park and sitting on the eastern wing sucks (sun is in your eyes most of the game).

I think the absence of Bartel will be covered by a rotation of Callan, Wojcinski, Ablett and Chapman. All of them have different skills and, while none of them can cover that midfield possie as well as Bartel, it'll be hard for Adelaide to adjust. Importantly, all those players are more than willing to throw the body in.

Adelaide are going to have a hard time scoring against Geelong's brilliant defence so I don't see them kicking a winning score. Geelong's attack, on the other hand, is starting to look dangerous. Graham's having his best season to date, Steve Johnson is peaking just at the right time and surely Kant Kicksley will lift. Not to mention Chappy and Ablett lurking at the foot of the pack. Added to the mix is Matthew McCarthy, who could do anything, but I suspect he'll be there to draw a defender and make space for the opportunists.

Geelong by 33 points.

Adelaide have made only the one change with Hudo being dropped and Ladhams coming in, I was hoping Parker would get a run but not this week it seems. Should be a tight game all day and I do hope the Crows can pull off another win, but my 'smart' money will be on the Cats. Hopefully our backline can stretch the Geelong forwardline. Should be a great game ;)

Geelong by 9pts.

Can anyone tell me what channel k rock is on radio? Not interested in Carlton v Melb. I don't have foxtel and this seems to be the only radio broadcast. Also is reception ok in Melb?

saintsrule said:
Can anyone tell me what channel k rock is on radio? Not interested in Carlton v Melb. I don't have foxtel and this seems to be the only radio broadcast. Also is reception ok in Melb?

95.5 FM
Good reception depends on which side of Melbourne you live.I think you can get K-ROCK's call on the GFC site.

Thanks Jub Jub Ican get 95.5 on my radio clearly, but it's something called Golden Days radio, Melbourne's only station for the over 50s which is not quite what I'm looking for. I'll play around with it and see what happens.

Didnt expect Adelaide to come away with the 4pts today but we did play well and shutdown alot of Geelong key players, Geelong are a great side and will do well in the Finals, Good Luck :)

From a Diehard Crow - We enjoyed the win - but well played Geelong - and congrats to the Cat fans who made it to AAMI...barracked hard and had a beer after the game - just like it should be - not like some of the other ferels we have to put up with.........Good luck for the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back