Preview Geelong vs Bulldogs, Friday 18 June GMHBA @ 7:50pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the 29th of May we played against Collingwood at an empty MCG, and while we came away with the win it wasn't the most convincing of wins leading into the bye and one that may have had a few questioning our form heading into an important series of matches

The bye weekend was a quieter affair than normal with no real opportunities to get away and take a break from Geelong - did this impact on what we saw next

Like we've become accustomed to, our first match after the bye was scheduled against a formidable opponent in Port Adelaide and on their home turf... We were leading by 10 points at 3/4 time but just 5 minutes into the last quarter and it was all Port Adelaide with them not only scoring 2.1 to nothing but Geelong also only registering a single disposal. Less than 2 minutes later Rozee kicked his 5th goal for the night, Port had opened up a 9 point lead and the "curse of the bye" looked like it would live on for another year... Just a matter of minutes later and in the space of 46 seconds a 9 point deficit became a 9 point lead and a lead that we wouldn't give up over the remaining 25 minutes

Was it the perfect game - not really, but it was a match that showed the character of the team and it's a win that can build momentum for the rest of the season

That brings us to this week, a match at home where it's 3 vs 2 and a win will bring us equal on premiership points with only percentage separating the two sides - though if we can keep the Bulldogs to under 60 points and win by roughly 70, we will put ourselves in a position to jump them on the ladder

As it currently stands, the game will be played at home but the t'll be behind closed doors without a crowd, but the AFL haven't given up on that changing later in the week - fingers crossed that we'll see that change, even if it's only 10k fans who can get into the game... And they could always use the SA health advice of not touching the ball on the odd time it's kicked into the crowd -must be talking about Bews and his OOF while ignoring the goals, and then they could always provide hand sanitizer to clean ones hands before they then eat their chips

Last week we saw the return of 4 players to the side and this week we may see another couple return to the fold with Guthrie & Miers slated to return over coming weeks, and making it a tough fight for spots in the 22 - so if they are to return this week, who will be those making way?

The other thing we know is that our guys generally have got the best out of themselves when they've lined up against other top level sides, when the games been open and it's allowed our 3 headed forwards monster to work into space - hopefully something we get to again see on Friday night and they can terrorise yet another defence

This match will present another challenge, but one we should be up for because if the "curse of the bye" has taught us anything it's that a week after the bye we've been an extremely tough team to beat

I still go back to that 2017 game at the cattery against the dogs. We were coming off 3 losses I think one was against the low dons and Suns maybe one of them. And we came out and had a tackle frenzy against the dogs and touched them up. Would love to see that again. Haven’t seen it since TBH. Seems other teams do it against us. Cmon cats get it done and top 2 is a possibility!

No crowd won’t help and we generally play a slow chip boring game without crowds.
Henry to astronaut given he has good athletic capabilities. Kolo to Bruce?
I’m expecting at least one coach to go to work on Tommy Stewart. Could be this week.
Narkle for Higgins? (Won’t happen)
Expect to win..

No crowds. Move the game interstate.
Good thing then that the club said no to that and requested that the match stay in Geelong even if there's no crowds

The club has put player welfare ahead of crowd attendance:
- Round 13 vs Port Adelaide, Thursday night at AO
- Round 14 vs Bulldogs, Friday night at KP
- Round 15 vs Brisbane, Thursday night at GABBA

The club doesn't want 3 interstate trips in a row, especially when the 3rd would be off a 6 day break - hence the clubs request to keep the match at home

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goes without saying that this is an extremely tough midfield battle.

O'Connor to Bont or O'Connor to Macrae? :think:
Put him on Libba, as long as we break even in the middle we should win this game, because our biggest asset ( key forwards) is where their weakness lies....

Out: Higgins
In: Guthrie

Danger can spend a bit more time forward as we ease him in with more time forward which we steal from Higgins.

I feel if we win this it'll be off the back of d50 intercepts so there will be two major groups that need to get rolling to generate it.

The first group being defensive mids. MOC will need to just be in the way of Libba all the time. Parfitt will need to roll up with all of the chasing and defensive pressure he added last week. Sav and Blitz need to be effective at laying on ground level pressure and will need to keep their feet after the tap above all else.

The second group is going to be the interceptors in Henry, Stewart, Henderson who are going to need that defensive pressure from the mods affecting the entries.

If those groups fire we can neutralise their strength and expose their weakness in the forward half.

Will need a fair bit of aid the ground running to provide a marking target from Sav/Blitz/Cameron because moving the ball at ground level through their midfield is going to be a challenge.

Was not confident about this match, probably still not overly, but I think we have the tools to do it.

Cats by 14

Dump oconnor and play narkle instead. Bont will murder oconnor given how well old man boak did last week.
I think dumping a defensive mid in favour of a mid who doesn't defend is a losing bet in this one. Narkle will win a fair few but overall we can't expect that we will win the clearances against that juggernaut of a midfield.

We need a dose of Richmond 2017 and just hunt the player at the stoppage so that they get poor entires that players like Bruce can't really do anything with. Then mop them up with Stewart and Henry look for Sav or Blitz with the outlet mark.

Was looking forward to going to this game, ah well...
Guthrie is an obvious in, I have absolutely no idea who goes out, Higgins? Dahl? Maybe Atkins at a stretch, although I reckon his ground ball ability will be needed against the Dogs.
Should be a cracker, Cats by 2 points.

Guthrie for Dahl for me but that probably wont happen..atkins out i imagine.

They will probably back in sav again although id drop him for stanley.

What i would do is.

Guthrie and Narkle in Dahl and Higgins/Gola out.

What will happen is Guthrie in and someone unlucky out.

They have decided Sav is the better option atm so they need to stay the course for another 3-4 weeks so he gets continuity to see what he can do.

Last thing we should be doing is chopping and changing rucks every week unless forced ala Blics being a late out.

If we take this game we'll go to the gabba feeling pretty good about ourselves
In Guthrie, Stanley
Out Kolo, Dahlhaus

Henry Blicavs Bews
Stewart Hendo Tuohy
Smith Selwood Menegola
Danger Cameron Duncan
Rohan Hawkins Close
Stanley Guthrie Parfitt
Higgins, Ratagolea, O'Connor, Atkins
Em Narkle (med sub), Miers (a week in vfl), Kolo, Dahlhaus

Miers in the following week for Atkins
Make sure Narkle plays a few before the pointy end
He is our point of difference and keeps Higgins, Menegola on their toes
Put Blicavs on English when he goes forward
Ratagolea and Stanley to cover Martin and English

What i would do is.

Guthrie and Narkle in Dahl and Higgins/Gola out.

What will happen is Guthrie in and someone unlucky out.

They have decided Sav is the better option atm so they need to stay the course for another 3-4 weeks so he gets continuity to see what he can do.

Last thing we should be doing is chopping and changing rucks every week unless forced ala Blics being a late out.
Sav has had continuity. He has already played 5 in a row. he ain’t improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back