Game Day Geelong vs Collingwood Practice Match @11AM

Remove this Banner Ad

I think these things should bother us and we should demand more accurate and nuanced reports.

This is my take on it as well. Personally I don’t think the club should individualise because they’re on a hiding to nothing. I think their reporting should be focused more on patterns of play, momentum swings, missed opportunities, areas of improvement and moments of magic. I’m all for individualised praise and criticism on here though. That’s the beauty of having games back there is no right or wrong on our side of the fence.

Here’s one that will prove divisive. Grundy’s game was not deserving of the praise he’s received. He wasn’t even our best ruckman on the day that was Cameron. Grundy looked his best when taking the ball directly from stoppages which is not conducive to our best football unless he’s feeding it out by hand, IMO. His connection with the mids was woeful. He wasn’t clean. He went to ground in a number of boundary throw ins and his ball use was average at best. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me because it’s his first hitout against real opposition, but we need him to step it up considerably before Rd 1.

For mine a fairly typical 1st practice match where intensity down a bit as both clubs had a few top end players out and a few others only playing parts of games while both teams had big squads. Collingwood 26 and Cat 31 going from the commentry.

This is the game for fringe or new players to stake 1st claims for starting the year in the seniors. It’s lower standard than what we will see in a week so a real chance for these guys.

For me there was only one player who took the opportunity and pretty much marked there name on the board for next week

Ollie Henry. Was impressive. Didn’t do a lot but what he did was very comfortable at the level. Looks to have great hands and will be very interested to see why he can do in a full intensity match next week

The Browns, Bianco, Ruscoe, Murphy and Sier didn’t do badly but none took the chance to really put their name up for next week.

Both Browns had a bit of it but it was really not a step up from 2020 yet. Tyler was the more impressive. Suspect at least one of them gets a game next week.

Murphy just didn’t do much and had more limited opportunities but you would think he is not there yet and won’t play next week.

Ruscoe wasn’t bad but mainly seems to be on the end of chains at this stage best 22 for mine. Won’t push out an established player yet.

Bianco got a bit and looked okay. Reckon he may get a lot of it at VFL and maybe pushes for selection that way.

Sier was solid enough with really putting a stamp on the game which he should be ready to do by now. Jury is out but I think he will get chances to make his case. Will play next week is my guess.

Of the more established players Noble looked good and its the game he should stand out in to make sure he keeps his spot.
Elliott looked good and Howe being back was the other stand out part of the day after Henry

The more senior players were on cruise control , just good to see them get through with no injuries.

Result means nothing as a few have said. Encouraging day based on Henry and Howe

This is my take on it as well. Personally I don’t think the club should individualise because they’re on a hiding to nothing. I think their reporting should be focused more on patterns of play, momentum swings, missed opportunities, areas of improvement and moments of magic. I’m all for individualised praise and criticism on here though. That’s the beauty of having games back there is no right or wrong on our side of the fence.

Here’s one that will prove divisive. Grundy’s game was not deserving of the praise he’s received. He wasn’t even our best ruckman on the day that was Cameron. Grundy looked his best when taking the ball directly from stoppages which is not conducive to our best football unless he’s feeding it out by hand, IMO. His connection with the mids was woeful. He wasn’t clean. He went to ground in a number of boundary throw ins and his ball use was average at best. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me because it’s his first hitout against real opposition, but we need him to step it up considerably before Rd 1.

I noted in this game and also in many of his games last year, the opposition ruckman seems to get away with a lot of using their hands on him from boundary thrown ins. He is a strong brute and hard to shift, but i feel as though as soon as an opponent loses focus on the ball and just concentrates on him, there probably should be a free kick paid. On the other side of the coin, he seems to give away free kicks far more easily. could be just my Magpies goggles but i feel as though he should get more of a fair crack.

We all see the game from different perspective, granted, but to print that Callum and Tyler were a dynamic duo throughout the game, is just plain rose coloured glasses perspective.

When they do the VFL bests sometimes they name players just to boost their confidence even if they were terrible, the players all read these reports so they need to be positive.

I think these things should bother us and we should demand more accurate and nuanced reports.
Start with News Corp.
If you are concerned about journalism get them to report real events accurately rather than simply cocncot outright fabrications to further Rupert's small man syndrome induced lust for power.

We all see the game from different perspective, granted, but to print that Callum and Tyler were a dynamic duo throughout the game, is just plain rose coloured glasses perspective.

I thought it was an accurate reflection on their work rate across the game.

Start with News Corp.
If you are concerned about journalism get them to report real events accurately rather than simply cocncot outright fabrications to further Rupert's small man syndrome induced lust for power.
Take your rants about news Corp elsewhere. None of that has anything to do with the CFC media team.

Without reading back through all the pages, any reports on how Murphy performed and position we played him in?

Seemed to play predominantly off a wing. Was an almost sort of an effort with a couple of promising involvements. I’d like them to persevere.

I noted in this game and also in many of his games last year, the opposition ruckman seems to get away with a lot of using their hands on him from boundary thrown ins. He is a strong brute and hard to shift, but i feel as though as soon as an opponent loses focus on the ball and just concentrates on him, there probably should be a free kick paid. On the other side of the coin, he seems to give away free kicks far more easily. could be just my Magpies goggles but i feel as though he should get more of a fair crack.

Magpies goggles. He received the most free kicks in the league in both 2019 and 2020 and was ranked 4th in 2018. If anything I think umpires need to be better at not picking out ruck infringements.

Start with News Corp.
They have no accountability thanks to legislation granting them a duopoly . . . How would you suggest we convince them to go against their own interests without and power to penalize failure to report the news responsibly????

Just watched the replay. I thought Bianco was meant to be a good kick... is there anything in Rantall's absence?

This man on the mark rule might work in our favour in the early rounds. Having the 45 opened up with our short kick and play on game might see us more effective going forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought it was an accurate reflection on their work rate across the game.
Accurate reflection, paaaleeeease, do you work for Murdoch, "Tyler and Callum Brown were a dynamic duo throughout the match", step aside Judd and Kerr , the Brown brothers have entered the stage :D

Magpies goggles. He received the most free kicks in the league in both 2019 and 2020 and was ranked 4th in 2018. If anything I think umpires need to be better at not picking out ruck infringements.

Maybe so. and yes he did receive the most free kicks but his free-kick differential is a long way off that of closest peer Max Gawn, for example .. i feel his strength dominance is often negated by scragging tactics

Take your rants about news Corp elsewhere. None of that has anything to do with the CFC media team.
mike is concerned about journalistic standards.
I am simply pointing out that the fish rots from the head.
If you have a problem with my views on the right wing dickhead that runs News corp take it up with someone who gives a crap.

If the subject is poor, inaccurate or inadequate journalism, Rupert and his pack of lying cronies will top the list until he is gone.

If you have a problem with my views on the right wing dickhead that runs News corp take it up with someone who gives a crap.

If the subject is poor, inaccurate or inadequate journalism, Rupert and his pack of lying cronies will top the list until he is gone.
My brother in law has been in the journalism caper for quarter of a century. According to him NOTHING goes through the editors that isn't blessed by Rupert the self righteous.

In around the ground ruck contests, Grundy takes prime position early, which means he gets infringed against the most. Thus he gets the most frees, but also has the most missed. In defensive 50, I think he takes his position too early resulting in him being pushed under the ball too often. When he's pushed under the ball, sometimes it's paid and sometimes it isn't.

Mike is concerned about the standards of the CFC media team. Anything regarding News Corp, Fairfax, or any other media organisation is irrelevant to what he was saying. I don’t give a crap what you say about any media publisher, just don’t try to take a comment about the CFC media team and use it as an opportunity to make an off topic rant. There are other threads for that.

Sidey can play anywhere and that's how they've used him recently. But I'm hoping he plays mainly mid, because I think he plays best there and because the role he's been playing is where I think we should be developing yound mids. I'd like to see whoever plays out of Rantall, Bianco, the Brown's, and the Maccas playing those high half forward roles with the odd stint on ball.

Agree. Sidebottom is a midfielder. I actually like him on the wing with some time also spent in the centre clearances. As a forward he is inconsistent/overrated/wasted.

I thought Tyler was pretty good. Now he has filled out in his body shape -- he was always gonna take longer, he has some skllls. I think he'll see a fair amount of game time. By the end of this year, I suspect he'll take Mayne's spot.
I'm hoping for the beginning of the year instead

Remove this Banner Ad

Back