Preview Geelong vs Collingwood, Practice Match Fri 26 Feb, 11am @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Got caught on the turnover a lot, but they also must have been rotating positions more than usual - Zuthrie, Bews and Hendo all seemed to spend time up forward.
Yep. Also reckon that manning the mark rule will have a bigger impact than people expected.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Aint we paying him over 400 thousand a year? How could someone on that coin be only borderline best 22.
Glass half empty view
We’re paying Henderson a rookie contract. How could he be best 22?
Let’s face it, Dal came here for a purpose and it’s probably time for him to be replaced by a actual goal kicker

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pies had a problem with members not giving there email at all or it not being correct
For those who didn’t get it that’s what I would be checking first
I’ve got a AFL member and I got it 3 times for me, my daughter and my wife
I'm an AFL member with reserved seat and didn't receive an email from the club.

Saw the first three quarters. Really liked the look of Evans. That chase down was lightning and he has neat skills. Get him, Gryan and Rohan at the feet of Hawk and Cameron and we will have a nice mix.

Parfitt’s kicking worries me.

Thought Higgins showed some good signs. He’s like another Duncan.

Although Cameron only kicked one I thought his presence was important and it showed the difference of having another legitimate key forward (vs Danger, Ratugolea, even Stanley who are not).

Might be reading too much into it but I thought we leaked goals and our defence looked weak - the Harry effect? It might also be an adjustment period. A back six of Bews, Blicavs, O’Connor, Stewart, Henderson and Henry is extremely strong and versatile. Add Tuohy and Clark into the mix for additional flexibility and another dimension.

Excited for footy again.

The big thing with that is getting Rohan to stay on the ground and be ready for when the ball hits the deck, rather than being the one flying for the mark, not taking the mark and then being out the next play because he's trying to up off the ground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I too am interstate and didnt get it. Maybe they did ignore interstate fans.
but not the international ones.

Regardless.. the club needs to do better with its emails on things like this - provided the members that got nothing have actually provided the right info to the club.

GO CAtters

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Saw the first three quarters. Really liked the look of Evans. That chase down was lightning and he has neat skills. Get him, Gryan and Rohan at the feet of Hawk and Cameron and we will have a nice mix.

Parfitt’s kicking worries me.

Thought Higgins showed some good signs. He’s like another Duncan.

Although Cameron only kicked one I thought his presence was important and it showed the difference of having another legitimate key forward (vs Danger, Ratugolea, even Stanley who are not).

Might be reading too much into it but I thought we leaked goals and our defence looked weak - the Harry effect? It might also be an adjustment period. A back six of Bews, Blicavs, O’Connor, Stewart, Henderson and Henry is extremely strong and versatile. Add Tuohy and Clark into the mix for additional flexibility and another dimension.

Excited for footy again.

My memory (no doubt not backed by stats) gave up a lot of cheap goals early in the season last year and then tightened up considerably when we moved to Perth and from then on. Well till the last quarter of Grand Final anyway....

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I thought we had more trouble coming out of defence on the narrow gutted ground either kick it out on the full or having the ball forced over the boundary than the Pies.
Both sides looked well advanced for February.
Like everyone else I liked Evans game.
Rohan had enough chances in the air to make Tom and Jerry look like second raters,actually big Tom looks in great nick again.
Dangerfield just a cameo but signs the explosive burst might be back.
Parfitt continues to grow as a footballer.
Guthrie continued his good form of last year a solid 4 quarters.
From what I've seen I like the new rules.
The Cats gave nothing away about the forward set up for season 2021.
PS: thought the umpires and the commentators were excellent.

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
A few things I noticed watching this match that impacts Round 1 to 5;
1. Evans is already ahead of Dahl in the forwardline. Harsh on Dahl, but Evans can kick over a jam jar.
2. I think we should really look at Atkins in defense for at least 5 games, better ball user than Bews and Kolo, quick enough to tag the smaller forwards we always struggle with. He won't ever be a good enough forward and he certainly won't displace any of our mids.
3. Danger absolutely needs to stay up the field. He looked like he was in 2nd gear and was still bursting out of packs. Defenses are going to s**t themselves if we have him smashing in 50m forward entries to Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan. What he does breaks Richmonds press and it killed us not having him in form in the GF.
4. We are completely ****ed if Stanley gets injured.

Think this year is the year we see Parfitt, O'Connor, Miers and Simpson go up a level should they stay healthy. I think they are where the improvement comes from because we are going to get high output from the regulars in Danger, Selwood, Hawkins, Blicavs etc. We also need to see Clark, Constable and Narkle become contributors, at minimum 8 games.

Obviously just a practice match and lots of things change, especially with some rust in the match, but there were some very telling signs.
Higgins is a really smart user of the ball, and so was Constable. Both got the ball in traffic and generally were making good decisions and hitting targets. Obviously Higgins will start Rd 1, but wonder if Constable has worked on his fitness like the coaching staff want because it offers something different in midfield. At one point he gets the ball on the wing and basically directs Menegola into the space for an easy handball that becomes an i50.

Jenkins is a better 2nd ruck than Esava right now and should be preferred to Blicavs who is needed in other positions, namely defence. Jenkins was nothing special, but he set up shots on goal with quick handballs into space, and gets into the right positions on the field. If Jenkins was in his 20s it wouldn't even be a question. Plus Jenkins can kick goals. I wonder if V Essendon we see Fort in the ruck, but also maybe if we see more of De Koning in the ruck (late in the third he jumped all over Grundy) or if maybe we see some game time for Neale or Tsapatolis (although no way are they ready to be 2nd ruck if we want a premiership).

A few things I noticed watching this match that impacts Round 1 to 5;
1. Evans is already ahead of Dahl in the forwardline. Harsh on Dahl, but Evans can kick over a jam jar.
2. I think we should really look at Atkins in defense for at least 5 games, better ball user than Bews and Kolo, quick enough to tag the smaller forwards we always struggle with. He won't ever be a good enough forward and he certainly won't displace any of our mids.
3. Danger absolutely needs to stay up the field. He looked like he was in 2nd gear and was still bursting out of packs. Defenses are going to sh*t themselves if we have him smashing in 50m forward entries to Hawkins, Cameron and Rohan. What he does breaks Richmonds press and it killed us not having him in form in the GF.
4. We are completely f’ed if Stanley gets injured.

Think this year is the year we see Parfitt, O'Connor, Miers and Simpson go up a level should they stay healthy. I think they are where the improvement comes from because we are going to get high output from the regulars in Danger, Selwood, Hawkins, Blicavs etc. We also need to see Clark, Constable and Narkle become contributors, at minimum 8 games.

Obviously just a practice match and lots of things change, especially with some rust in the match, but there were some very telling signs.
Higgins is a really smart user of the ball, and so was Constable. Both got the ball in traffic and generally were making good decisions and hitting targets. Obviously Higgins will start Rd 1, but wonder if Constable has worked on his fitness like the coaching staff want because it offers something different in midfield. At one point he gets the ball on the wing and basically directs Menegola into the space for an easy handball that becomes an i50.

Jenkins is a better 2nd ruck than Esava right now and should be preferred to Blicavs who is needed in other positions, namely defence. Jenkins was nothing special, but he set up shots on goal with quick handballs into space, and gets into the right positions on the field. If Jenkins was in his 20s it wouldn't even be a question. Plus Jenkins can kick goals. I wonder if V Essendon we see Fort in the ruck, but also maybe if we see more of De Koning in the ruck (late in the third he jumped all over Grundy) or if maybe we see some game time for Neale or Tsapatolis (although no way are they ready to be 2nd ruck if we want a premiership).

No to Fort - he's battling a posterior cruciate issue and no return date at this stage

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Dahlhaus is an interesting one.

When we switch to the predictable more attacking gameplan forward of the centre (viz the recruitment of Cameron, Higgins and Smith), will Dahlhaus be able to revert to his old Footscray role as a forward after sacrificing his natural game to play as an F50 defender for the last 2 years (something he's done very well, by the way)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back