Preview Geelong vs Collingwood, Practice Match Fri 26 Feb, 11am @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
am i in topsy turvey world. A forwards main job is to create goals From foward entries. Its not to tackle players who have got the ball from a failed foward entry. a foward has to fail his main goal first in order to be in a position to get a foward defensive tackle.

It is not a success replacing a player who kicks 2 goals a game with 2 tackles and replacing them with someone who has 4 tackles a game and 0.5 goals. Its goal scoreboard that determines winners of football games. Not tackle leaderboards.
Your argument is so outdated and suited to a discussion on football in the 1980s. Football these days is about entries and retaining the ball inside 50 because teams zone back providing limited opportunities for one on ones. With your logic a forward line of six Dan menzels should do the trick. Whether you like to accept it or not, football is a system based game now. There a very few traditional positions on the ground. Geelong’s gameplan is based on possession from back half, and forward half turnovers. A prelim and a GF since we acquired Dalhaus and Rohan would suggest we got it right.

Re-watching the game now. Jenkins is extremely unfit, 5mins into the 3rd and he's gassed. Also, I don't understand the criticism of Nick Stevens? He's been great, hit some very nice targets.

Your argument is so outdated and suited to a discussion on football in the 1980s. Football these days is about entries and retaining the ball inside 50 because teams zone back providing limited opportunities for one on ones. With your logic a forward line of six Dan menzels should do the trick. Whether you like to accept it or not, football is a system based game now. There a very few traditional positions on the ground. Geelong’s gameplan is based on possession from back half, and forward half turnovers. A prelim and a GF since we acquired Dalhaus and Rohan would suggest we got it right.
this would make sense if the ball didnt go back to the centre everytime a goal is kicked And reset each play. But it does. That has not changed. defensive pressure is not required if a foward entry is successful. Only if it fails. Do not confuse that with me saying foward defensive pressure is not important.

the reason it is topsy turvey is because the posters im quoting are advocating the player B in the following example is a better player Then A.

6 foward entries.
Player A wins the ball 4 out of 6 times and kicks 3 goals 1. He fails to lay a tackle on the 3 rebounds out of 6.

player B wins the ball zero times from 6 foward entries. But on the rebound lays 3 tackles. 1 of tgese tackles eventually turns into a goal.

Your argument could only possibly make sense if after a goal is kicked the opposition kicks the ball out of defense. In that case defensive pressure player B could trump player A. The reason being is that defensive pressure creates multiple goals in a row while player A may get one goal but then the ball flues up the field to the other teams foward line where there great defensive pressure creates multiple goals in a row.

but this is not what happens. The game is reset after every goal. Mathematically player A always trumps player B under this condition. Unless we dump the centre bounce and turn into basketball this will always be the case.

this is an argument of maths. Each play between a goal is a seperate independent event. There is no correlation.

Francis Evans looking really good, and he is built like a nugget. Probably overtaken Atkins now, and probably why they want to try Atkins down back now.

Evans probably has Atkins covered as a forward but I liked the use of Atkins in defence , his brain seemed quick to react / adjust in open play and he created opportunities by hand and foot a la Caleb Daniel and dare I say it Sam Mitchell. Not sure about his defensive work, I was just trying to get an overall impression and I was pretty happy.

Evans probably has Atkins covered as a forward but I liked the use of Atkins in defence , his brain seemed quick to react / adjust in open play and he created opportunities by hand and foot a la Caleb Daniel and dare I say it Sam Mitchell. Not sure about his defensive work, I was just trying to get an overall impression and I was pretty happy.
I dislike using this win win but this could be one time where it may actually be that.

Re-watching the game now. Jenkins is extremely unfit, 5mins into the 3rd and he's gassed. Also, I don't understand the criticism of Nick Stevens? He's been great, hit some very nice targets.
Jenkins played the full game I think and took the ruck job with Stanley going off at half time and kicked 2 second half goals,was still competing strongly at the last two center bounces of the final quarter.

Francis Evans Highlights from the practice game
He did some very good things on good opponents.
Our marking Maynard isn’t an easy feat

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/vide...ghlights?videoId=870870&modal=true&type=video
I was thinking that during the replay. I know in his limited juniors footy, he was taking good strong overhead marks in the forward line. Its kind of rare to have that skill set and be a goal sneak at that height. He seems to move decent. He does look shorter than 182cm on the ground though to me, more like 175-177cm, but this could be an optical illusion as he is a bit nuggety.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking that during the replay. I know in his limited juniors footy, he was taking good strong overhead marks in the forward line. Its kind of rare to have that skill set and be a goal sneak at that height. He seems to move decent. He does look shorter than 182cm on the ground though to me, more like 175-177cm, but this could be an optical illusion as he is a bit nuggety.
Horizontal stripes.

Watching the replay. Parfitt buffed!

Finally got to see the replay.
As many have noted, very encouraging display from Atkins and Evans but I suspect both will find the real stuff more challenging having to be accountable for damaging opponents.
Neale moves really well. Liked SDK’s athleticism. Whilst Stevens and Freddie (on limited showing) got caught out of position a couple of times I thought they linked up well pretty with moves out of defence - okay for first games against senior opposition. (After knee problems last season, club would be happy for Freddie just to get through a quarter and hopefully pull up well).
Tactically - it looks like the chipping game plan will continue, perhaps with quicker switching and movement. This was okay against Collingwood who seemed to set the zone in the back half but will be a lot harder against sides like Tigers that set zones from centre to half forward. A lot is going to rely on Danger staying fit and hopefully finding a few other line breakers who can cut through deep zones.

Last edited:
For anyone who wanted to chrome cast to a TV screen they've now uploaded it to the app so you can mirror your screen and watch away
Which app? Because I tried it on the Cats one last night and there wasn't an option to cast.

Which app? Because I tried it on the Cats one last night and there wasn't an option to cast.
You can mirror your screen on a Google Chrome by accessing through the home app on your phone. Go to the device and mirror screen option is at the bottom. Then just go to the app and play full screen

Francis Evans Highlights from the practice game
He did some very good things on good opponents.
Our marking Maynard isn’t an easy feat

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/vide...ghlights?videoId=870870&modal=true&type=video
Think the Evans similarity to Chapman is very apt - looks to have good strength, ability to hold feet/shrug tackles, bit of nouce and technically good with foot skills (right foot at least - liked the controlled/ low ball drop, nearly places it on the boot). Hopefully better self control than Chappy, whose aggro likely cost us a GF spot IMO.

Early days for Frank but very encouraging.

Last edited:
You don't mirror from the Cats app. In google home there should be an option to mirror the phone screen, then once that's up and running play the video from the cats app
I'm not getting that option

Worked it ok out. Thanks guys.
It's also a really good option if you want to see a players highlights on the afl app. If you mirror then go to the afl app, go to stats, then search the player you can a game of theirs, click watch, then select extended and it will give you 20 seconds or so of footage for every stat they recorded in the match. It's pretty good because you can see the good the bad and the ugly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back