Preview Geelong vs Collingwood, Practice Match Fri 26 Feb, 11am @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to watching it.

Not sure where the negativity on Nick Stevens is coming from. He didn't look too bad for his 3rd month on a list.

Zuthrie also wasn't awful for a depth option, he looks better which is all you can ask. Would probably extend him a year if he keeps improving.

SDK was really good. We need to sign this kid onto an extension now.

Neale is raw but there was one point where he started chasing down a defender and you could see his closing speed. If you want to mould a key forward he's made of the right clay.

Okunbor really suffered from that missed year with the torn Achilles. See him again in a 2022 scratch match I think.

Evans has justified the pick used on him easily.

Not sure Jenkins will ever play another senior game.

Constable seemed to play a lot of minutes. I think he plays a few games this year.

Looking forward to the dons and seeing Cooper Stephens hopefully

Not sure where the negativity on Nick Stevens is coming from. He didn't look too bad for his 3rd month on a list.

Zuthrie also wasn't awful for a depth option, he looks better which is all you can ask. Would probably extend him a year if he keeps improving.

Neale is raw but there was one point where he started chasing down a defender and you could see his closing speed. If you want to mould a key forward he's made of the right clay.

Okunbor really suffered from that missed year with the torn Achilles. See him again in a 2022 scratch match I think.

Constable seemed to play a lot of minutes. I think he plays a few games this year.

Jenkins kicked 2 and linked up well around the ground. If Esava had done the same thing as Jenkins people would be going ******* mental over him.

He played a really good game as a second ruck.

Jenkins kicked 2 and linked up well around the ground. If Esava had done the same thing as Jenkins people would be going ******* mental over him.

I agree - although clearly out pointed against established rucks JJ competed well, covered territory and used the ball well. Unfortunately for JJ he is behind Esva as the depth for Cameron and Hawk but could be a very handy option if needed, if he stays fit.

Really encouraging signs from Constable, particularly in fourth Qtr - fitness seemed good and was linking up well (wasn’t just relying on scrabbled possessions in contests). Again the challenge for him is finding a spot - a sub for Joel (if niggles) is probably still his best hope.

I guess I was really only watching his ruck work. Maybe I should take a second look

I agree - although clearly out pointed against established rucks JJ competed well, covered territory and used the ball well. Unfortunately for JJ he is behind Esva as the depth for Cameron and Hawk but could be a very handy option if needed, if he stays fit.
Not alone but covid and later the soft tissue injury hurt JJ's crack at the afl team last yr.
I'm sure the pro he is, he'll put in every effort to keep his name up. From what I have seen he's a good teacher on ground with the younger boys also.

Except he can't get more than 2" off the ground in a ruck contest...
It's negligible at the clearances because they usually ruck against other teams 2nd rucks who don't win clearances. We are one of the few clubs who have been dumb enough to have 2nd rucks like Blicavs and Esava go up against other teams 1st rucks and we get punished for it (2 years straight we have lost to WCE because Nic Nat got decisive taps).

Your second rucks purpose is to give the first ruck a breather and contribute around the ground. Blicavs is a great second ruck but we need him in defense and Scott frequently uses him as a first ruck.
Esava just doesn't do enough with the ball up the ground to be a good 2nd ruck (prone to really bad decision making) and doesn't do enough forward with the ball.
To be fair we haven't had a good ruck set up since Ottens and West. But that's more on our recruiting than anything.

It's negligible at the clearances because they usually ruck against other teams 2nd rucks who don't win clearances. We are one of the few clubs who have been dumb enough to have 2nd rucks like Blicavs and Esava go up against other teams 1st rucks and we get punished for it (2 years straight we have lost to WCE because Nic Nat got decisive taps).

Your second rucks purpose is to give the first ruck a breather and contribute around the ground. Blicavs is a great second ruck but we need him in defense and Scott frequently uses him as a first ruck.
Esava just doesn't do enough with the ball up the ground to be a good 2nd ruck (prone to really bad decision making) and doesn't do enough forward with the ball.
To be fair we haven't had a good ruck set up since Ottens and West. But that's more on our recruiting than anything.
That's all well and good but do we really ever have a 1st ruck? How much of a downgrade on Rhys is the tapwork those you mention? He's still our best but I'm not sure the difference is that distinct

Stanley is by a big margin the best ruck we have in the team, had he gotten injured in the last round of the season I have doubts we make the Grand Final due to how much his exclusion changes the make up of the team. He was the best ruck on the field by in all our finals bar the GF, and even then he was still really good in the GF.
If we had gone in with Stanley and Esava, I don't see either of those 2 playing as ruck and kicking enough goals, winning enough hit outs or making enough clearances.
Blicavs just doesn't score enough goals and Esava just doesn't get enough of the ball. V Port when we were up against it Stanley had 2 goals from 10 possessions, 3 i50 and 2 clearances. Esava isn't getting close to that and Blicavs wouldn't kick those goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me JJ and Sav both do not say 2nd ruckman is mine, so i think maybe SDK can get a couple of games as 2nd ruckman and if Neale goes alright in the VFL then a couple games for him too.
I would really like to see how SDK goes, hard to tell where Grundy is at but he is still top quality and he was jumping over him late in the game. Hope we see a lot more of him over the preseason.

Don't think they put out stats for the match did they?

Jenkins averages more marks over his career than Esava and Blicavs, and is only just behind Esava for contested marks. But he outdoes Esava in most other facets.

I'll never understand career averages as a relevant measurement for an upcoming season with players at either ends of their career. Jenkins is no where near the player who created those averages at this stage of his career, and Esava is still trending upwards. Hence their career statistical average are a terrible way to predict future performance! STATISTICS ARGGGHHH

0% Disposal efficiency in 0 games sounds about right to me.:)
It's one of those quirks - would either default to 100% or 0% with no games played, just depends on how it was setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back