Preview Geelong vs Demons (literal and figurative)- Elim Final Fri 7th Sept MCG @750 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody tell 6 time All Australian, premiership ruckman Dean Cox

(Or Jim Stynes for that matter)
Stynes??? You clearly didnt see him play. He aint in the top 20 rucks of the modern era. Our rucks used to flog stynes.

Gawn has cox in ruck contests but cox better around the ground.

Best rucks of the modern era

Smadden
Gawn
Cox
Rehn
Sandilands
Goldstein

In that order.

Stynes??? You clearly didnt see him play. He aint in the top 20 rucks of the modern era. Our rucks used to flog stynes.

Smadden
Gawn
Cox
Rehn
Sandilands
Goldstein

In that order.
Do they hand out Brownlows and MVPs for s**t rucks?

Someone tell Trent West.

Do they hand out Brownlows and MVPs for s**t rucks?

Someone tell Trent West.
If they sit at half back racking up heaps of touches they used to. Scott wynd won a brownlow as a ruck. He aint up there either. Even goodes won playing as a ruck and he aint in the top 50 ruckman. Mckernan won a brownlow on votes as a ruckman. To be fair that season was pretty awesome but over the course of his career he doesnt rank in the top dozen rucks either.

In 1991 stynes averaged less then 11 hit outs a game. Our ruckman who played 20 games averages just under 20. Stynes racked up a lot of touches mostly off half back and as a linkman running through the middle.

Last edited:
Abbott/Stanley/Smith all B graders
O’Connor/Thurlow same

Won’t decide who wins or loses

We got thumped in the prelim last year cos of poor foot skills. Out intensity was fine for a change.

But Thurlow's foot skills haven't been brilliant at AFL level this year and while O'Connor is conservative by foot he's pretty clean. O'Connor goes at 2 turnovers per game compared to Thurlow's 2.86. Aside from free kicks against O'Connor is averaging 0.5 clangers per game compared to Thurlow's 1.4.

We were killed against Adelaide because of bad turnovers in bad positions. The evidence suggests O'Connor will do that less than Thurlow. Thurlow's kicking can be a weapon but he has barely shown that at afl level this year. It hasn't made up for the extra turnovers he's committed.

But Thurlow's foot skills haven't been brilliant at AFL level this year and while O'Connor is conservative by foot he's pretty clean. O'Connor goes at 2 turnovers per game compared to Thurlow's 2.86. Aside from free kicks against O'Connor is averaging 0.5 clangers per game compared to Thurlow's 1.4.

We were killed against Adelaide because of bad turnovers in bad positions. The evidence suggests O'Connor will do that less than Thurlow. Thurlow's kicking can be a weapon but he has barely shown that at afl level this year. It hasn't made up for the extra turnovers he's committed.
Thurlow kicks long whilst oconner is too scared to kick it more then twenty metres. Turnovers arent comparable if they are attempting very different plays. SJ used to have an awfuk turnover rate but he would win us games with his passes.

Scary thought but if you deduct the 3 finals games last year x number of players playing finals this year for the Tigers you end up close to Melbournes figure of 44.
Lewis said that modern day players are fearless and can ignore pressure and social media criticism - I wonder how relevant experience is and whether motivation from breaking a drought overcomes nerves anyway ??

And if ypu add this and deduct that you end up agreeing with your hypothesis every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide did not make the finals and lost 5 of their last 6 games to miss, since Hinkley took over they have not really lived up to the hype. Scott on the other hand has an excellent record.

Rubbish.

Our record in finals under him is awful. Scott himself said he had little to do with the 2011 flag, which is obviously the case. I think Geelong's finals record since 2011 is 2 and 9 or something similar. The intent the club has brought to most of those games has been poor. This IS a coaching / cultural issue.

I'll say it again, GFC were very, very close to missing the finals. Try and think of a list better than ours that has missed finals in recent times.

Rubbish.

Our record in finals under him is awful. Scott himself said he had little to do with the 2011 flag, which is obviously the case. I think Geelong's finals record since 2011 is 2 and 9 or something similar. The intent the club has brought to most of those games has been poor. This IS a coaching / cultural issue.

I'll say it again, GFC were very, very close to missing the finals. Try and think of a list better than ours that has missed finals in recent times.
True. Scott’s record is par at best. Needs some good wins in finals this year to convince.

Smadden
Gawn
Cox
Rehn
Sandilands
Goldstein

In that order.
Don't rate Scotty Wynd, Corey Mckernan, even our own Johnny Barnes did more than what Gawn has done to date.

Thurlow kicks long whilst oconner is too scared to kick it more then twenty metres. Turnovers arent comparable if they are attempting very different plays. SJ used to have an awfuk turnover rate but he would win us games with his passes.

Now you're shifting the goal posts. There's no doubt at his best Thurlow's kicking is a weapon. He hasn't really shown it at afl level this year though. You brought up the Adelaide final but our problem that day was bad turnovers not lacking creativity by foot. And if we want to prevent bad turnovers then the evidence suggests O'Connor will do that better than Thurlow.

I was talking to a vline guy just before (topping up my Myki ahead of tomorrow), and he believes that the days of Geelong football trains to Richmond are over - so it's been fun but time for exercise before & after matches now

Yeah but its insulting as they could bring the train through and turn it into the Tralagon but of course couldn’t do that because they can’t clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For what its worth I reckon the winner of our game will beat the Hawks should they lose tonight.
Good luck next week. I hope you kick their entitled arses back to to where they belong.

Rubbish.

Yep terrible finals coach. Especially that flag in 2011. I remember even if you choose not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back