Geelong vs Golden State Warriors - has AFL equalisation failed?

As a Cats fan, don't you agree that the Cats dominance of the AFL is very much like the Warriors dominance of the NBA?

Hence, AFL equalisation policies have failed.
Geelong haven’t dominated for years, and even now that dominance is questionable. They’re really nothing like the Warriors...

I always thought they were both called Glasgow. A quick Google search indicates I was wrong. Good one :thumbsu:
Yeah a lot of people do.

Sidenote did you just happily concede an error? That's not how Bigfooty works ;)

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
As silly as the comparisons are a salary cap loses its effectiveness when top end talent earn so much. Top end talent are easily able to set themselves up for life over multiple seasons and can then play for less money than other clubs are willing to pay for the chance of success. The problem is the players are people, not for profit companies, and hence money isn't the only objective when deciding which contract to sign.
It's not really fair to force players to go to the highest bidder but maybe players should be valued independently rather than using a dollar figure. This does however open up another can of worms entirely.

Contracts aren't made public so there is muchos speculation about who is paid how much and how each contract is structured. The biggest failing in the AFL salary cap system is front/back ending contracts. Every club pays 95-100% of the salary cap each year regardless of list quality. Any club can sign any player with creative accounting which goes against how the salary cap is supposed to work.

Free agency has made it slightly easier for players to move clubs but the AFL still has very restricted player movement. Fans also have unrealistic expectations of players. In the NRL or A-League or NBL if players are out of contract and want to join another team they just do. In the AFL people lose their s**t because a guy that never chose to go to a particular club in the first place wants to go elsewhere after anywhere from 2-7 seasons.

JeanLucGoddard said based ON a city/town, not based IN a city/town. He is quite right. Hence my example of Juventus, which is based in Turin but not named after a city, town or even any location at all.

Thank you, Geelong and Perth education system products doing what they do earlier on.

And yes, Juve are one of the other examples in a thin list.

Celtic and Rangers?

The famous Glasgow Rangers? Not officially in their "current" name, but they do refer to themselves as that.

Celtic more accurate.

Both based in Glasgow. Both called Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers I think?

Arsenal though would be one? I mean even GWS Giants would be one.

Arsenal named after Arsenal Woolwich, very clear part of London innit.

Both based in Glasgow. Both called Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers I think?

Arsenal though would be one? I mean even GWS Giants would be one.

Read number 3.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/11/10-soccer-things-you-might-be-saying-wrong.html
The famous Glasgow Rangers? Not officially in their "current" name, but they do refer to themselves as that.

Celtic more accurate.
Has it ever been in their official name?

Proud 2 Be Ur New Dad

R.I.P Billy Conforto
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Upon hearing the news of Geelong trying to lure Jeremy Cameron, I can't help but be reminded of Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder to go to the Golden State Warriors.

Funny enough while Geelong remind me of the Warriors, my followed AFL club the Giants remind me of my followed NBA team the Thunder.

This coupled with Geelong's phenomenal domination of the AFL much like the Warriors domination of the NBA, you can't help but feel that AFL equalisation policies have failed.

Do you agree that the AFL equalisation policies have failed, and what policies can be brought in to try and stop 1 team dominating year in, year out?
I'm 100% certain 17 other clubs are trying to get Cameron's signature. For mine, its lazy journalism when they do this whole "Geelong are in the race for Cameron's signature". You can say that about every club, and even if he doesn't go there doesn't mean you were wrong.

To your point about equalisation, Tom Lynch going to Richmond is more of a Durant move for mine.

Golden State 2016 = Richmond 2018: Both were the best team all year. Richmond had a historic MCG run of consecutive wins, Golden State broke the regular season win record, only for both clubs to fall short on the big stage. Both got taken out in emphatic fashion.

Durant = Lynch: Both moving from a small market seeking a larger market and took what they believed at the time to be the easiest possible path to a Premiership/Championship. A lot of people forget that Lynch had decided to go to Richmond PRIOR to Richmond getting knocked out by the Pies in the Prelim. They could have won a Premiership and he still would have gone there. The same situation with Durant, Golden State were poaching him all year while they were on the greatest regular season run of all time. They thought they were going to win the championship and were still happy to sign Durant.

Equalization is always going to have its issues, I think the draft and academies do a pretty good job. Sydney isn't exactly a flyover city like Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Upon hearing the news of Geelong trying to lure Jeremy Cameron, I can't help but be reminded of Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder to go to the Golden State Warriors.

Funny enough while Geelong remind me of the Warriors, my followed AFL club the Giants remind me of my followed NBA team the Thunder.

This coupled with Geelong's phenomenal domination of the AFL much like the Warriors domination of the NBA, you can't help but feel that AFL equalisation policies have failed.

Do you agree that the AFL equalisation policies have failed, and what policies can be brought in to try and stop 1 team dominating year in, year out?
Oh be quiet. We have a few father son champs coming through. Wait until they have been picked up for cheap before you start gloating.

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
Geelong are nothing like the warriors. Your forgetting that basketball is a team of 5 on the court, so getting a player like Durant when they already had 3 all stars made the comp uncompetitive

Black Stripe

Yellow Paint
Feb 15, 2019
Liverpool
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Oklahoma City and Sydney Thunder
Geelong haven’t dominated for years, and even now that dominance is questionable. They’re really nothing like the Warriors...

Geelong have dominated since 2007 with a winning percentage of 75% over that time.

Oh be quiet. We have a few father son champs coming through. Wait until they have been picked up for cheap before you start gloating.

Further proves my point regarding equalisation failing, given Geelong are set to dominate indefinitely.

Geelong are nothing like the warriors. Your forgetting that basketball is a team of 5 on the court, so getting a player like Durant when they already had 3 all stars made the comp uncompetitive

Geelong got Dangerfield though.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
If anything this shows the opposite. Super teams do not work in the AFL (see GWS - though there's still time..), signing big names rarely works in the AFL (see Sydney with Franklin and Tippett).

The two sports will never be comparable in any way.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
In the most even season in history (arguably) there's a question on the validity of the equalization process. Really? There are few competitions around the world that have equalization that match the AFL. Even given the blunt and open intent to throw endless amounts of money at their own manufactured teams in rl territory in an attempt to force success for them to garner local interest.

One look at the EPL would indicate the equalization measures in the AFL have more integrity, probably more than most.

To align Geelong's early season form with the dominance of GS - well I don't know because I don't follow basketball. However reading some of the posts it seems that the nba team are very dominant or have been in recent times.

When was the last time Geelong were dominant? Certainly not this year or even recently, 08 and 09 perhaps? How do you measure "dominance"?, well I wouldn't say they're "dominant" right now. The form team? Absolutely, but not dominant.

So how does one question the equalization measures when we're in arguably the most even season in history?

Geelong have dominated since 2007 with a winning percentage of 75% over that time.

Further proves my point regarding equalisation failing, given Geelong are set to dominate indefinitely.

Geelong got Dangerfield though.
Geelong’s winning record after 2011 is approximately 69%. Very good, but hardly a dominant force. It’s actually astonishing that you’d think that you could include a period from a decade ago where they actually did dominate to boost numbers for your argument and not get picked up on it.

Back