Geelong vs Golden State Warriors - has AFL equalisation failed?

Remove this Banner Ad

The previous three grand finals were won by three different clubs and this year is anyone’s game really. (Well not anyone but you get my point.) if anything I would say equalisation is extremely strong as with the exception of Carlton no team are locked cellar dwellers and have shown huge improvement.

Geelong got reasonably lucky with father/sons, attracting Danger and getting Ablett back, plus Wells is a genius. I am not sure if equalisation is at fault.

As a Cats fan, don't you agree that the Cats dominance of the AFL is very much like the Warriors dominance of the NBA?

Hence, AFL equalisation policies have failed.

Geelong haven't won a flag in almost a decade. Have you been an AFL fan longer than 3 months? They scraped into the finals last year and were defeated out of the gate. Why on Earth are they being compared to the Golden State Warriors (who have won 3 out of the last 4 titles)? It's round 8 FFS and the OP has already got Geelong down for a 3peat. BF is getting more idiotic by the season.

Anyways, If Geelong manage to lure Cameron over within the rules and salary cap then good on them. We will take Kelly in a 3 way deal ;)

Last edited:
Upon hearing the news of Geelong trying to lure Jeremy Cameron, I can't help but be reminded of Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder to go to the Golden State Warriors.

Funny enough while Geelong remind me of the Warriors, my followed AFL club the Giants remind me of my followed NBA team the Thunder.

This coupled with Geelong's phenomenal domination of the AFL much like the Warriors domination of the NBA, you can't help but feel that AFL equalisation policies have failed.

Do you agree that the AFL equalisation policies have failed, and what policies can be brought in to try and stop 1 team dominating year in, year out?

We won't get Cameron, we can't offer a million and really he can make a lot more at GWS who are still contenders.

if you're a mouth breather that thinks equalisation of outcome is whats important, then sure its failed

geelong have had less access to the draft than anyone over the last decade and succeed despite a lack of equality of opportunity

Upon hearing the news of Geelong trying to lure Jeremy Cameron, I can't help but be reminded of Kevin Durant leaving the Thunder to go to the Golden State Warriors.

Funny enough while Geelong remind me of the Warriors, my followed AFL club the Giants remind me of my followed NBA team the Thunder.

This coupled with Geelong's phenomenal domination of the AFL much like the Warriors domination of the NBA, you can't help but feel that AFL equalisation policies have failed.

Do you agree that the AFL equalisation policies have failed, and what policies can be brought in to try and stop 1 team dominating year in, year out?
a very horrible comparison

Eh the problem with kevin durant going to golden state was the fact that

a) He left to the team that beat his team coming back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 in the conference finals, "if you can't beat em, join em"

b) he joined the team that had just set the NBA regular season record of 73 wins and 9 losses, had almost won their second consecutive championship and was already the best team in the league.

c) he left in free agency, and im pretty sure in the NBA there is no compensation for players leaving in free agency.

d) he left a small town market where he was loved in Oklahoma to join a big town market in California.

Very far stretch to relate these two situations.

A more comparable situation would be for example(hypothetical just making a point)

a)geelong win 2019 grand final beating GWS, after losing only 1 game all year and being arguably best team of all time throughout year.

b)jeremy cameron leaves giants in free agency to join Geelong and takes less money to play in a great team.

c)another superstar lets say nat fyfe also leaves his team to join Geelong in free agency.

d)Geelong improve significantly from their 2019 season and go on to win next 3 or so flags being easily best team in comp the whole time

Then you can probably say that Geelong are like the warriors.

People were saying the same thing when we got Lynch.

The difference between footy and the NBA is you need a lot of good players to win, not just a couple of superstars.

Having said that, it is a bit of a broken system if guys like Lynch and Cameron are going to the top teams.

has AFL equalisation failed?

Of course it has. At the end of the day no matter how many draft, cap etc rules you put in teams will always find a way to get around them. The top teams will always attract the better players while the bottom teams will struggle. Basically the lower teams, the only chance they have is to build a team from the bottom and hope it pays off like the Bulldogs. The other advantage is that clubs like Geelong, Collingwood etc can basically spend what ever they want on training facilities, getting players good advertising agreements. There are a host other areas they have the advantage in as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL setup is actually about as good as you can get from an equalisation standpoint.

You're going to have big teams and small teams with inherent advantages, but in terms of money to spend in the cap and the draft it's very very fair.

I think the competition is as easy as it's ever been and the fairytale premierships of recent seasons suggests everyone is a chance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

The AFL setup is actually about as good as you can get from an equalisation standpoint.

You're going to have big teams and small teams with inherent advantages, but in terms of money to spend in the cap and the draft it's very very fair.

I think the competition is as easy as it's ever been and the fairytale premierships of recent seasons suggests everyone is a chance.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

yeah could also be another 20 years until one of those happens again.

Eh the problem with kevin durant going to golden state was the fact that

a) He left to the team that beat his team coming back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 in the conference finals, "if you can't beat em, join em"

b) he joined the team that had just set the NBA regular season record of 73 wins and 9 losses, had almost won their second consecutive championship and was already the best team in the league.

c) he left in free agency, and im pretty sure in the NBA there is no compensation for players leaving in free agency.

d) he left a small town market where he was loved in Oklahoma to join a big town market in California.

Very far stretch to relate these two situations.

A more comparable situation would be for example(hypothetical just making a point)

a)geelong win 2019 grand final beating GWS, after losing only 1 game all year and being arguably best team of all time throughout year.

b)jeremy cameron leaves giants in free agency to join Geelong and takes less money to play in a great team.

c)another superstar lets say nat fyfe also leaves his team to join Geelong in free agency.

d)Geelong improve significantly from their 2019 season and go on to win next 3 or so flags being easily best team in comp the whole time

Then you can probably say that Geelong are like the warriors.

Patrick Dangerfield = Kevin Durant.

Geelong last won a flag in 2011.. arnt the GSW going for 3 straight ?

3 in 5 is better than 3 in a row.

Patrick Dangerfield = Kevin Durant.

3 in 5 is better than 3 in a row.

Patrick Dangerfield does not equal kevin durant

kevin durant joined the greatest team of all time

patrick dangerfield joined a team that missed finals

And 3 in 5 is not better than 3 in a row, warriors are goin for 4 in 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back