Preview Geelong vs Hawthorn, Easter Monday 5th April, 3:20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We came out all guns blazing on Friday night and ended scrapped home with 1 point over the Lions following the umpires losing their whistles in that final minute…

And now we turn our attention to a clash against a traditional rival in Hawthorn, and after missing out in 2020, we return to the more recent scheduling fixture of an annual Easter Monday clash

Wouldn't be surprising if there’s added media attention this week for last matches late goal hero Issac Smith as he lines up against his old team for the first time, at a ground he knows well and one which he’s previously helped Geelong win at a couple of times…

In these covid times, with ticket sales being managed differently and Monday being a Geelong ‘home’ match, he’ll likely not be facing the potential hostile Hawthorn crowd that one would have in past seasons

Geelong will be without Dangerfield and Rohan due to suspension, while the likes of Duncan, Menegola and Cameron are all returning from injuries and no certainties to be available

After a successful debut match from Frankie Evans on Friday night, will we get to see another newbie given a shot on Monday in place of the suspended Rohan, maybe it’ll be Jarvis running out for his 2nd game or will the MC call upon the experienced Jenkins who kicked 5 goals in the VFL

And before the club runs out next Monday, maybe a small reminder of how Clarkson referred to Geelong following last years 61 point smashing at the hand of the Cats down at KP
“We lowered our colours to a good side last week and I hope I’m not discrediting Geelong by saying it but they’re not that good - we were just terribly poor.”​

I’d go:

Constable - Duncan
Dahlhaus - Menegola
Rohan - Krueger
z Guthrie - Constable

Henry and Krueger can both play forward and back and gives us another marking option. Clark under a little pressure but hope his 5 tackles and a goal save him.

Got a feeling Geelong star Isaac Smith will play a blinder!

Based on the over reaction by the media after the Brisbane game I'm predicting the following.

1/ Gary Rohan will be given a lethal injection prior to the game and his ashes scattered across the G
2/ In the spirit of Easter, Chris Scott will be nailed to a cross in the goal square and stoned to death, just prior to the first bounce
3/ Geelong will be asked to default the 4 match points and the entire club placed into lockdown for 6 weeks for bringing the game into disrepute.

Seriously, at what point do the football journo's get called out for being what they are..... self righteous fools who should be held to account the same way as players, clubs and supporters are should they step out of line. Cancel a few AFL media accreditations and it might send a message. Seems any of them can get onto social media and go with whatever they want.....regardless of the need to fact check or take into account the repercussions should they get it wrong (and they regularly do).

Cats by a kick. Isaac Smith to kick the winner after the siren.

Isaac Smith to kick 16 goals and get all six Brownlow votes.

Not being negative - but just giving my honest view

Geelong are just going at the moment and thats all - got a pretty weak team at present with all the unavailable players

Watched a fair bit of the Rich v Haw game - Tigers were too good - like all top sides over the years Rich have just got too many good players on every line - thats why they are so hard to beat - and in my opinion should be $2 for the flag - and every other side should be upwards of $10 because they are not much good - none of them are up to Richmonds standard

Cant believe the odds on offer for this game - given the available players each team has got $1.26 Geel $3.80 Haw - that is utter nonsense - that is based on Geel finishing 2nd last year - not the current Cats outfit . I have actually had a small bet on the $3.80 on offer for Haw

I think it is an even money contest - i think if Haw play like they did against Rich - i think that is good enough to beat this current Geel outfit

Honest opinion ( given what i have seen in the past 2 weeks ) - this is going to be a very frustrating Geel Loss

Hawthorn by 20 pts - i think they will actually lead all day

Cant believe the odds on offer for this game - given the available players each team has got $1.26 Geel $3.80 Haw - that is utter nonsense - that is based on Geel finishing 2nd last year - not the current Cats outfit . I have actually had a small bet on the $3.80 on offer for Haw

Hawthorn is missing Gunston and Sicily (two of their top five players) and I think Wingard is 50/50 for this one. Their best youngster Will Day also got injured the other day, not sure if he's expected to miss.

The inclusion of Duncan alone mean we will be fielding a stronger team than we did v Brisbane, hopefully Menegola is good to go as well.

I agree it will be a frustrating game but surely we will do enough to get it done.

In: Cameron, Duncan, Holmes

Out: Kolodjashnij, Rohan, Dahlhaus

I think Jezza is very unlikely for one, hopefully he's ok for Melbourne the following week.

Would be great to see Holmes debut on the big stage.

I think Jezza is very unlikely for one, hopefully he's ok for Melbourne the following week.

Would be great to see Holmes debut on the big stage.
The fact this game is on Monday gives him a sneaky chance. He's running unhindered.

And we need leg speed.

Kolo needs to go, he's just not up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn is missing Gunston and Sicily (two of their top five players) and I think Wingard is 50/50 for this one. Their best youngster Will Day also got injured the other day, not sure if he's expected to miss.

The inclusion of Duncan alone mean we will be fielding a stronger team than we did v Brisbane, hopefully Menegola is good to go as well.

I agree it will be a frustrating game but surely we will do enough to get it done.

It is a very important game - if Geel are going to finish high up on the ladder then they just have to win it somehow - however i think the upcoming game is winnable by both sides

The betting odds on offer - youd think Geel were playing some poor interstate side down at KP where they were just about an over the line certainty - this is just not the case on Easter Monday

I have also got a theory and believed in it for a number of years - if your just got a so so team ( current Hawks side ) and you play the best team in the competition ( Rich ) and your not thrashed/disgraced - then i think that is very good form/practise for your following game - because it is a drop in class

Constable to 23rd man has to be a lock. Menegola in for him.

Rohan out I think Jarvis has to come in

I think we lack backline height when Blitz goes out and this is a decent game to debut in as a defender I think so I'm wanting Nathan Kreuger in to relaxed the wrong boy Kolo. We are going to really struggle at big grounds especially if we can find someone to defend the really big guys. It's not the usual kolo whipping though, he just can't defend really tall players.

I think we need more run and with Menegola fit he has to come in but I'm also not keen on losing any current wingers with Tuohy playing a blinder. My solution is to tap Dahlhaus on the shoulder and tell him to have a swing at more on the ball midfield time. Between Sam and Zac we can start with Tuohy on the wing and Menegola forward. Late in the game we can pull a switch with Sam having extra running capacity left when everyone else is cooked. Maybe there's a bit of off the ball pressure work we lose there but I'd take it and I think Dahlhaus needs to find some touch abc forcing him into the contest might just spark him up.

Can't see us risking Duncan off no preseason and half a vfl scratch.

It is a very important game - if Geel are going to finish high up on the ladder then they just have to win it somehow - however i think the upcoming game is winnable by both sides

The betting odds on offer - youd think Geel were playing some poor interstate side down at KP where they were just about an over the line certainty - this is just not the case on Easter Monday

I have also got a theory and believed in it for a number of years - if your just got a so so team ( current Hawks side ) and you play the best team in the competition ( Rich ) and your not thrashed/disgraced - then i think that is very good form/practise for your following game - because it is a drop in class
Didn't watch it but I get the feeling Richmond night have put the queue in the rack very early

In: Cameron, Duncan, Holmes

Out: Kolodjashnij, Rohan, Dahlhaus
That would be nice but you wouldn't want to risk Cameron and Duncan and Holmes would be amazing if it happened but realistically it's 2 scratch matches playing mostly a completely new role. Would rather give him a month in the new role I think before we shoehorn him into another position again

Not being negative - but just giving my honest view

Geelong are just going at the moment and thats all - got a pretty weak team at present with all the unavailable players

Watched a fair bit of the Rich v Haw game - Tigers were too good - like all top sides over the years Rich have just got too many good players on every line - thats why they are so hard to beat - and in my opinion should be $2 for the flag - and every other side should be upwards of $10 because they are not much good - none of them are up to Richmonds standard

I think it is an even money contest - i think if Haw play like they did against Rich - i think that is good enough to beat this current Geel outfit

Honest opinion ( given what i have seen in the past 2 weeks ) - this is going to be a very frustrating Geel Loss

Hawthorn by 20 pts - i think they will actually lead all day
Billy, betting against Geelong and especially betting on Hawthorn is just not on.

I don’t even go in tipping comps so I don’t have to ever tip Hawthorn for anything 😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back