Game Day Geelong vs Hawthorn, Easter Monday 5th April, 3:20pm @ MCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
And once again, the bunny brought eggs..... good chocky ones.
But thats not really what Easter is about.

Its about the Monday.... about 3pm in the arvo... at the G.

Where, lets be honest, the best rivalry in footy continues every year.

And this year is no different.

We need to go 2-1. Hawks would love nothing better than derailing that. We have had the lion share of these wins over the last 15 years or so - but that means nothing.

If we treat them as beaten - it will be over for us before the frost bounce. WE only need to look at the Crows game for that example.
If we treat them with respect and work hard accordingly, we can beat them and beat them well. But, the mindset and work rate must be evident and applied early and continuously from the get go.

A newbie for us to... the bolter from the draft where more than one spectator grilled Wellsy on using our future first on Max Holmes.... the runner with the Olympic pedigree... but after 2 x VFL BOG - he's in like Errol. Lets see him tear up the G now.

And hardly ever do the battle lines get crossed.

Isaac Smith is one of the few. He even joked before his first game this season he'd already won 2 for us. And he was right. Rd 2 he made it 3. Today will be 4.

It will be weird watching for all of us - but its also what really makes these game great.

Cats V Hawks Easter Monday - and me doing it from San Diego.... nothing better

GO Catters

Nervous for a few reasons

Dangerfield, Menegola, Simpson still missing from the engine room. Duncan back having played a half of a vfl practice match and no preseason. We still have players enough for this but nervous.

Forward line missing Rohan who is important structurally and Cameron, the linchpin of our 2021 improvement. Running one tall and a bunch of smalls. Nervous.

Defence has shown that we are very vulnerable to a fast entry and the new rules appear to be allowing this, which effectively bypasses our whole defensive system. We will need to find a way to defend through the midfield or even a a 22 year old kpf will get off the chain. Look at what a very, very inexperienced Sydney forward line did to Richmond's defensive system. Nervous.

We are playing in their grand final, with one of their heroes in the hoops. Do our players really care? Nervous.

All of this I fear will cost us valuable % in our win today. Cats, 14 points.

It’s been a round for full forwards. Can ours kick a big bag today.

I still worry we haven’t adapted to the recent changes and are too defensive.

Hawks looked pretty good against Richmond considering.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I paid $9 for a plastic cup of draught last time I went. Horrible stuff.
Can't remember the last time I actually bought alcohol at the MCG - always seems over priced and underwhelming
I’ll walk to long way to the ground.
It just happens to be the same way there’s a lot of bars
🍻

It’s been a round for full forwards. Can ours kick a big bag today.

I still worry we haven’t adapted to the recent changes and are too defensive.

Hawks looked pretty good against Richmond considering.
They did.
Am I correct in recalling that every team that played the Tiges last year lost the next match?
NO, I AM INCORRECT!!
So far this year, Carlton lost to the Pies.
If that trend is accurate, we should win.
But our outs are very concerning.
Danger is a huge spark that often ignites us, and he is underrated really, unbelievably.
Cameron was meant to be The Factor this year.
Anyway, we will test our depth today.
We seem to be only just going this year, and not sure it'll be enough.

Last edited:

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The only thing I’m worried about today is the lack of full strength beer at the MCG
Game starts before 6pm so should have Carlton Draught. Marvel has had it this weekend. Great Northern/4 Pines/Other CUB "craft" beers will be middys tho so I'd steer clear.

Can't go wrong with a CC either if the Carlton taps go down.

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone else received 5 or so texts from Ticketek with a link to download tickets? I got the message the first time...

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Game starts before 6pm so should have Carlton Draught. Marvel has had it this weekend. Great Northern/4 Pines/Other CUB "craft" beers will be middys tho so I'd steer clear.

Can't go wrong with a CC either if the Carlton taps go down.
They always have full strength for a day game, mids strength only for a night game. So there will be heavy sold today..
So what your telling me is I have absolutely nothing to worry about at the G today.
😎

They did.
Am I correct in recalling that every team that played the Tiges last year lost the next match?
So far this year, Carlton lost to the Pies.
If that trend is accurate, we should win.
But our outs are very concerning.
Danger is a huge spark that often ignites us, and he is underrated really, unbelievably.
Cameron was meant to be The Factor this year.
Anyway, we will test our depth today.
We seem to be only just going this year, and not sure it'll be enough.

When we played Richmond during the season last year, we then won our next match with a down to the wire win over Sydney

I’ll walk to long way to the ground.
It just happens to be the same way there’s a lot of bars
🍻

If I'm going to have a drink on match day, it's a similar idea to above - meet up with others at a suitable venue or choice, pay the same for drinks at said venue as they'd cost at the MCG but at least I get to choose something decent to drink and it's not in a plastic cup

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Confident of a strong win today. We will be up for this just as much as the Hawks.

Easter Monday, arch rivals and starring down the barrel of 1-2 if we don’t turn up. We will be up for this for these reasons and we will be too strong in the end.

Tuohy first goal, Guthrie BOG and Cats by 29

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
The Hawks in a close one,we haven't been able to pick a side to exploit their lack of height at both ends of the ground and to date we look to be just rolling and still a fair way off our best footy,no support for Hawkins is disapointing,no support for Stanley other than dragging Blits from FB like wise.

One on one footy is Geelongs best chance today force the Hawks to kick to a contest,(if that's even possible with the new rule) but if we just try guarding space and let them run and spread it's curtains.

Must be worried about the crowd today if they are sending me texts for tickets down here in Tassie........

Not sure if we even hit 50k today

Looking at the previous match he's this season, the largest crowd I've seen so far is the Round 2 Carlton vs Collingwood match which was just shy of 52k

For all the push by the AFL to increase crowd capacity in Vic, there just may not be the desire at this stage from the public

The Hawks in a close one,we haven't been able to pick a side to exploit their lack of height at both ends of the ground and to date we look to be just rolling and still a fair way off our best footy,no support for Hawkins is disapointing,no support for Stanley other than dragging Blits from FB like wise.

One on one footy is Geelongs best chance today force the Hawks to kick to a contest,(if that's even possible with the new rule) but if we just try guarding space and let them run and spread it's curtains.
If we play 1-1 in our d50 we're toast. They have 2 kpfs and a ruckman forward. They will win aerial contests without us having loose defenders. We really need to slow up entries and generate an outnumber

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not sure if we even hit 50k today

Looking at the previous match he's this season, the largest crowd I've seen so far is the Round 2 Carlton vs Collingwood match which was just shy of 52k

For all the push by the AFL to increase crowd capacity in Vic, there just may not be the desire at this stage from the public
Should've been moved to KP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back