Preview Geelong vs North Melbourne - Sun April 18 @4:40

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the match after the last match...and the one before the next 😜

Yesterday's result suck but now it's time to look ahead to Sunday and our clash with North

(more preview to come when I get home, unless someone else would like to try their hand at writing a preview for this match - if so, let us know and we can add your words of wisdom to the OP)

Acknowledgement and thanks to our guest preview writers for their efforts ahead of our clash against North this coming Sunday

frggr

After a predictable but still frustrating loss to the Dees owing to several key outs and other factors, this week we set our sights on a struggling North Melbourne outfit who fought valiantly against Adelaide before capitulating entirely in the fourth quarter.

But as in football, so in life - a wounded kangaroo can be a dangerous prospect and if we're not careful, we'll be on the wrong end of one of the wins they'll inevitably get this year.

With Dangerfield back, Cameron likely to debut and Parfitt likely to return, it'll be interesting to see which coach and team will respond better to their underwhelming round 4 performance.

If history is anything to go by, players perennially under selection pressure will receive a stay of execution while the selection committee offers up a few sacrificial lambs.

While I'd like to see a "Richmond at Marvel 2007" performance from the Cats, I just don't think it's in our DNA.

North will jump out of the box in the first half before Geelong will reel them in in the remaining game time.

It's the perfect match for the late Sunday timeslot - relaxing enough to help you get off to sleep early.

Cats by 7 goals in fairly ho hum fashion

Link to original post

Shadow89

My grandad always used to say 'it's all about the injuries, when it comes to winning the flag.' If there's one thing that I've noticed in recent years, and particularly this year, injuries and/or suspensions at certain points of the year can either make or break your season.

Heading into 2019, I remember Richmond sitting at 3-3 with half their list missing and the 'ol familiar stirrings of the media/commentators/oppo fans, stating 'they won't even make the 8, '17 was a flag in the pan and it's Collingwood or Geelong's flag to lose' - we all remember how that ended.

Flash forward to the current day, and my Grandad's little saying is ringing true once more. If you have a look at Melbourne, Bulldogs, Port and Sydney, they have the shortest injury lists in the AFL, when it comes to Best 22 players. There were no more than 3 max. going into this round, and for the Bulldogs and Sydney, there still aren't more than 3 at the end of this round. How very different things look now for a team like Port and their prospects, with two of their brightest talents in Butters and Duursma going down for a significant period of time, and the rest of the Port team resembling a casualty ward - with all their corks, ankle injuries and bumps and knocks. Beat the undermanned Tiges, but it came at a significant cost.

We as a team, however, have not been so lucky when it comes to not just injury and suspension woes, but where those injuries/suspensions have occurred; nearly all have been to forward line players or those who can cover in the forward line. This is who we would have planned to have available to play/pinch hit in our forward line during pre-season:

Cameron
Hawkins
Ratugolea
Rohan
Danger
Higgins
Evans
Dahlhaus
Miers

This is how many of them played there yesterday

Hawkins
Dahlhaus
Miers

Now it would be a bit much to say that Dahlhaus actually played yesterday, given that the pigeon in Round 3 that wouldn't get off the field during our game against the Hawks, has been a more effective contributor than he has this season. So basically, it was just Hawkins, Miers and a bunch of wingers, defenders and a back to the future Jack Henry, playing in the spot he played in during his juniors - not exactly a Premiership winning forward line I would say...maybe if the pigeon was playing, the result could have been very different...

Flash forward to this week, and suddenly, we have a forward line again (hallelujah!) Whether Cameron returns this week or next, and hopefully Sav in a few weeks down the track, we get back Danger who can rotate between forward and mid if need be, and we get back Rohan who can at least jump more than 2 feet in the air - I'm looking at you again Dahlhaus...maybe you too Miers...

While easy on paper, Geelong fans know all too well the saying that permeates throughout this board 'isn't this the sort of game we usually lose?' :tearsofjoy: Coming off a loss though, we generally rebound well, and up against the already solidified wooden spooner for this year, we'll be eager to silence the critics a bit and really put them to the sword. For mine, I think Cameron gets another week as we don't need him this week, and gets unleashed against our old mate TK and his Eagles, in front of 30,000 adoring Geelong fans.

For this week my predictions are Menegola starts to build and has 25+ and kicks two goals, Hawk kicks 5, Guthrie racks up 35+ and Smith and Menegola run Stephenson into the ground as his opponent. I see Goldy having his way with Stanley, but I see them being incapable of kicking a score even if they do win it out of the middle. Blics and Hendo to be resolute in defence against poor young Nick Larkey, and Stewart to have a field day chopping off all the ill-directed bombs from players like LDU who couldn't hit a target if his foot was lodged in the bullseye.

Likely changes

IN: Rohan, Danger, Parfitt, Pigeon
OUT: Narkle, Zuthrie, Close, Dahl (he won't go, but the pigeon really should have his spot - or at the very least, Close :))

Link to original post

Last edited:
Now is the time to rest Selwood, hendo and smith etc.. Those old blokes wont get it done in September (if we make it) on the MCG without resting during the year. Now is the time to bring in chook, kreuger, holmes et al..
paddy and rohan back will be enough to mitigate resting of players.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
The big man is starting our threads these days! We're #blessed

Screenshot_20210412-111104.png

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's a preview:

After a predictable but still frustrating loss to the Dees owing to several key outs and other factors, this week we set our sights on a struggling North Melbourne outfit who fought valiantly against Adelaide before capitulating entirely in the fourth quarter.

But as in football, so in life - a wounded kangaroo can be a dangerous prospect and if we're not careful, we'll be on the wrong end of one of the wins they'll inevitably get this year.

With Dangerfield back, Cameron likely to debut and Parfitt likely to return, it'll be interesting to see which coach and team will respond better to their underwhelming round 4 performance.

If history is anything to go by, players perennially under selection pressure will receive a stay of execution while the selection committee offers up a few sacrificial lambs.

While I'd like to see a "Richmond at Marvel 2007" performance from the Cats, I just don't think it's in our DNA.

North will jump out of the box in the first half before Geelong will reel them in in the remaining game time.

It's the perfect match for the late Sunday timeslot - relaxing enough to help you get off to sleep early.

Cats by 7 goals in fairly ho hum fashion

Last edited:
These will be the best team changes we might experience ever.

In: Dangerfield, Cameron, Rohan, Parfitt
Out: Narkle, Dahlhaus, Z.Guthrie and ???

I would give Atkins the arse but that may be unlikely. They will probably fire Close or even Clark before him.

frggr

May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong

I would give Atkins the arse but that may be unlikely. They will probably fire Close or even Clark before him.

He's equal third for Frees Against in the league:

Surely that's bad news on the HBF

Cattery

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong

I'll burn my membership ticket (if I had one that is) if Clarke gets the arse, besides it won't happen, who's going to play the forward pocked role if he gets dropped?
That was genius coaching yesterday I thought, playing one of our quickest players down there in the first quarter while Melbourne were running rings around us.

Sep 4, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Simon Prestigiacomo, Liverpool
Lol. Articles saying Geelong are in danger..
- No 2x AA, Coleman medalist star recruit Cameron first three rounds
- No 7x AA, Brownlow medalist Patrick Dangerfield first three rounds
- Geelong play Norf round 4

100+ point win. If Cameron doesn't return this week, he will the next. This game will give Geelong confidence and allow them to springboard from here on.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
North are going to beat someone eventually, we're playing terribly and we have history of putting up shithouse performances against perceived lowly sides. Should be an easy win but we'll probably make a close game of it.

Dahlhaus has to go, and Zuthrie dumped and delisted - pay him out now and get a pick in the midseason draft. Narkle 56% game time, if Constable put that up despite finding the ball 20 times he'd get slammed, so Narkle out too. Holmes should get a reprieve, it was disgusting to relegate him to the medical sub for Zuthrie to fail yet again, but with so many senior players returning this week he's going to find it tough. That move is going to s**t me for a while.

Now is the time to rest Selwood, hendo and smith etc.. Those old blokes wont get it done in September (if we make it) on the MCG without resting during the year. Now is the time to bring in chook, kreuger, holmes et al..
paddy and rohan back will be enough to mitigate resting of players.
Get them match fit before even considering that. North aren't great but we need the run

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
In : Fort Dangerfield Rohan Constable Cameron Parfitt Holmes

Out : Selwood, Touhy, Smith and Henderson rested

Menegola, Dalhaus and Z Guthrie dropped

Bews Blicavs Kolo
Stewart Henry Clark
Holmes O'Connor Duncan
Parfitt Cameron Close
Miers Hawkins Rohan
Fort Dangerfield C Guthrie
Narkle Stanley
Constable Atkins

smotherking

jumperpunch
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal
People losing faith in Smith and Selwood is fairly confusing. Smith kicked 2 with 21 disposals, Selwood with 30 disposals 8 tackles. Probably the two best players we had yesterday. Find it strange that people are questioning their ability to “get it done” when they’ve done it every week this year. Certainly hasn’t been their fault we’ve started so poorly and definitely rate their ability to get it done at the pointy end and history suggests that also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back