Preview Geelong vs North Melbourne - Sun April 18 @4:40

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we somehow slot some more defenders in the team?
Taylor is retired, so we're really just missing Okunbor before we can get them all into the 22. :roflv1: :roflv1: :roflv1:

Atkins is an honorary member these days now as well...

KAUNOfOy.jpg

It's the match after the last match...and the one before the next 😜

Yesterday's result suck but now it's time to look ahead to Sunday and our clash with North

(more preview to come when I get home, unless someone else would like to try their hand at writing a preview for this match - if so, let us know and we can add your words of wisdom to the OP)

I'll give this a whirl :) (mods let me know if you like it)

My grandad always used to say 'it's all about the injuries, when it comes to winning the flag.' If there's one thing that I've noticed in recent years, and particularly this year, injuries and/or suspensions at certain points of the year can either make or break your season.

Heading into 2019, I remember Richmond sitting at 3-3 with half their list missing and the 'ol familiar stirrings of the media/commentators/oppo fans, stating 'they won't even make the 8, '17 was a flag in the pan and it's Collingwood or Geelong's flag to lose' - we all remember how that ended.

Flash forward to the current day, and my Grandad's little saying is ringing true once more. If you have a look at Melbourne, Bulldogs, Port and Sydney, they have the shortest injury lists in the AFL, when it comes to Best 22 players. There were no more than 3 max. going into this round, and for the Bulldogs and Sydney, there still aren't more than 3 at the end of this round. How very different things look now for a team like Port and their prospects, with two of their brightest talents in Butters and Duursma going down for a significant period of time, and the rest of the Port team resembling a casualty ward - with all their corks, ankle injuries and bumps and knocks. Beat the undermanned Tiges, but it came at a significant cost.

We as a team, however, have not been so lucky when it comes to not just injury and suspension woes, but where those injuries/suspensions have occurred; nearly all have been to forward line players or those who can cover in the forward line. This is who we would have planned to have available to play/pinch hit in our forward line during pre-season:

Cameron
Hawkins
Ratugolea
Rohan
Danger
Higgins
Evans
Dahlhaus
Miers

This is how many of them played there yesterday

Hawkins
Dahlhaus
Miers

Now it would be a bit much to say that Dahlhaus actually played yesterday, given that the pigeon in Round 3 that wouldn't get off the field during our game against the Hawks, has been a more effective contributor than he has this season. So basically, it was just Hawkins, Miers and a bunch of wingers, defenders and a back to the future Jack Henry, playing in the spot he played in during his juniors - not exactly a Premiership winning forward line I would say...maybe if the pigeon was playing, the result could have been very different...

Flash forward to this week, and suddenly, we have a forward line again (hallelujah!) Whether Cameron returns this week or next, and hopefully Sav in a few weeks down the track, we get back Danger who can rotate between forward and mid if need be, and we get back Rohan who can at least jump more than 2 feet in the air - I'm looking at you again Dahlhaus...maybe you too Miers...

While easy on paper, Geelong fans know all too well the saying that permeates throughout this board 'isn't this the sort of game we usually lose?' :tearsofjoy: Coming off a loss though, we generally rebound well, and up against the already solidified wooden spooner for this year, we'll be eager to silence the critics a bit and really put them to the sword. For mine, I think Cameron gets another week as we don't need him this week, and gets unleashed against our old mate TK and his Eagles, in front of 30,000 adoring Geelong fans.

For this week my predictions are Menegola starts to build and has 25+ and kicks two goals, Hawk kicks 5, Guthrie racks up 35+ and Smith and Menegola run Stephenson into the ground as his opponent. I see Goldy having his way with Stanley, but I see them being incapable of kicking a score even if they do win it out of the middle. Blics and Hendo to be resolute in defence against poor young Nick Larkey, and Stewart to have a field day chopping off all the ill-directed bombs from players like LDU who couldn't hit a target if his foot was lodged in the bullseye.

Likely changes

IN: Rohan, Danger, Parfitt, Pigeon
OUT: Narkle, Zuthrie, Close, Dahl (he won't go, but the pigeon really should have his spot - or at the very least, Close :))

Here's a preview:

After a predictable but still frustrating loss to the Dees owing to several key outs and other factors, this week we set our sights on a struggling North Melbourne outfit who fought valiantly against Adelaide before capitulating entirely in the fourth quarter.

But as in football, so in life - a wounded kangaroo can be a dangerous prospect and if we're not careful, we'll be on the wrong end of one of the wins they'll inevitably get this year.

With Dangerfield back, Cameron likely to debut and Parfitt likely to return, it'll be interesting to see which coach and team will respond better to their underwhelming round 4 performance.

If history is anything to go by, players perennially under selection pressure will receive a stay of execution while the selection committee offers up a few sacrificial lambs.

While I'd like to see a "Richmond at Marvel 2007" performance from the Cats, I just don't think it's in our DNA.

North will jump out of the box in the first half before Geelong will reel them in in the remaining game time.

It's the perfect match for the late Sunday timeslot - relaxing enough to help you get off to sleep early.

Cats by 7 goals in fairly ho hum fashion
This is on the money. I'd actually prefer we were playing a West Coast/Port type team this weekend to test out our stronger team and get the season back on track. Against North we'll either be labelled 'flat track bullies' or it will be 'another underwhelming performance by Geelong'. Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

For the meat Pack

In: Parfitt Cameron Rohan Dangerfield

Out: Dalhaus Z. Guthrie Miers Touhy

B: Bews Blicavs Kolo

HB: Stewart Henderson Clark

C: Smith Dangerfield Menegola

HF: Parfitt Cameron Close

F: Rohan Hawkins Duncan

Foll: Stanley Selwood Guthrie

IC: Henry Narkle O'Connor Atkins

Med: Holmes

He was 'omitted' clearly in the team sheet. They've shown in the past that they're not averse to listing them as 'managed' when the need arises. The only positive out of the move is hopefully now the bigwigs in charge finally realise Zuthrie is not up to it and we can move on from him for good.

And as previously explained (on multiple occasions), listing him as omitted is all semantics & based on meeting the AFL requirements

When a player is listed as "managed" it essentially rules them out from playing at any level that weekend which would include the sub

That leaves the option of "omitted" which allows the player to still be able to play or now days be the medical sub in

The reality is that the AFL doesn't make it easy for clubs to be completely honest at the selection table, and I'm going to take a guess it would frustrate most clubs, and that it would be much more handy to list a player as managed/medical sub etc on the initial team selection list

Drop Menegola after one game back from injury?

He was horribly underdone yesterday, was slow, zero awareness and terrible disposal. Like the mistake they have made with Dalhaus, they should have let these guys get match fit in the seconds before playing them in the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if already posted - all the more reason to get to the game early

The Cats have advised fans to be seated by 4.00pm, 40 minutes before the first bounce, in order to be able to pay tribute to the premiership heroes.

GEELONG is on the cusp of welcoming back some high-profile names, with superstar Patrick Dangerfield to return from suspension ahead of next week's clash with North Melbourne and gun recruit Jeremy Cameron also on the verge of his Cats debut.

Cameron is yet to feature for his new side after enduring a hamstring setback on the eve of the season, though coach Chris Scott is confident he could line up against the Kangaroos at GMHBA Stadium next Sunday evening.

Fellow forward Gary Rohan will also return from suspension, with Geelong hoping its trio of key inclusions will help to overturn a frustrating start to the campaign that has left last year's Grand Finalists with an indifferent 2-2 record.

"I hope next week (for Cameron)," Scott said.

"But you might be surprised to hear, it's not really my call. I'll have a bit of a say on it, but you've got to be careful that you don't base your decision-making on what you want to be true.

"I said during the week that we'd make a cautious, well-considered decision with him and I still think we're in that frame of mind.

"If they're all fit, I don't see why we couldn't bring them all back together. Our preference is to have the same seven forwards every single week, but I think they're such good players that we'd squeeze them in."

Geelong is also confident that Brandan Parfitt will return next week, after he was a late withdrawal on Sunday due to a hip complaint, while Mark Blicavs should be fine after failing to finish the loss to Melbourne with a corked knee.

Dawned on me yesterday that I had forgotten about Sam Simpson.

Had a great run in the later half of last year. Where's he at now? Injured I'm guessing but I haven't been following things all that closely so far this year.

Dawned on me yesterday that I had forgotten about Sam Simpson.

Had a great run in the later half of last year. Where's he at now? Injured I'm guessing but I haven't been following things all that closely so far this year.
Just about got his shoulder right, then hurt his quad. Shouldn’t be far away but will probably need to build fitness.

Acknowledgement and thanks to our guest preview writers for their efforts ahead of our clash against North this coming Sunday

frggr

After a predictable but still frustrating loss to the Dees owing to several key outs and other factors, this week we set our sights on a struggling North Melbourne outfit who fought valiantly against Adelaide before capitulating entirely in the fourth quarter.

But as in football, so in life - a wounded kangaroo can be a dangerous prospect and if we're not careful, we'll be on the wrong end of one of the wins they'll inevitably get this year.

With Dangerfield back, Cameron likely to debut and Parfitt likely to return, it'll be interesting to see which coach and team will respond better to their underwhelming round 4 performance.

If history is anything to go by, players perennially under selection pressure will receive a stay of execution while the selection committee offers up a few sacrificial lambs.

While I'd like to see a "Richmond at Marvel 2007" performance from the Cats, I just don't think it's in our DNA.

North will jump out of the box in the first half before Geelong will reel them in in the remaining game time.

It's the perfect match for the late Sunday timeslot - relaxing enough to help you get off to sleep early.

Cats by 7 goals in fairly ho hum fashion

Link to original post

Shadow89

My grandad always used to say 'it's all about the injuries, when it comes to winning the flag.' If there's one thing that I've noticed in recent years, and particularly this year, injuries and/or suspensions at certain points of the year can either make or break your season.

Heading into 2019, I remember Richmond sitting at 3-3 with half their list missing and the 'ol familiar stirrings of the media/commentators/oppo fans, stating 'they won't even make the 8, '17 was a flag in the pan and it's Collingwood or Geelong's flag to lose' - we all remember how that ended.

Flash forward to the current day, and my Grandad's little saying is ringing true once more. If you have a look at Melbourne, Bulldogs, Port and Sydney, they have the shortest injury lists in the AFL, when it comes to Best 22 players. There were no more than 3 max. going into this round, and for the Bulldogs and Sydney, there still aren't more than 3 at the end of this round. How very different things look now for a team like Port and their prospects, with two of their brightest talents in Butters and Duursma going down for a significant period of time, and the rest of the Port team resembling a casualty ward - with all their corks, ankle injuries and bumps and knocks. Beat the undermanned Tiges, but it came at a significant cost.

We as a team, however, have not been so lucky when it comes to not just injury and suspension woes, but where those injuries/suspensions have occurred; nearly all have been to forward line players or those who can cover in the forward line. This is who we would have planned to have available to play/pinch hit in our forward line during pre-season:

Cameron
Hawkins
Ratugolea
Rohan
Danger
Higgins
Evans
Dahlhaus
Miers

This is how many of them played there yesterday

Hawkins
Dahlhaus
Miers

Now it would be a bit much to say that Dahlhaus actually played yesterday, given that the pigeon in Round 3 that wouldn't get off the field during our game against the Hawks, has been a more effective contributor than he has this season. So basically, it was just Hawkins, Miers and a bunch of wingers, defenders and a back to the future Jack Henry, playing in the spot he played in during his juniors - not exactly a Premiership winning forward line I would say...maybe if the pigeon was playing, the result could have been very different...

Flash forward to this week, and suddenly, we have a forward line again (hallelujah!) Whether Cameron returns this week or next, and hopefully Sav in a few weeks down the track, we get back Danger who can rotate between forward and mid if need be, and we get back Rohan who can at least jump more than 2 feet in the air - I'm looking at you again Dahlhaus...maybe you too Miers...

While easy on paper, Geelong fans know all too well the saying that permeates throughout this board 'isn't this the sort of game we usually lose?' :tearsofjoy: Coming off a loss though, we generally rebound well, and up against the already solidified wooden spooner for this year, we'll be eager to silence the critics a bit and really put them to the sword. For mine, I think Cameron gets another week as we don't need him this week, and gets unleashed against our old mate TK and his Eagles, in front of 30,000 adoring Geelong fans.

For this week my predictions are Menegola starts to build and has 25+ and kicks two goals, Hawk kicks 5, Guthrie racks up 35+ and Smith and Menegola run Stephenson into the ground as his opponent. I see Goldy having his way with Stanley, but I see them being incapable of kicking a score even if they do win it out of the middle. Blics and Hendo to be resolute in defence against poor young Nick Larkey, and Stewart to have a field day chopping off all the ill-directed bombs from players like LDU who couldn't hit a target if his foot was lodged in the bullseye.

Likely changes

IN: Rohan, Danger, Parfitt, Pigeon
OUT: Narkle, Zuthrie, Close, Dahl (he won't go, but the pigeon really should have his spot - or at the very least, Close :))

Link to original post

Love it, Shadow89 !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back