Preview Geelong vs North Melbourne - Sun April 18 @4:40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Can I ask why people think Kolodjashnij will be omitted for our next match? Numerous match reports, along with interviews with teammates list him amongst our best

I get that he's not necessarily everyone's favourite, but surely it's highly unlikely he's omitted after his efforts yesterday

Even the match review on our club website lists him in the best - thinking he's safe for at least another week or 2 or longer

BEST
Geelong: Selwood, Stewart, Kolodjashnij, Atkins, C.Guthrie

Well they're not going to say he was ordinary.

Because yet again his opponent gave him a bath.

Tom Macdonald was his opponent for most of the time he spent forward and he gave Kolo the run around. And to be honest I don't rate Tom Macdonald at all. When Macdonald went into the ruck he often picked up Petracca (sometimes Fritsch) and that didn't end well either.
I was at the game and watched him closely and his decision making on when to leave his opponent and attack, and when to defend was horrible. The amount of times he left his man to try and affect the contest and was either ineffectual or got caught in no man's land was astounding. Mind you he wasn't the only one.
There was one instance half way through the 1st quarter where he came up to ball on our half forward flank and had to get it out of bounds, even it was for a free against. He failed to do that, meandered back as his opponent Tom Macdonald sat out the back took a uncontested mark and setup Nathan Jones for a goal. It was so bad to see happen live.
Then there is his disposal and decision making particularly under pressure (that handball that nearly setup Spargo for the 1st goal of the match, and the horribly shanked kick that luckily fell in Miers hands under no pressure, WTF) and the way in which he kills momentum and drive out of the backline. It's an area we clearly need to get better at, and for me he has to be the first in the gun.

TomMac was also in the coaches votes, something I look to more than what some unnamed journo has said in an article for the AFL website.

He was a disciplined player who could play our zonal defence effectively but with the new rule changes prompting faster ball movement and thus more one on one defending, he is becoming more and more irrelevant.
The only reason I can see why he's getting games at the moment is Cameron and Savrat are out injured. It's forced us to re-jig the forward line at times with Henry or pull Blicavs from defence to ruck.

If one of Cameron or Savrat are right to go, put Henry back and get rid of Kolo.

Last edited:

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
t the game and watched him closely and his decision making on when to leave his opponent and attack, and when to defend was horrible. The amount of times he left his man to try and affect the contest and was either ineffectual or got caught in no man's land was astounding. Mind you he wasn't the only one.
There was one instance half way through the 1st quarter where he came up to ball on our half forward flank and had to get it out of bounds, even it was for a free against. He failed to do that, meandered back as his opponent Tom Macdonald sat out the back took a uncontested mark and setup Nathan Jones for a goal. It was so bad to see happen live.
Scarlo loves Kolo... one of the untouchables I reckon according to him.

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing
The bay has a "rainbow" react option for posts and I was a little overzealous applying it to mod posts, so they withdrew my "react" ability, sitewide 😇

They've since restored it because they are
fair and reasonable people 😉

Half your luck. I got under Forward Press skin several years ago, and what was supposedly a month ban from the main board is still in place nearly a decade later. Not that it’s actually been an issue, given the cesspool the main board has become in the years since that took place. Mods

Catsmaninamerica

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Cloud break
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Cricket, Surfing

Tom Macdonald was his opponent for most of the time he spent forward and he gave Kolo the run around. And to be honest I don't rate Tom Macdonald at all. When Macdonald went into the ruck he often picked up Petracca (sometimes Fritsch) and that didn't end well either.
I was at the game and watched him closely and his decision making on when to leave his opponent and attack, and when to defend was horrible. The amount of times he left his man to try and affect the contest and was either ineffectual or got caught in no man's land was astounding. Mind you he wasn't the only one.
Then there is his disposal and decision making particularly under pressure (that handball that nearly setup Spargo for the 1st goal of the match, and the horribly shanked kick that luckily fell in Miers hands under no pressure, WTF) and the way in which he kills momentum and drive out of the backline. It's an area we clearly need to get better at, and for me he has to be the first in the gun.

TomMac was also in the coaches votes, something I look to more than what some unnamed journo has said in an article for the AFL website.

He was a disciplined player who could play our zonal defence effectively but with the new rule changes prompting faster ball movement and thus more one on one defending, he is becoming more and more irrelevant.
The only reason I can see why he's getting games at the moment is Cameron and Savrat are out injured. It's forced us to re-jig the forward line at times with Henry or pull Blicavs from defence to ruck.

If one of Cameron or Savrat are right to go, put Henry back and get rid of Kolo.

This is an excellent post. Kolo has been routinely flogged week after week, going back to last year. He’s too small to be a key defender and isn’t agile or quick enough to play on a small. He can play on a degoey side, but even then is exposed for pace and reaction time. And that doesn’t bring his horrendous decision making into the equation. I personally think he’s a wingman/half forward. He gets exposed far too often these days as a defender.

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
With regards to resting Selwood this week:

After getting a decent whack for critiquing Selwood, do people not see what I'm seeing this season with him?
He's not dashing through packs like he used to. He's not taking overhead marks like he used to. He's taking 1-2 seconds too long to make decisions and is getting run down in critical spots - very out of character for him. He's turning the ball over. He seems to be slowing up in body and mind, but unlike Gary Jr, his footy IQ doesn't seem to be bridging the gap.
He's racking up disposals, but I wonder how effective his disposals are? I don't want to s**t on the guy who's been the foundation of the team for the last decade, but I just feel like I can see the writing on the wall at the moment, and wanted to know what everyone else's opinions were?
Am I totally wrong on this?

Gogeelong

Premiership Player
Apr 14, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

After getting a decent whack for critiquing Selwood, do people not see what I'm seeing this season with him?
He's not dashing through packs like he used to. He's not taking overhead marks like he used to. He's taking 1-2 seconds too long to make decisions and is getting run down in critical spots - very out of character for him. He's turning the ball over. He seems to be slowing up in body and mind, but unlike Gary Jr, his footy IQ doesn't seem to be bridging the gap.
He's racking up disposals, but I wonder how effective his disposals are? I don't want to sh*t on the guy who's been the foundation of the team for the last decade, but I just feel like I can see the writing on the wall at the moment, and wanted to know what everyone else's opinions were?
Champion of the club and I do not hope he goes one season too long.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

He's racking up disposals, but I wonder how effective his disposals are? I don't want to sh*t on the guy who's been the foundation of the team for the last decade, but I just feel like I can see the writing on the wall at the moment, and wanted to know what everyone else's opinions were?
I have looked at him the same way but people will kick you for saying it, lol

That's why he don't get games he is lazy just watch him
Yep I watched him refuse to tackle and chase numerous times Sunday.

This. Even when he marks the ball he's indecisive. He's a liability back there. Henry is a far better option.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

Nope. You're seeing exactly what a few others are. It's going to happen, and the signs have been there for a while now. Willed himself into it in third quarter, but got exploited frequently the other way outside of that, and as you said, he gets caught a lot now. He doesn't have Ablett's genius for understanding how to still be effective within his limitations either (to be fair, neither does anyone else).

Hopefully he can get through the season but there are no guarantees.

The problem at the moment is that there are too many passengers in this team - players out of form (e.g., Dalhaus, Miers, Kolo, Stanley) and/or players who don't warrant selection (e.g., Zuthrie, Constable) - but we don't have the depth to omit/cover the abovenamed IF we think we are in contention for top 8. If things don't click once Dangerfield, Rohan, Cameron, Parfitt et al return, then heaven help us.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Kolo had four intercept marks in the first quarter alone 🤡🤡 🤡

edit: and McDonald didn’t kick a single score, only two score involvements for the entire game!! He only had four disposals inside 50, I’m more than happy to see him get cheap kicks up the field.

Kolo was easily in our best 5 on the weekend, EASILY.

Half your luck. I got under Forward Press skin several years ago, and what was supposedly a month ban from the main board is still in place nearly a decade later. Not that it’s actually been an issue, given the cesspool the main board has become in the years since that took place. Mods

I can't even remember what the issue was, sorry.

Keeping in mind this is the Geelong board thread for your upcoming game, might be best to contact a current member of the mod team in private if you wish to restore main board access, I quit years ago. All the best.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The problem at the moment is that there are too many passengers in this team - players out of form (e.g., Dalhaus, Miers, Kolo, Stanley) and/or players who don't warrant selection (e.g., Zuthrie, Constable) - but we don't have the depth to omit/cover the abovenamed IF we think we are in contention for top 8. If things don't click once Dangerfield, Rohan, Cameron, Parfitt et al return, then heaven help us.

Constable wasn't playing Sunday. He has limitations but blaming him when he wasn't even playing is a bit much.

Constable wasn't playing Sunday. He has limitations but blaming him when he wasn't even playing is a bit much.
I know, but when he has played his limitations have impacted. I'm looking at all 4 games

Irrelevant I know, but was reading or hearing exactly the same opinions about Pendlebury.
Same vintage.
I suspect by rd 18--> finals, we will need hard, clever, big-bodied players like Selwood.
Early days this season.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Wonder if they will consider De Koning this week?

I think Esava needs to find strong form in the VFL, he is such a touch and confidence player. So there is a window to blood him for two weeks.

Cameron is unlikely.

Danger will be welcomed back and Gary Rohan is becoming a better player for every game he doesn’t play.

Team is coming back together, need a good month of no injuries to get some cohesion back.

Irrelevant I know, but was reading or hearing exactly the same opinions about Pendlebury.
Same vintage.
I suspect by rd 18--> finals, we will need hard, clever, big-bodied players like Selwood.
Early days this season.
Selwood has been the least of our worries in the first four rounds. Probably our best player across the games in fact.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I know, but when he has played his limitations have impacted. I'm looking at all 4 games

Interesting kind of impact though. This season he's played in 2 wins and 1 loss. The loss was against Adelaide, and he was on for the last ten minutes.

And as bad as his impact may have been against Brisbane or Hawthorn, we still won both games.

Zac Guthrie - 2 games, 2 losses. Should be dropped after Sunday, but it won't surprise anyone if he isn't.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Selwood has been great, ideally at this stage of his career he should not be forced into carrying the team. He has performed above expectations.

Dangerfield will ease the load on him. Ideally Duncan also goes back into a more central role and Smith as the receiver.

I think Smith was moved forward as experience and nous was lacking there (also why a struggling Dahlhaus was retained).

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Wonder if they will consider De Koning this week?

I think Esava needs to find strong form in the VFL, he is such a touch and confidence player. So there is a window to blood him for two weeks.

Cameron is unlikely.

Danger will be welcomed back and Gary Rohan is becoming a better player for every game he doesn’t play.

Team is coming back together, need a good month of no injuries to get some cohesion back.

Would be absolutely amazed if it was considered.

There's already going to be Dangerfield, Rohan, and maybe Cameron (not sure about Higgins) to return. That's a minimum of 3 certain changes. Can't see them bringing in a debutant. Then again it is only North so good chance to do it.

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Hartigan got off for that hit on Hawkins, yet Hawk got rubbed out of a PF for a lesser incident, in my view!

Kolo wasn't the worst on Sunday; he should have been dropped before this but will obviously play on Sunday. I prefer Jarvis to Rohan. We need to start building for the future and Rohan at 11 touches a game ' les in finals - is not the future. Won't happen though.

Danger and Parfitt will come in and I suppose Narkle or Close will be omitted, though both deserve another opportunity. Maybe they'll summon up the courage to drop Dalhouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back