Preview Geelong vs North Melbourne - Sun April 18 @4:40

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In The Mix

"Never has the return of Patrick Dangerfield been needed more than now. The gun midfielder joins Gary Rohan back from suspension, while Brandan Parfitt should be fit after missing the loss to Melbourne with a hip complaint. Jeremy Cameron is pushing to play but might be held back for one more game. Last week's unused substitute Max Holmes will be in the frame, while Charlie Constable was good at VFL level alongside Josh Jenkins (three goals) and Darcy Fort (one). Last week's inclusion Brad Close was more lively than fellow small forward Luke Dahlhaus, and while late inclusion Quinton Narkle was solid, he'll likely be the first to fall out. Should new-found tagger Mark O'Connor swing back into defence, then Zach Guthrie's spot will be on the line.

R4 medical sub: Max Holmes (unused)

Verdict: Dangerfield, Rohan and Parfitt for Narkle, Dahlhaus and Zach Guthrie. - Mitch Cleary"
I'd be happy to see the back of Dahlhaus, I loved when we got him from the Dogs and still had has back through last year but he is honestly just s**t now. Feels like he doesn't tackle or chase, he is slow and fumbles heaps too. Just a super unimpactful player now

In The Mix

"Never has the return of Patrick Dangerfield been needed more than now. The gun midfielder joins Gary Rohan back from suspension, while Brandan Parfitt should be fit after missing the loss to Melbourne with a hip complaint. Jeremy Cameron is pushing to play but might be held back for one more game. Last week's unused substitute Max Holmes will be in the frame, while Charlie Constable was good at VFL level alongside Josh Jenkins (three goals) and Darcy Fort (one). Last week's inclusion Brad Close was more lively than fellow small forward Luke Dahlhaus, and while late inclusion Quinton Narkle was solid, he'll likely be the first to fall out. Should new-found tagger Mark O'Connor swing back into defence, then Zach Guthrie's spot will be on the line.

Verdict: Dangerfield, Rohan and Parfitt for Narkle, Dahlhaus and Zach Guthrie. - Mitch Cleary"
Really hope Cameron is ready and plays but I won’t complain if it’s just another week and we get these changes.

Disposal count is simplistic, heh? Of course it is. Nonetheless all flag-winning teams have powerful mid-fields including good accumulators. Our great teams had several players capable of 30 + disposals - Bartel, Ling, Corey, Enright, Ablett, Chapman and others; so have all subsequent flag-winners. Nor is it so easy to get the ball that often - 30 or 40 without even trying: really?

I'm not denying Selwood is in decline, but his possessions are not easy ball gets; if anything the opposite is the case. He had numerous contested possessions on Sunday.

As for what players do off the ball, we'd actually need a focussed examination of that notion in practice before we can state baldly that X is great off the ball - whatever that may mean - in comparison with Y.

In The Mix

Hard to argue with those suggested changes

If Selwood plays like this the whole season he will have had a much better season than either of the last two by my reckoning so not sure what the fuss is about

Agreed he has played some very average games over the last few years but he still has the ability to step it up a level when it matters and he has been good in the absence of Danger.

We are playing Zuthrie, Dahl, Atkins etc FFS we don't have have to worry about Selwood at this point in time.

Another person who uses stats to try and justify their argument and can't even do that properly.

I went back and watched the 1st quarter, and he took 3 intercept marks. Not a big difference to your BS claim but still wrong nonetheless.
On 2 of those intercept marks he butchered the ball under no pressure. One luckily fell into the arms of Miers, the other hit Oliver on the chest.

I really couldn't give a rats about the stats, MacDonald (as I said I do not rate) played well enough to be in the coaches votes. As did Petracca who Kolo picked up at times, and Fritsch kicked 4 who Kolo also picked up at times.

I'll take what the coaches think over someone randomly throwing around stats (some of which are BS) to try and justify their weak argument.

Oh sorry, it was 3 intercept marks in one quarter not 4, you're right then, he really got his judgement wrong on when to leave his man or not. Lets not mention his 10 spoils for the game, because that's just another 'BS stat'.

You say you don't care about stats and then you say Fritsch murdered Kolo with four goals. You blame Kolo for Petracca's dominance even though he played mainly on ball. You hang Kolo for McDonald getting in the votes but only one coach voted for him (and only gave him one vote). You say you'll "take what the coaches think" - would it surprise you to hear CS told Kolo to let McDonald **** up the ground so long as he has no impact forward?

What else is Kolo responsible for? Global warming? Covid-19? Cats the movie starring James Corden, Taylor Swift and Rebel Wilson?

Been uninspired with Isaac Smith to date. Both of my Hawk following friends said he’s very overrated by foot (I laughed just thought they were salty)....but after 4 rounds, apart from a few clutch goals his kicking efficiency has been as low as anyone in the afl this year. Nice long kick, that’s it. Needs to be better.

Dahl is done and dusted. Effort still there but is too slow to play at the top level now with no tricks.

Oh sorry, it was 3 intercept marks in one quarter not 4, you're right then, he really got his judgement wrong on when to leave his man or not. Lets not mention his 10 spoils for the game, because that's just another 'BS stat'.

You say you don't care about stats and then you say Fritsch murdered Kolo with four goals. You blame Kolo for Petracca's dominance even though he played mainly on ball. You hang Kolo for McDonald getting in the votes but only one coach voted for him (and only gave him one vote). You say you'll "take what the coaches think" - would it surprise you to hear CS told Kolo to let McDonald **** up the ground so long as he has no impact forward?

What else is Kolo responsible for? Global warming? Covid-19? Cats the movie starring James Corden, Taylor Swift and Rebel Wilson?

Covid 19? Global warming? WTF are you on about.
You were caught out lying to justify your flimsy point and have now reverted to some weak strawman argument to try and save face.

I'm not going to debate this with you anymore as I don't play chess with pigeons.

Mate if Kolo had a hand in cats the movie he should be extradited for war crimes

Disposal count is so simplistic. If you get the ball 30 times in a game, you might have it for a total of 60secs. What Parfitt does off the ball is much more valuable then having 30 Tom Mitchell-esque nothing disposals. Anyone can **** around and have 30-40.

Says the person who tries to use basic stats to justify his arguments.
Unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making my way to the game on Sunday. Please don't make it too unpleasant of an experience.
It could be closer than people think. We are clearly very unsettled with at least another 4 possible changes, albeit good ones for us. And we are playing poorly, and predictably. Given also that we will be hunted, just wait and see.

Reading this board is a constant reminder of the stupidity of mankind.
People calling for Clark and close to be dropped. People calling for Rohan to come straight back in. Clark and close both showed more than Rohan has shown in months. Literally. and those calling for Narkle to go out. He had 17 touches and a bunch of those contested after playing a half of footy the day before. And not sure many understand how significant that is - he’s played, pulled up, would have aches, soreness and would usually be rehydrating and recovering the day after. Not playing a whole AFL game. Huge effort from him.

For mine, I hope they drop Stanley floor Fort, Zuthrie (is a VFL player only) for Parfitt, Cameron for Kolo (Henry to go back) Danger for Dahlhaus (Dahl is finished)
Agree with a lot. Not all.

Stanley is in poor form. Poor enough for the MC to have the balls to drop him? Doubt it. He has sketchy competition and it will keep him in, and we will continue to be one of the weakest in the ruck. Maybe the links to Sean Darcy will be our way out of this decade long search for ruck competency.

Clark imo suffers from being overhyped on this board, this place has developed a penchant for fapping over youth because we're an old side and many see a desperate need to play young players. Clark has been decent so far. Not worth much in the way of praise or scorn. Close is one I'd love a larger sample size before judging, doesn't look like impacting the scoreboard much atm but is raw with games. With Evans out keep Close in imo. Would play Clark on the wing.

Narkle gets a pass from me for Sunday. IMO didn't have a lot of impact but was in the side having played a half the day before so was somewhat expected and gets a pass for the low game time. Play him again this weekend and see what he's got to offer unimpeded.

Dahlhaus the world's easiest omit decision, yet would be betting they won't pull the trigger on that either.

Don't agree on Kolo at all.
Dahlhaus, Guthrie for Parfitt and Dangerfield. Don't reckon they put Cameron in. Eagles his debut.

We have a huge space to improve in that last 10% of effort, guys going through the motions at the contested ball, not going the extra effort to lay a tackle. Reminded me a lot of our loss to Carlton last year. Physically we just gave the game away, made tactics and personnel irrelevant.

On the plus side, it can be fixed with a some mid week analysis and having a couple of players dropped.

That cyclone in WA has caused some damage. What the hell let's blame Kolodjashnij for that too. About as rational as half the crap in here.

I don’t love Kolo, but he played very well last week. When someone plays in the backline, it is always easy to lay the blame on your favourite whipping boy when a goal is conceded.

For example, I am no Atkins fan and I reckon he is responsible for about half the opposition goals each week at the moment. Probably irrational too.

Kolo is fine until we find a young defender to replace him. He is marking well this year.

Been uninspired with Isaac Smith to date. Both of my Hawk following friends said he’s very overrated by foot (I laughed just thought they were salty)....but after 4 rounds, apart from a few clutch goals his kicking efficiency has been as low as anyone in the afl this year. Nice long kick, that’s it. Needs to be better.
It’s nowhere near it actually. He’s going at 61% which is pretty average.

For example, I am no Atkins fan and I reckon he is responsible for about half the opposition goals each week at the moment. Probably irrational too.
No this is evidence of fine judgement.

I don’t love Kolo, but he played very well last week. When someone plays in the backline, it is always easy to lay the blame on your favourite whipping boy when a goal is conceded.

Kolo is fine until we find a young defender to replace him. He is marking well this year.
The next young defenders we find likely will be replacing Henderson and Blicavs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back