Preview Geelong vs North, Wed Aug 5 @ GABBA, 5:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadly we have to win this... 5-5 will put us in a bit lf trouble. Need to win the next two games and go 7-4. Need to stay within striking distance of the top four sides. Let this game slip and its going to be very hard to make any serious inroads from that position

With respect , and I love the effort he gives , that's hardly a glowing endorsement - there's a few ineffective disposals in that short highlight package.

Im not overly a big fan of him to be frank. In terms of our position at the moment his not really the type of player that is going to be the sort of investment for a future midfield role.

He strikes me as a shannon byrnes style midfielder who is a great complementary depth player to have if your a top four team, but if your looking to redevelop and build a midfield i wouldnt be focusing too much on someone like simpson at the expense of more talented prospects.

If we finish top four and compete this year i can see his spot justified as he competes well and puts in effort, but if we slip off a bit or look at rebuilding a bit more next season i probably would rather see players like cooper stephens fogarty cockatoo taheney get a go ahead of him.

With respect , and I love the effort he gives , that's hardly a glowing endorsement - there's a few ineffective disposals in that short highlight package.

Gee, we mark the young ones hard.

I saw one less than perfect handball under extreme pressure. Perhaps he would have been better to hang onto it and get caught.

The kick to Rohan was hardly a bad kick. He could have marked it.

Of course our senior players are always perfect in their disposal!

I saw one less than perfect handball under extreme pressure. Perhaps he would have been better to hang onto it and get caught.

Our worst kick is our best player, Dangerfield.

What about Esava than? Surely if you're talking about others performance he has to be another one.

esava got flogged in the Ruck. No doubt. He got smashed playing against the best ruckman in the league. But ya still competes, gets to good spots and either marks it or brings it to ground. They play through him often and he is structurally vital. Anyone calling for his head doesn’t actually understand how footy is played. He plays his role exceptionally well. Is he a star yet? No. It he’s the only chf we currently have on the list, and he won’t be dropped.

esava got flogged in the Ruck. No doubt. He got smashed playing against the best ruckman in the league. But ya still competes, gets to good spots and either marks it or brings it to ground. They play through him often and he is structurally vital. Anyone calling for his head doesn’t actually understand how footy is played. He plays his role exceptionally well. Is he a star yet? No. It he’s the only chf we currently have on the list, and he won’t be dropped.
With all due respect, anybody playing a tall position that fly for the mark can play that role in bringing the footy to the ground....
His basic kicking skill errors last week cost the team 3 goals.....
He has got potential, no doubt
You do have to give him games but if you have players waiting for a game eg Kreuger, wants to know what does he have to do to get a game if you keep stuffing up in the basic skill errors.
If Fort or Stanley were fit ill be wanting Sav to be dropped and bring in Kreuger

*Fogarty isn’t up to it at present. Was completely lost and invisible on Saturday night.
*Rohan is a fraud. 3 possessions, can’t hold a mark. It’s great that he tackles, butt hat should be a non negotiable for all 22.
*people automatically calling for Henderson to be dropped are laughable - he was one of our best on Saturday. Kolo on the other hand was putrid.
*miers has been flat for weeks
*Constable will Miss with concussion I suspect.
So -

out, fogarty, Rohan, kolo, Miers, constable

In, cockatoo, Krueger, schlensong, STEVEN, Selwood
Not Steven please. If you saw the highlights reel of Zuthrie on the website you could see Steven looked like a rabbit in headlights when confronted by an opposition player and his reaction was a handpass that the longest arms in footy would not have got a finger on. He is so far off the pace right now it's not funny. I sincerely hope he gets there but he has to earn it.

Need to back up the effort against West Coast. Might be feeling a bit flat after giving their all - as stated in another match thread, anything can happen. Hoping for a good win but not with a lot of confidence in this buggered up season :huh:

Not looking for an argument and I do genuinely appreciate his effort and wish him well but I can’t see at this stage his standout attributes.
He does put his head over it and go hard but I don’t see breakaway pace , strength or a damaging kick for instance.
He’s very young and it may come in time but I’d be more confident if he was his old mans height and build.

Not looking for an argument and I do genuinely appreciate his effort and wish him well but I can’t see at this stage his standout attributes.
He does put his head over it and go hard but I don’t see breakaway pace , strength or a damaging kick for instance.
He’s very young and it may come in time but I’d be more confident if he was his old mans height and build.

No worries. We will see. I hope they give him some more opportunities this year, because he's out of contract at the end of the season.

If they do, the ball's in his court, so to speak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Need to back up the effort against West Coast. Might be feeling a bit flat after giving their all - as stated in another match thread, anything can happen. Hoping for a good win but not with a lot of confidence in this buggered up season :huh:

The thing is though, the way this Geelong team play, they could lose this week but you know they win the week after (against Port is it?).
They did this last year. W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W-L-W

Im not overly a big fan of him to be frank. In terms of our position at the moment his not really the type of player that is going to be the sort of investment for a future midfield role.

He strikes me as a shannon byrnes style midfielder who is a great complementary depth player to have if your a top four team, but if your looking to redevelop and build a midfield i wouldnt be focusing too much on someone like simpson at the expense of more talented prospects.

If we finish top four and compete this year i can see his spot justified as he competes well and puts in effort, but if we slip off a bit or look at rebuilding a bit more next season i probably would rather see players like cooper stephens fogarty cockatoo taheney get a go ahead of him.

Fair enough, but Byrnes was a lightning fast, left-footed, goalkicking half-forward flanker, so the comparison is a bit of a stretch to me.

Fair enough, but Byrnes was a lightning fast, left-footed, goalkicking half-forward flanker, so the comparison is a bit of a stretch to me.

Not comparing in terms of playing style but more so that good depth player compared to your starting best A grade player.. I don't necessarily see him becoming that player. Love being argued to persuade me otherwise thought as i dont necessarily have stubborn inflexible viewpoints on a player that is negative... By all means if you think he can become that star A grade midfielder in the future then explain it to me, because i just see him that solid workhorse mid who is great depth and off the bench rotating To complement a star team much like byrnes did or a david johnson

Not comparing in terms of playing style but more so that good depth player compared to your starting best A grade player.. I don't necessarily see him becoming that player. Love being argued to persuade me otherwise thought as i dont necessarily have stubborn inflexible viewpoints on a player that is negative... By all means if you think he can become that star A grade midfielder in the future then explain it to me, because i just see him that solid workhorse mid who is great depth and off the bench rotating To complement a star team much like byrnes did or a david johnson

I can't see him being an A-grade player but then again I think Guthrie is only now approaching A-grade status at the age of 27.

I think he can be a good to very good player, but consistency is the key. He had one very good game (or three quarters) and the past couple of games have been just OK. He needs to find another level to even stay on the list.

I'm as unsure as anyone but I admire guys who have to fight and scrap to make it. Don't forget where Sam Mitchell and Max Rooke came from.

He doesn't need me fighting for him, though. It's up to him.

I can't see him being an A-grade player but then again I think Guthrie is only now approaching A-grade status at the age of 27.

I think he can be a good to very good player, but consistency is the key. He had one very good game (or three quarters) and the past couple of games have been just OK. He needs to find another level to even stay on the list.

I'm as unsure as anyone but I admire guys who have to fight and scrap to make it. Don't forget where Sam Mitchell and Max Rooke came from.

He doesn't need me fighting for him, though. It's up to him.

He has a real go at it and works hard. Some good qualities

*Fogarty isn’t up to it at present. Was completely lost and invisible on Saturday night.
*Rohan is a fraud. 3 possessions, can’t hold a mark. It’s great that he tackles, butt hat should be a non negotiable for all 22.
*people automatically calling for Henderson to be dropped are laughable - he was one of our best on Saturday. Kolo on the other hand was putrid.
*miers has been flat for weeks
*Constable will Miss with concussion I suspect.
So -

out, fogarty, Rohan, kolo, Miers, constable

In, cockatoo, Krueger, schlensong, STEVEN, Selwood
Meirs has been flat but I thought was pretty good on Saturday - hit some nice passes and kicked an important out the back goal. One of our fitter players I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes again on Wednesday.

Like the look of Schlensong but suspect needs more development - next year, yes - ‘break glass’ this year (but really who knows in this crazy year).

Last edited:
Suspect that the MC will look closely at weather forecast for Wednesday. I presume that Narkle and Nakia will be held over and kept back for StKilda - a pretty quick team. Might rest Rohan for same reason.

Selwood for Constable
Zuthrie for Kolo
Kreuger* or Jarvis for Rohan
Stevens for Fog
If fit Atkins for Close

* Kreuger better option - Sav can spend more time on bench when not in the ruck.

Smokey - Smokey Frankie for Meirs (but unlikely Meirs omitted - he finally hit some form and I think would be reluctant for another debutant on top of Kreuger/Jarvis)

Last edited:
Even the scratchiest of wins here and we are on track, as disappointing as the second half crumble was against West Coast. We're a middle of the road team with injuries and clearly ran out of legs in the previous game - what hurt were the diabolical mistakes on top of that. Need to get over the line here and then we have a huge couple of weeks against St Kilda/Port to get a good feel for whether we're a finals level outfit this season. I think we are, but it's a season defining little stretch.

Paddy also smiles and laughs after a loss so it's hard to take him seriously if he himself isn't.
Never understood this mentality?

Are you suggesting because he does not pantomime a frowny face after a loss that he hasn't put in a serious effort or that he knows nothing about football?

Either way, it seems like a judgement that has absolutely bugger all to do with his football acumen or dedication, and the implication is that you can be fooled very easily if he just turns that grin upside din.

You can roll your eyes all you want but our culture sucks at the minute. For one we have a VC who is too afraid to give his teammates a prep talk before the game and another who doesn't seemed too concerned after a loss.

I could go on but some think the club and it's players are perfect.
I think that is just a case of you not being up to speed with what types of leadership styles there are. There are leaders who take the ups with the downs, there are leaders who demonstrate rather than remonstrate, and then there are the John Kennedy's, who are mostly out of vogue and are in their 80's anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back