Preview Geelong vs North, Wed Aug 5 @ GABBA, 5:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dangerfield is performing a little better than Bont and Cripps who are his most obvious contemporaries. Martin is currently ahead of these guys because of his brilliant finals performances and ball use is next level.

Weirdly, Carlton and Dogs fans are not absolutely slaying these guys. Maybe they understand it is quite hard to consistently dominate in a professional league when a lot of time is focused on stopping you.

Dangerfield is performing a little better than Bont and Cripps who are his most obvious contemporaries. Martin is currently ahead of these guys because of his brilliant finals performances and ball use is next level.

Weirdly, Carlton and Dogs fans are not absolutely slaying these guys. Maybe they understand it is quite hard to consistently dominate in a professional league when a lot of time is focused on stopping you.
Football nuffies will do this. Danger is a victim of his own success and people come to expect 35 touches, 3 goals and 10 clearances every game because he is capable of it, and if he doesn't perform he is lazy or whatever.

It’s time to whip out the utensil! Get him in. It’s now or never. 🍆

I tend to agree , we can't rehab him forever.
In fairness to him and the Club he needs to play soon and be given a chance to play a few in a row assuming he goes OK.
Bennel , O'Meira and Linc seem more durable now - it's about time we had some good fortune and get to see Nakia in the hoops regularly.

Lots of people on here getting a bit over excited about Cockatoo I think, absence has certainly made the heart and reputation grow fonder than it should have. When he last played, he had *some* x-factor, but was also very raw, a bit too ‘look at me, look at me - oh s**t that’s me holding the ball’, and a little low on recognising the best option (just like all inexperienced players). If people think he’s going to come in and be some sort of messiah they are being pretty unfair. A good young player, but not one of the best young players in the past few years, and many here setting him up for failure against an unrealistic expectation. Not pinging something and getting his hands on the pill a few times would be a pass mark from me.

I tend to agree , we can't rehab him forever.
In fairness to him and the Club he needs to play soon and be given a chance to play a few in a row assuming he goes OK.
Bennel , O'Meira and Linc seem more durable now - it's about time we had some good fortune and get to see Nakia in the hoops regularly.

The prospects of seeing Nakia in the seniors any time soon seem quite low, based on the latest update from the club.

Quinton Narkle is unlikely to recover from a hamstring problem to return for Wednesday's clash, but is in the frame to meet St Kilda next Monday night, while fellow promising youngster Nakia Cockatoo remains "four or five" games away from proving his fitness.

Lots of people on here getting a bit over excited about Cockatoo I think, absence has certainly made the heart and reputation grow fonder than it should have. When he last played, he had *some* x-factor, but was also very raw, a bit too ‘look at me, look at me - oh sh*t that’s me holding the ball’, and a little low on recognising the best option (just like all inexperienced players). If people think he’s going to come in and be some sort of messiah they are being pretty unfair. A good young player, but not one of the best young players in the past few years, and many here setting him up for failure against an unrealistic expectation. Not pinging something and getting his hands on the pill a few times would be a pass mark from me.
Four or five games away, Scott said in the presser today. Think they are keeping him as a finals wildcard, and fair enough.

A guy with his soft tissue history doesn't need to be played during the heaviest period of the season. We have other options.

The prospects of seeing Nakia in the seniors any time soon seem quite low, based on the latest update from the club.

That's incredibly disappointing :(
IIRC the last we heard is he got through a full scratch match and pulled up OK ??

Does this from Scott indicate he actually does rate the ruck position more than he is given credit for at times

"The ruck decision seems to be pretty crucial most weeks," Scott said.

"I think it's likely that Stanley will play, which will be really good for us. We have confidence that we've got a bit of depth there, but once we moved past Darcy Fort and Stanley … we are tending to play guys who we think play in the ruck as their secondary position.

"It will be nice to have a genuine No.1 guy back."

Lol. 4-5 games away? He will ping a hammy in that time. Nothing more certain.

Which would mean he needs to be off the list for 2021, anyway.

If he can't get through repeat weeks of training/scratch matches, he can't/won't get through games at AFL level. As we have seen with him before.

So holding him back as long as possible to give him one last shot at making it with the GFC (in the midst of this absolute farce of a season) is totally fine with me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's incredibly disappointing :(
IIRC the last we heard is he got through a full scratch match and pulled up OK ??
If you read between the lines in the scratch match write ups his form hasn’t been great. Obviously Obree is never negative about anyone but when someone actually performs you can tell in the way he lauds them. Cocky always has something to “work on” or “build up to” in his summary. Never “class above”. Even in the highlights he looks sluggish. He is either miles out by himself or when he is in traffic he looks slow and is inviting tackles to give some miracle handball.

You could tell they were happy with Simpson and Kennely early doors. Lately they have been wrapping up Evans, ZGuthrie and Parsons.

Last edited:
For the tray of meats:

In: Selwood, Steven, Stanley, Atkins
Out: Simpson, Miers, Taylor, Constable
Pretty close I reckon. Ins look exactly right.

I hate the thought of having like Miers and Ablett out given they are goal kickers. Fogs, Atkins& Close are your HHFmids creating Pressure.

A tall defender has to go out if Stanley plays. Maybe Hendo as Larkey is more suited to Blitz. Taylor can then get whoever plays out of Daw/Brown

"Geelong has been impressed by the development of uncapped youngsters like Nathan Kreuger, Cooper Stephens, Ben Jarvis and Francis Evans. However, they appear unlikely to make their AFL debuts in this condensed fixture block."

That's not promising :(

No confidence in Cockatoo at all unfortunately. 4-5 games away still is a terrible indication of how he is travelling.
They are not just going to save a guy like him for finals. He hasn’t played in years, injury prone and seemingly unfit still.
They are just being ultra conservative and want him to be match fit before he gets a call up. Whats the point of sending him in, fatigue sets in early and his hamstring pops?

Geez some of you people need to settle down a bit. He isn’t going to be rushed.

He has only played one full 4 quarter scratch match so far ffs. The wa government restrictions have not helped us get players match fit. Good to be out of that state of nazi restrictions.

They are just being ultra conservative and want him to be match fit before he gets a call up. Whats the point of sending him in, fatigue sets in early and his hamstring pops?

Geez some of you people need to settle down a bit. He isn’t going to be rushed.

He has only played one full 4 quarter scratch match so far ffs. The wa government restrictions have not helped us get players match fit. Good to be out of that state of nazi restrictions.

I pray you’re right and I end up looking like a negative Nancy.
I just don’t think he is anywhere near it and will continue having setbacks. He is unreliable and it’s too risky playing a guy like that in finals.

Not Steven please. If you saw the highlights reel of Zuthrie on the website you could see Steven looked like a rabbit in headlights when confronted by an opposition player and his reaction was a handpass that the longest arms in footy would not have got a finger on. He is so far off the pace right now it's not funny. I sincerely hope he gets there but he has to earn it.
So Zuthrie will come in ahead of Steven?

So holding him back as long as possible to give him one last shot at making it with the GFC (in the midst of this absolute farce of a season) is totally fine with me.

Kids glove approach will be good for his next club. See also Lincoln McCarthy.

He hasn't played since April 2018.

If he is anywhere close to being right then they just have to give him a go. I mean they are doing that with Steven anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back