Preview Geelong vs North, Wed Aug 5 @ GABBA, 5:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this from Scott indicate he actually does rate the ruck position more than he is given credit for at times

Perhaps. Although selection decisions towards the end of 2019 (and again in the finals) would seem to indicate that he's a very late adopter of this enlightened perspective.

People here can continue to talk all they like (and they will) about Toma's whack to Schofield in the SF costing us our shot at the flag last year. I would instead suggest that not playing Rhys against Grundy in the QF was a more pivotal (and costly) moment.

Hawkins doesn't even play that week if we structure up right against the Pies and win that game. Which we almost did with one hand tied behind our backs.

So the prospect of not making the same monumental error in any finals we might play this year does certainly appeal.

Last edited:

In : Selwood Stanley Steven Atkins
Out : Taylor Kolo Constable Fogarty

O'Connor Blicavs Henderson
Bews Henry Stewart
Duncan Menegola Selwood
Miers Ratagolea Touhy
Rohan Hawkins Close
Stanley Dangerfield Parfitt
Steven Atkins
Simpson Guthrie

If I were selecting
Out Constable (inj), Simpson, Kolo, Fogarty, Rohan(managed),
In Selwood, Cockatoo, Steven, Narkle, Kreuger

I think what will happen is
Out CC, Simpson, Fogarty Rohan
In Selwood Narkle Steven, Jenkins

For the meat tray
Selwood,Atkins,Stanley for Constable,Fogarty,Henderson.

Steven on the sidelines unless someone needs a rest.

So cockatoo is 5 games away. Given there probaby wont be 5 more practise games by the end of the season does this mean cockys season is done?

krueger wont play in the next two weeks.

kolo not dropped but instead either taylor will be rested or hendo (in most peoples bests against the eagles) will be dropped so blicavs can go back.

just devastating news from the club.

oh an atkins walks straight back into the team despite being out for a month and his form being ridiculously poor before that.

I would have thought that Queensland would be the perfect time to get Cocky back in due to the climate, its done wonders for Linc McCarthy.

Not sure why the AFL stuffed up reporting the coaches presser and people on here have run with it but it is not what the coach said. The coach said he will be playing in the next batch of games which are 4 or 5. Not he won't play for at least 4 or 5 more games. Completely different comment. Based on what he said utensil could play in the next few games so everyone should calm down a little!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess for the ins and outs is pretty straightforward, given Scott's comments.

OUT: Constable, Simpson, Henderson, Fog
IN: Stanley, Sel, Steven, Atkins

Taylor could be rested, given Hendo's good form, but I think we'll play a straight bat.

Think we'll give debuts to Kreuger, Jarvis, Evans and Stephens against lower ranked teams like Adelaide, Sydney, Essendon etc. in the coming weeks. Also think that's when they'll unleash Cocky too

My guess for the ins and outs is pretty straightforward, given Scott's comments.

OUT: Constable, Simpson, Henderson, Fog
IN: Stanley, Sel, Steven, Atkins

Taylor could be rested, given Hendo's good form, but I think we'll play a straight bat.

Think we'll give debuts to Kreuger, Jarvis, Evans and Stephens against lower ranked teams like Adelaide, Sydney, Essendon etc. in the coming weeks. Also think that's when they'll unleash Cocky too
Playing a straight bat is dropping the worst performing players and keeping the players doing well. Dropping hendo is not playing a straight bat when players like kolo are in deplorable form. Its picking favourites.

Playing a straight bat is dropping the worst performing players and keeping the players doing well. Dropping hendo is not playing a straight bat when players like kolo are in deplorable form. Its picking favourites.

Completely agree, and would be dropping Kolo ahead of Hendo based on recent form. With that said though, I can't see us dropping him on his hundreth game. We're just not that sort of club

In: Selwood, Stanley, Krueger, Parsons
Out: Constable, Ratagolea (managed), Fogarty, Kolo (managed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is anywhere close to being right then they just have to give him a go. I mean they are doing that with Steven anyway.

If he is anywhere close to being right, I believe they should wait until he is right. No point destroying whatever chance he has of coming back fit for the sake of a few games in this crazy season.

Steven is a different case altogether. Has not had chronic injury issues, and is clearly being managed in and out of the team based on nothing more than a fundamental lack of match fitness and touch. Whereas Nakia is being nursed back because the probability of him breaking down without proper preparation is seen to be gargantuan.

I see it as two justifiably different approaches for two entirely different situations.

Incredible that Atkins is going to come straight back in, literally everyone who has come in since he got injured has played better in that position.

Fog even played Atkins’ five possession game last week a little better than Atkins himself.

I really don’t get it with this guy.

They love his defensive pressure and with Dahl out they need it or at least think they do.

Bews Henry Stewart
Duncan Menegola Selwood
Miers Ratagolea Touhy
Rohan Hawkins Close
Steven Atkins
Simpson Guthrie

I like this.

A good read on Tuohy who's enjoying his shift out of defence & up the ground - from yesterday

“I’m loving it, I have been a career backman so it has been refreshing and it gives you a bit of a new lease on life and you feel a bit of a new player,” he said.

“I’m sure I will end up down back at some stage but for now I must admit, I have really enjoyed it.

“It’s given me a new perspective on the game and I can use a lot of the defensive attributes to work back off the ball and help the defence that way given it’s a natural part of my game.

“It’s been incredibly refreshing for me after spending so many years down back.”...

But Tuohy, 30, wont be among those putting his hand up to take a game off.

“At this stage I’m supremely confident I will be fit to play them all,” he said.

“It might be the case that blokes need resting that aren’t necessarily injured but it might just be the right decision so I expect that will happen quite a bit around the competition.

“But me personally, I am not anticipating missing any games.”

And then this today - maybe just BS from Tom with him trying to find something to say

Bews Henry Stewart
Duncan Menegola Selwood
Miers Ratagolea Touhy
Rohan Hawkins Close
Steven Atkins
Simpson Guthrie
Thanks for not listing Tuohy as a defender - he's clearly moved out of defence over recent weeks, playing a more attacking role and it's likely to continue for the time being

And the teams looks to have a good balance - would be good to see something like that named tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back