Preview Geelong vs Port, 14 August at 7:50pm, Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With barely enough time to digest our second comprehensive 4 quarter effort, we move on to the next challenge - the ladder leading Port Adelaide, Friday night on the Gold Coast

Port have looked pretty good sitting in top of the ladder across the season, a win ahead of the second place Lions and a nice buffer of 142% or 12% better than the next best effort which happens to be us on 130%. They'll likely start as favorites, having a couple of extra days rest after their victory Saturday afternoon - of note though is that there 2 losses have been against the Lions & Saints, teams that we have comfortable beaten

Fogarty, Simpson & Zuthrie all rested for last nights match - so will our rotations and managing of players continue, because after a win such as last nights it's hard to find someone to miss

And the other question, Scott hinted at it during his press conference on Sunday, but will we see the return of the enigma, Cockatoo

Port get easy draw at start of the year, now seem to be playing good teams off longer breaks, good team, but not as good as results say.

This is going to be a good game, but in this cluster of games 4 day break vs 6 day break expect Port to overrun us in th elast quarter.

Hope I am wrong.

If a normal schedule I think we would win. 4 days vs 6 days makes it tough. Hopefully they’re flat after their ‘mini- final’ win against the premiers. Close and Atkins might need a rest as well as a tall back as Sav supposed to be coming back. Fogarty in and A bit of speed in the middle. Parsons?

Port get easy draw at start of the year, now seem to be playing good teams off longer breaks, good team, but not as good as results say.

This is going to be a good game, but in this cluster of games 4 day break vs 6 day break expect Port to overrun us in th elast quarter.

Hope I am wrong.

Luck of the draw, but Port got Richmond, now us, coming off 4-day breaks. Handy stuff.

Don't see why Sav would need to, or should, come straight back in. If Stanley's pulled up sore, then sure, but we saw enough last night to keep Sav on the back-burner for now.

If a normal schedule I think we would win. 4 days vs 6 days makes it tough. Hopefully they’re flat after their ‘mini- final’ win against the premiers. Close and Atkins might need a rest as well as a tall back as Sav supposed to be coming back. Fogarty in and A bit of speed in the middle. Parsons?
Parsons gone never to play again for the cats Close a rest Atkins rest Cocky and Fog in

I wonder when they built Metricon if the gave consideration to being able to convert to an indoor stadium. It seems to me the best use up there would have been maximised in an atmosphered controlled stadium with optimum conditions for fans and players ... anyway thats by the by ..getting money for an oval shaped ground in the land of rectangles is probably difficult enough without asking for it to better than anything else they have. The will not even take the centre wicket out of the GABBA.

Anyway..... Port big test ... and who are the changes. Cockatoo? Fogarty back in if it was only a management issue? probably could make a case for several to have a shot but is this the week?

Obviously Close is on the chopping blocks cause he is least secure in the side. Id not be averse to give Jack Steven another rest ... and does Joel need more no game time training , good luck making that happen. Sav will come back in... but who goes out...

I'm not confident we'll win, but I feel comfortable thinking we'll give it a red hot go.

I think our gameplan really helps with the short breaks, while tiring oppositions. Nobody runs faster than a footy being kicked, so if they spend the first half chasing after us, they'll be worn out in the second half.

Going to be a good contest all the same and GLAD it's at Metricon.

I think we play better without Sav. Huge fan of his, but....last night's team was very, very well balanced

Most teams have put in a flat performance but I hope we can bring last nights intensity to this contest. We seem to relish a challenge and a clash with the clear League Leader gives us that.
We'll probably get over the line and then give the Crows their first win the very next game :p
In any event I'm picking something decent from the wine fridge for this one...................

Changes this week will be interesting. Hard to make mass changes after playing so well as a team.
Anyone with even a hint of doubt over their fitness should be rested or left out.
Being such a short turn around if anyone was to not get through the game it would be a massive disadvantage for us.

So for me Henry gets a rest and I would look to the Adelaide game before considering Cockatoo or Clark. Also give Constable more time to recover.
As for who comes in it's probably Sav and Fogarty as the most likely. Who goes out is tricky. I'd go with Atkins and Henry.

Any other outs depend on who pulls up well or not I guess.

Then again I keep thinking these short turnarounds will be hard but we have played some of the better football of our season in some of the games. So who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OUT: Taylor (rested), Close (rested), Atkins (omitted)
IN: Sav (Blics back), Fog, Clark

Henry for a rest instead of Atkins out, if he pulls up sore

Cocky won't be playing in his first game in two years, against the top side with big bodies crashing and bashing. Have said all along, he'll most likely come in after this stretch, against Adelaide where he can blow out the cobwebs without too much focus on him. Jenkins, Narkle and Freddy will probably get a run then too

Last edited:
In: Clark, Cockatoo, Esava, Fogarty, Simpson
Managed: Taylor, Close, Selwood, Bews
Dropped: Atkins

Selwood struggled since he came back and he can’t rest forward effectively like Danger. I would not push him into another game. Fog gets another chance in midfield.

clark and Cockatoo bring leg speed against quick young side.

Blicavs is working at second ruck but we need to settle him back in key post with Lynch,Kennedy and Dixon looming in finals.

Simpson just a better footballer than Atkins, despite his lack of leg speed.

Last edited:
Sounds like we were gunning for the Saints with preparation and management.
Friday night is too soon to be properly prepared for the current best team in the comp,
But even more a case of not who we are playing, but when.
From that pov, very hard to see us get recovered enough to win this one.

However, CS/MC seem to be relishing these challenges, and it helps not playing teams at their homes while we are in this current hub.

Sav in for Taylor (rest) with Blics going back to def is a very likely outcome atm

Fog in for a rested Close maybe

Would love to see Freddy play

And sooner or later they have to pull the trigger on Cocky rest Miers or Atkins and bring him in

Also maybe Clark for Henry if his ankle is sore
I'm thinking along those lines as well,I think if we lose Henry to the ankle we will squeeze another one out of Harry,3 of Constable,Fog,Clark or Sav I think will come in,it's difficult to see how Freddy claws his way in without injuries,as for the outs ...Henry if the ankle doesn't come up Atkins Steven and Close might get a spell. Pencil Cocky in for Adelaide

I think Hendo out but HT to go again - I want options to deal with Dixon. Sav back in too allows BLitz to come back and take the spot Hendo vacates.

And Fog in the guts.

GO Catters

In: Clark, Cockatoo, Esava, Fogarty, Simpson
Managed: Taylor, Close, Selwood, Bews
Dropped: Atkins

Selwood struggled since he came back and he can’t rest forward effectively like Danger. I would not push him into another game. Fog gets another chance in midfield.

clark and Cockatoo bring leg speed against quick young side.

Blicavs is working at second ruck but we need to settle him back in key post with Lynch,Kennedy and Dixon looming in finals.

Simpson just a better footballer than Atkins, despite his lack of leg speed.

Selwood isn't getting dropped for our biggest game of the year - not gonna happen.

Way too many changes IMO, which unsettles the cohesion within the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back