Game Day Geelong vs Port, 14 August at 7:50pm, Metricon Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like it was only a few days ago we were in the midst of match day discussion, and yet here we are again

Have at it with predictions, late change suggestions and discussion

Not sure Cats v Port will be the 2020 GF, but who knows.

Hoping for a cracking game, which I think we’ll get. Port put in a huge effort against the tigers, have had a 6-day break as opposed to our 4-days as we played on Monday, if we run out of gas that would be understandable.

If we can get up, it’ll further cement us as a genuine chance at the flag. I reckon out of the Vic teams in the hub, we’re just about going the best, seems we’ve definitely embraced it all.

Port are flying. It's time to knock the wind out of their sails. I expect their midfield will have a better crack than either the Saints or Brisbane, so we won't have the easy control of last week. They are big, but so are we - and we have the edge in class, I reckon.

Dixon looms as a genuine worry. I think he has the strength to monster both Hendo and Taylor, so getting support to the marking contest will be important. We do a very good job of forcing opposition out wide for set shots, and it will be very important to do it again to nullify Dixon's impact.

On the flip side, I think we can exploit their backline. It is only feels, but they seem a bit weak and flaccid to me. Our forwards should be able to intimidate them at the contest, I reckon.

A loss won't be the end of the world, but as always, I hope our boys have an honest crack - if we do, I think we will give ourselves every chance to win.

If...

after 8 years, you still only have one angle to write about the Cats....

Then...

It's well past closing time, Damo. When your mother said you would never make it as a journalist, she was right. Hang up the boots son.
Probably a bit harsh. But that's three weeks in a row he says we might be finals chances if we play our cards right...

Fun fact - Geelong have won all 4 games we've played against teams above us on the ladder at the time this season by an average margin of 46 points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm really looking forward to this one. We have matched up pretty well on Port for a number of years now. Given they're travelling away from home on a short break, I think everything should be pretty even for both teams. The fact we've been on the road for months now gives me hope that we might even be advantaged somewhat. We haven't seen the traditional slow-start 'over by quarter time' Geelong performance in a while now. May it remain a thing of the past. Just hope we put in a sustained 4-qtr effort and make the most of our chances. I do think that Guthrie, Selwood, Danger and Duncan will thrive on a genuine challenge. I also think Port will taste something foreign in coming up against a serious backline that usually doesn't allow cheap ones. This will be a great litmus test.

I think our game plan lends itself to short breaks, too, so don't think that'll be too much of an issue

I don't recall a game this year we haven't finished strongly

WCE game is the only time we seemed to run out of legs or tire - but it's also the only game during this period where we didn't bring in fresh legs

Rotating fresh legs through the team has been important over recent matches in helping us run out the games

Hoping we can maintain our rich vein of form that we have shown since the Fremantle game.
We seem to be enjoying our footy and are playing for each other, collective effort has been first class.
Seeing us over here live you pick up on the work rate and unrewarded running each player gives :thumbsu:

Obviously a win is ideal but hoping to see us bring the fierce competitiveness we have shown over the last 4 weeks.
That will reinforce our bona fides for this season

I'm only looking for that lid if we beat Richmond in a final...firmly on 'til then!

Interested in your thoughts shadow all though neither of us can truly have any idea. I am a little worried that we could just be cooked tonight? Surely it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that the grind just has to catch up with us eventually. No one has had to play so many games so quickly in the entire AFL and it must have effect sooner or later. Again I have no idea how the players are recovering and I have total faith in the clubs plan but eventually it simply has to catch up with you. Hopefully I am not right but I wouldn't hang it on our players in they have a massive flat one tonight. Thoughts?

I'm really looking forward to this one. We have matched up pretty well on Port for a number of years now. Given they're travelling away from home on a short break, I think everything should be pretty even for both teams. The fact we've been on the road for months now gives me hope that we might even be advantaged somewhat. We haven't seen the traditional slow-start 'over by quarter time' Geelong performance in a while now. May it remain a thing of the past. Just hope we put in a sustained 4-qtr effort and make the most of our chances. I do think that Guthrie, Selwood, Danger and Duncan will thrive on a genuine challenge. I also think Port will taste something foreign in coming up against a serious backline that usually doesn't allow cheap ones. This will be a great litmus test.

To be fair there is no way it's even. We have gone 4 day break 5 day break 4 day break. I don't think it's the days off in any one week. It's the accumulative effect that you can't get around eventually. I'm not saying we won't perform and I really hope we do but if we were flat we have a much better excuse than Port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back