Preview Geelong vs Port Adelaide, Sat 21/5/22 1.15pm GMHBA Stadium (aka The Pork-Barrellers vs the Teal Independents)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I've been loving the rise of Marshall and our leading patterns, we'll be playing against an elite intercept defence tomorrow and I can see Stewart dominating us as usual

As much as I've been loving the rise of Marshall and our leading patterns, we'll be playing against an elite intercept defence tomorrow and I can see Stewart dominating us as usual
Yep Stewart and Blicavs on ruck will have a field day running off Hayes

Geelong by 1-39

Intercept defenders thrive on the bomb it long because they play a loose game and can float across and help. I see it the other way, that with a proper forward structure and leading patterns coupled with the mid lowering the eyes we will actually have better forward entries than ever before against Geelong. The way to beat intercept marks in defence is to make them accountable for a player.

Fully expect the miraculous revival engineered by our master coach to hit a hefty speed bump here and thud back to earth. Which will of course be fine by Ken and his media cheer squad because, y'know, Geelong are a good side and it's one of the toughest road trips in footy.

On our team tomorrow, only Jonas, SPP, Motlop, Gray, Boak, Finlayson, Amon, Wines, Clurey, Aliir and DBJ have played a game at the Cattery.

That’s half the team, which surprises me given how little we’ve played there recently, although Motlop, Finlayson and Aliir all played there for other clubs, which makes it only 8 for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On our team tomorrow, only Jonas, SPP, Motlop, Gray, Boak, Finlayson, Amon, Wines, Clurey, Aliir and DBJ have played a game at the Cattery.

That’s half the team, which surprises me given how little we’ve played there recently, although Motlop, Finlayson and Aliir all played there for other clubs, which makes it only 8 for us.

Also Trent Dumont has played a game there, so that’s more than half the team.

They’ll be alright tomorrow.

Geelong by 26 and lead all day.

However, if we come to play from first bounce, narrow and lengthen the ground and scrum the play, then get Dumont, Amon, Farrell to hurt them on the spread and Burton and Houston to overlap, we will catch their defence one on one and unable to intercept or flood.

Rozee, Butters, Amon and Farrell are critical - their speed and agility will allow us to break through congestion. SPP will be our most important player - will need to play the hell out of it, win in ruck, hurt and hunt them in the forward line and crash and bash in the midfield to create space.

Aliir will be interesting in this game, less of a need to intercept and more to double team Hawkins. I think Jonas to start on Hawkins and Clurey to run with Cameron.

Fully expect the miraculous revival engineered by our master coach to hit a hefty speed bump here and thud back to earth. Which will of course be fine by Ken and his media cheer squad because, y'know, Geelong are a good side and it's one of the toughest road trips in footy.
And it's a really tough competition.

Wonder if he was affected last week. Just about the quietest game I can remember him playing
Going by Champion Data ranking points it was his worst game since the 2007 Grand Final. Oof.

4 of Geelong's 5 wins have been
ESSENDON
NORTH MELBOURNE
COLLINGWOOD
GWS

They are not exactly world beaters this year.

Still doesn't fill me with any confidence as losing on their landing strip ground seems as certain as death and taxes

Need to figure out what the wind does at that construction end of GMHBA. I think the fwd entries are way better with new game plan, which will make it harder for Stewart. Our defense needs to hold up against Hawkins, Cameron, Stengle and Rohan. I think our mids will hold up thanks to speed. Lets hope delivery is good. Stanley vs Hayes should be good. SPP to do some grunt work against Blicavs in fwd ruck stoppages. Clurey to make Hawkins take his set shots from the boundary. Cameron and Motlop to kick 3+ goals each

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back