Preview Geelong vs Port Adelaide, Thursday 25th May, 7:20pm @ Simonds Stadium

Winner + Margin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or we may win by more...
Or they know what they're doing and unlike us know how they want to use the 22 selected. Tall and slow defence works on this ground. Nice and narrow to limit spread and outside speed.

Ryder will more than likely get the edge in hitouts and around the ground. Would not think either will be a game changer unless one can kick a few forward.

This game is all about the midfield

Dangerfield, Selwood, Menegola, S.Selwood, Guthrie

Gray, Wines, Boak, Ebert, Hartlett

Wingard out is fantastic for Geelong
Surely it's danger, sell and Duncan by now. Unsold on the rests for this year.

Or they know what they're doing and unlike us know how they want to use the 22 selected. Tall and slow defence works on this ground. Nice and narrow to limit spread and outside speed.

The "tall and slow defence" primarily worked last week because the Dogs couldn't get it down there too often. When they did in the 3rd quarter they ripped that same "tall and slow defence" to shreds. Make no mistake, we won last week because for the majority of the game our midfield was superb working both ways for the first time in a while.

The "tall and slow defence" primarily worked last week because the Dogs couldn't get it down there too often. When they did in the 3rd quarter they ripped that same "tall and slow defence" to shreds. Make no mistake, we won last week because for the majority of the game our midfield was superb working both ways for the first time in a while.
I disagree. It worked alright last year for the most part.

We won because we gave the opposition no option but to bomb long for the most part, aided by midfield pressure sure but it probably doesn't matter if you're super small and there's no pressure, you'd still lose. Midfield pressure should be the constant, on the G you have a point about speed and height but not at Kardinia Park.

I guess I'm saying the overreactionary commentary surrounding the centimetres attributed to our defenders is overblown.

I eargerly look forward to Lonergan being recalled, will be needed for the Crows :thumbsu:

Yes and no, he's certainly not just an outside receiver, he also gets more contested possessions than any of the other three.
That's why when someone asked who parsons is like before his first game I suggested Bairstow.

He will get there. Got to keep playing him.

Both Parsons and Cunico have been asked to show what they can do on the inside at VFL level. Both have have shown they don't shirk, have quick handball if needed and can break away from the centre and deliver (if an opportunity arises).

Both are interesting because they probably have equal outside capability. Cunico is a very good kick on both feet and Parsons is just clever (=creative).

I doubted Parsons would step up as well as he has. I am now convinced he will be a good AFL player. And as VDubs I think said, as a wing half forward rather than goalkicking forward.

Cunico still has to make the next step. He has had more setbacks than Parsons but he has used this down time to build his body well and gradually worked his way to the top of the "bests lists" in the VFL .

And neither lack pace.

The MC are being proactive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the mc are banking on us to play the game to our conditions. Despite the power matching us onball, the cats play GMDHA oval pretty well. I wasn't too far away with my margin last week (23p) and I am going w the 4g home ground advantage again tmrw night

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well Westoff has kicked 5 goals so ..he has been forward at times.

He's kicked five goals for the season (highest is one in any game) and you're worried we won't have enough talls to cover him?

Blicavs has also kicked five goals this year, would you say he's 'been forward' too? Westhoff has played on a wing all year.

He's kicked five goals for the season (highest is one in any game) and you're worried we won't have enough talls to cover him?

Blicavs has also kicked five goals this year, would you say he's 'been forward' too? Westhoff has played on a wing all year.

No I would say both have spent time forward , or at least close enough to kick goals.I do not know if they have been in play or mark and kick goals.
Id say they have reduced the height on our backline for this week by removing Lonergan and not replacing the height which on paper makes us short compared to their named side on paper. I say its probably a tactical choice. Whether we are too short or not is yet to be determined.

Good changes.

For what it is worth. ...

Must be the only one who thinks that Lonergan hasn't been "deplorable" this year. Definitely down on energy and a little on some of the basics (the two missed spoils on Darcy Moore were the low point for me), but has genrrally played his part, taken some good contested marks and linked by foot pretty well. He has hardly been monstered. I do agree with the change however. Would love to see him get to 200 but really should be thinking about the long term now and that means getting games into Garnder (I hope this happens next time we "manage" Domsey).

Must be the only one who thinks David Mensch was a pretty reasonable player (starting to duck already). Recall he was a pretty good contested mark, had a good long kick and did kick his 1-2 goals a game with the odd bag of goals (too lazy to look up his average). Very unfashionable, lumbering and inconsistent, granted but hardly a hack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back