Preview Geelong vs Port Adelaide, Thursday 25th May, 7:20pm @ Simonds Stadium

Winner + Margin?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ruggles should probably come back but not at bews expense bews has the closing speed the rest of our defenders lack.

Lang is a better player than murdoch but his defensive chasing still lacked today imo (as it often does). If lang plays i would still play both as with cockatoo out and menzel not chasing much we need a defensive forward which is the only thing murdoch is ok at.

Maybe
Out: Cockatoo OConnor Lonergan
In: Guthrie Ruggles Lang

Although that requires us to go shorter in defence and not sure we will (taylor will play forward). Would drop blicavs for stanley maybe we need a 2nd ruck either way.

Who takes Dixon? He is not really a stay at home KPF but is as strong as the gorilla types Lonergan is good at?

Id leave Lonergan in atm . With him and Henderson as our talls it seems to work reasonably well against the Dogs who are smaller.

Guthrie and Lang are the two obvious in. I like what I saw of Jones but Lang is in before him.

I'm not his biggest fan, but he went real hard at it today in the VFL, just bullocked his way through packs at times.
He and Lang were dominant and both did everything possible to try and earn a recall.

Ruggles just won't be able to do that at AFL level unfortunately, it's low percentage stuff for him at that level, he'd be caught or hurt too often.
He's definitely learned and improved from his first season as a listed player in 2016 though, kudos to him.
I still prefer Bews if given a choice (who is also tough as nails), but wouldn't be averse to seeing both play in the seniors at some point.

We just need to Thurlow to start finding his feet and we'll have some really good competition for defensive spots.

Speaking of Bews though and getting back to the game, he might be given the job of trying to curtail Robbie Gray, who has been in damaging form whenever I've seen him play this year (admittedly I haven't seen a ton of the Power! nonetheless Gray is a weapon when in form).
The only other player who matches up ok on him would be Guthrie if he is ok to resume.

edit: damnit; I totally thought I was in the Geel vs Port preview thread. I'm lost ...

Ruggles looks like he likes the pace of the VFL a bit better than AFL. At KP I think thinness of the ground can counter any speed issues. So he could be a better option this week but for our long term benefit we should keep Bews in , hopefully for a season , and then by finals he is comfortable and at home in the side.

Can't see O'Connor being dropped after Scotty gave him a glowing review in the post match presser.

Guthrie for Cockatoo, and perhaps one more change if they want to bring Ruggles in. Don't think any of our defenders deserve to make way though.

Coming off a trip to China and a bye , us coming of a dogcat fight and 6 day break....
Will be a decent test for us. I think we have been playing super footy and flying under the radar from the Vic media and getting smashed about the China adventure. Keen to see how we travel against serious opposition at Skilked.

Would luv to see the Rug in.
Port seem to get the Hacketts when playing us and The Rug will not stand for it.
Consensus for some reason is that he and Bews can't play in the same team. Dunno why? I thought we played our best footy last year with them both in the team.
(Crows games, Dogs, Melb.)

Changes for next week - I can't see too many from the VFL today coming in just because of the short break though.

Ins: Guthrie, Ruggles
Outs: Cocky (hamstring), Lonergan

Curious to see serious Motlop's finger(?) injury is because it looked like they were trying to pop a finger back in. I know he came back on, but it'll be interesting to see how he pulls up.

So if Motlop is out then I'll bring in Lang.
Be surprised if Motlop is out after having a dislocated finger reduced.
I suspect Menzel may get a rest, 6 day turnaround, looked to be labouring all match, but then the last Q...?
If so,
Outs: Cockatoo, Menzel
Ins: Guthrie, Lang

Thank you good sir. Just wonder if there's a suitable tag option for him v Port?
Justin Westhoff is a very dangerous mobile tall; Blic could be the man to go with him.
We need lots of stoppers- Wingard, Gray. Boak, Wines, Ebert. Hartlett, Trengove, all are troublesome.
Ryder and Lobbe have been >>useful.
Dixon..
At least our guys will have roles again.

Justin Westhoff is a very dangerous mobile tall; Blic could be the man to go with him.
We need lots of stoppers- Wingard, Gray. Boak, Wines, Ebert. Hartlett, Trengove, all are troublesome.
Dixon..

Of course the best way to stop Wingard, Gray etc is to win the ball yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who takes Dixon? He is not really a stay at home KPF but is as strong as the gorilla types Lonergan is good at?

Id leave Lonergan in atm . With him and Henderson as our talls it seems to work reasonably well against the Dogs who are smaller.

Guthrie and Lang are the two obvious in. I like what I saw of Jones but Lang is in before him.

Henderson to dixon. Kolo to westhoff.

Its wingard/gray/impey etc that we really need to worry about in their fwd line. Bews will be crucial in that.

Dixon..
I think the best way to stop Westhoff is to win the ball out of the middle as they'll then put him back straight away and leave him there.
I love Robbie Gray but he's only fired against lesser teams this year. If we put Bews on him he won't have much impact.
I'd be tempted to put Taylor back for this one. Port will have big inside 50 numbers but bring it in poorly. Harry will have a field day.
Put Scooter on Wines, Bews on Gray and on our ground we'll win by 10+ goals.

Be surprised if Motlop is out after having a dislocated finger reduced.
I suspect Menzel may get a rest, 6 day turnaround, looked to be labouring all match, but then the last Q...?
If so,
Outs: Cockatoo, Menzel
Ins: Guthrie, Lang

We need menzel and we have a bye in 3 weeks rest him then.

Domsy stays in this week for Charlie.

He does incredibly well on gorillas and has done so recently.

HE will get rested and Gardner needs to get in there... but not against Dixon.

GO Catters

Will be a decent test for us. I think we have been playing super footy and flying under the radar from the Vic media and getting smashed about the China adventure. Keen to see how we travel against serious opposition at Skilked.

First its Simonds not Skilled. Admittedly it has changed sponsor a bit but it has been Simonds since 2011 and some media types will still be calling the old name when it changes agin at years end. Dont want to keep up with its retial name..just go with Kardinia Park , KP , Cattery...

Id have thought that a traditionally AFL supporter from SA would be a bit over this Vic mindset. Aren't you a bit bigger that now? Id hope you were more mature than the immature noises that emanate from the Northern borders. Lets deal in facts. Smashed? I have heard nothing but admiration for the cunning way you deprived a development team of their home game and made several clever business co relationships that may have earned the club 4 Millions dollars according to a Business Review Journo ( not Victorian)

If it were not for your recent record V us.... you should be favourites. We are ripe for a beating ,off 6 days and a bruising match. Fail and you guys will be under the pump from SA media.

Henderson to dixon. Kolo to westhoff.

Its wingard/gray/impey etc that we really need to worry about in their fwd line. Bews will be crucial in that.

Id almost consider Stanley for the job if he was a capable defender. Quick and strong. Henderson is better player than just a stopper but I cant really see another option. Id be concerned that we lack a switch hit. Perhaps bring Taylor back if we have to.

What a difference a week makes. Suddenly the pessimists are up and about and we're 'invincible' again.

It's important that we don't drop off in intensity and sustain it for a second consecutive week.

Port won't be a pushover so If we revert back to the 'we have this' mentality we're in for a shock.

Cats by 30 points.

What a difference a week makes. Suddenly the pessimists are up and about and we're 'invincible' again.

It's important that we don't drop off in intensity and sustain it for a second consecutive week.

Port won't be a pushover so If we revert back to the 'we have this' mentality we're in for a shock.

Cats by 30 points.
Pun intended?

These are the ins and outs I like to see:
Out: OConnor, Motlop, Cocky, Lonner
In: Gutherie, Lang, Black/Cucino, Gardener
But likely will only see MC to make one change - Gutherie for Cocky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back