Geelong vs Richmond MCG Sunday 17th 3.20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came into this thread to see a discussion of the game. But I'm actually seeing a discussion of the MCG. :think:

Teams get to play H&A games at non-home venues because ..... The AFL

Anyway, it was a good game and I reckon the Cats can go a long way. They really need to work out a way to deal with suffocating pressure better. But lots to be excited about as a Geelong fan.

Tigers looked fairly good. Could be better, but good solid game.

Umpires did what they do. I hate the way the block is officiated. Blocks that look identical are adjudged differently. Some are good play and some illegal. The rule that players on the ground with the ball in hand are in the wrong when a player stays up and so gets their legs taken out I hate. A few times (usually Geelong players using some smarts) you could see the players start to go down, then straighten up and get the free. I know why the rule exists, but it often penalizes the player making the play for the ball. And grappling the KPF is now effectively legal, except when it occasionally isn't. The umps job is so hard. But these stupid interpretations they are made to follow, lead to really confusing and stupid results sometimes. *$#&% AFL.

Yes nice to see someone talk about the game, which whilst defensive, was good to watch.

Now I'm a fan of the sliding/taking out the player's legs rule. I contend it has always been a rule, ie tripping. And I always thought a player who was later to the ball, and elected to slide in, taking the opponent out as their priority, should be penalised. And I even think maybe the incident in the game yesterday was there, even though it was a genuine attempt for the ball, the Geelong player was there first. I'm not sure, only saw it the once. It seemed harsh.

But you are spot on in your assessment, that now it has become a "keep your feet" rule. It's like the AFL just don't want people going to ground at all, it's keep your feet at all costs. That's gonna take some getting used to.

I almost think the interrogation should be that is okay so long as you touch the ball before the player.

I almost think the interrogation should be that is okay so long as you touch the ball before the player.
Agree with this. There was one last week when I think Adams? from Collingwood dived head first, arms outstretched, and he tapped to ball to a teammate in the open. It was awesome, desperate football. Opponent arrived second, fell over him, free.

I nearly broke the TV!!

The rule was to stop people sliding in feet first dangerously, not to stop acts of pure football desperation.

game of the round and in adelaide we get a shitfest like hawks vs crows yesterday instead of this game on 7
Wasn’t just Adelaide who got that trash instead:thumbsdown:

Why is Richmond's next home game at Etihad against the Swans?
It's a disgrace.
Blah, blah, blah
I know you’re taking the piss out of the pussycats, but it really is a dumb choice, I accept we need to play a home game at Etihad, but what genius thought we should play Sydney instead of Brisbane or Freo there?
Defies all logic

But you are spot on in your assessment, that now it has become a "keep your feet" rule. It's like the AFL just don't want people going to ground at all, it's keep your feet at all costs. That's gonna take some getting used to.
it'll happen.
auskickers aren't allowed to dive on the ball.
I implore my crew to 'keep their feet' always - it is a mantra. there is less congestion and cleaner contests as a result.
the auskickers of today won't understand what all the fuss was about when they play afl.

good game yesterday by the way. crazy we play again in six weeks. but for the cats it is great. they can tinker and reload at the 'g.' perfect recipe for seeing how you stack up.

Yes nice to see someone talk about the game, which whilst defensive, was good to watch.

Now I'm a fan of the sliding/taking out the player's legs rule. I contend it has always been a rule, ie tripping. And I always thought a player who was later to the ball, and elected to slide in, taking the opponent out as their priority, should be penalised. And I even think maybe the incident in the game yesterday was there, even though it was a genuine attempt for the ball, the Geelong player was there first. I'm not sure, only saw it the once. It seemed harsh.

I think it was Graham that was penalised for contact below the knees and that decision was the perfect illistration of what should be paid and the reasons the rule was brought in.

The decision I found baffling was the 50m to Parfitt I think it was in the 2nd qtr? Was that against Rance for going over the mark or against McIntosh for 10m? Because McIntosh was atleast 9.5m if not 12m, and was completely out of the play, and there were another 10 occasions for the day when players were within 2m and actually affecting the play and no calls. Such a frustratingly cr.p rule.

Agree. Clumsy hamfisted rule interpretation change. Anyone would know that it would lead to players deciding not to contest and get the free. Can't believe I just wrote that "players deciding not to contest and get the free"

Geelong were a lot better at countering Richmond's pressure football than they were in the final last year.

Cats missing Henderson, S Selwood and Taylor, plenty of room for improvement, Richmond almost full strength. I think it will be just as close, or closer in 6 rounds' time.

If Geelong do start playing better at the MCG, then the tigers might be in trouble in September, when it matters.

I reckon the cats fans will be begging for Richmond at the G rather than the Eagles in Perth in September. Better they get as much experience there as possible.

Geelong were a lot better at countering Richmond's pressure football than they were in the final last year.

Cats missing Henderson, S Selwood and Taylor, plenty of room for improvement, Richmond almost full strength. I think it will be just as close, or closer in 6 rounds' time.

If Geelong do start playing better at the MCG, then the tigers might be in trouble in September, when it matters.

I reckon the cats fans will be begging for Richmond at the G rather than the Eagles in Perth in September. Better they get as much experience there as possible.

We have Prestia, Houli and Astbury minimum to come back. Both teams have room for improvement.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wet evens things up a bit. We kicked badly in the first as well. Should have kicked 3-4 before Geelong got their first, which would have changed the game completely.

I think it was Graham that was penalised for contact below the knees and that decision was the perfect illistration of what should be paid and the reasons the rule was brought in.

The decision I found baffling was the 50m to Parfitt I think it was in the 2nd qtr? Was that against Rance for going over the mark or against McIntosh for 10m? Because McIntosh was atleast 9.5m if not 12m, and was completely out of the play, and there were another 10 occasions for the day when players were within 2m and actually affecting the play and no calls. Such a frustratingly cr.p rule.

I was dumbfounded at that too. Had to be against Rance, just had to be. McIntosh was kilometres away, and as you said there were at least a dozen occasions where this wasnt enforced.

True but game followed a similar arc which was Tigers powering away last quarter.

As has been identified by earlier posters, our bottom 6 are an issue. Lot of work to do to bridge gap noting we play again in another 7 weeks time

Rfc missing prestia, houli and astbury but of course fringe players won't be part of this conversation.

P.s. do you work for CNN?

True but game followed a similar arc which was Tigers powering away last quarter.

As has been identified by earlier posters, our bottom 6 are an issue. Lot of work to do to bridge gap noting we play again in another 7 weeks time
If we lump it in with those other games where we pulled away late, the cats did well to contain us. It was up for grabs in time on. I thought it was a good game, both sides looked pretty switched on. Obviously I’m not used to being good but it was probably the most finals-like H&A game I’ve been to. I’m looking forward to meeting again in a month or two and then hopefully again in September.

They didn't did they? Good grief.
It wasn’t too bad.
They probably just brought the same animation package that they normally would use at Kardinia. Just sounded a little hollow.

TBH I didn’t mind the presenter and the animation package. It had a country/regional feel about it but I like teams coming to another ground as who they are and what they represent.

Yes it sounded regional, but that’s authentic and true to their region, rather than creating a slick package and a young fast talking announcer. Did surprise when I first heard the announcers voice though.

Are you serious or just having some monday afternoon fun?
Tiges were missing Astbury, Houli and Prestia, comparing the three above is laughable.

Yer I assume you mean we can’t get any better...oh well atleast we can enjoy last year.

I know you’re taking the piss out of the pussycats, but it really is a dumb choice, I accept we need to play a home game at Etihad, but what genius thought we should play Sydney instead of Brisbane or Freo there?
Defies all logic

Strange scheduling all round. Last team into the bye and the first to return. 6-day break followed by 9 and 11 days.

Are you serious or just having some monday afternoon fun?
Tiges were missing Astbury, Houli and Prestia, comparing the three above is laughable.

While they may not have their best football in front of them, Taylor has been one of the best kpd players of the last decade, and he and Henderson have been our two best defenders for the two seasons prior to this one. Selwood isn't a world beater but he is our best defensive midfielder on a consistent basis.

That's not to decry your outs by any means. But dismissing ours as though they don't count is, frankly, f***in stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back