Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2001
Punt Road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Heart, Furies
Someone needs to play a defensive role on Tom Stewart but not sure we have a match up? If he's allowed to play loose and rack up 30+ and a bunch of intercept marks we won't win.
Castagna?

Someone needs to play a defensive role on Tom Stewart but not sure we have a match up? If he's allowed to play loose and rack up 30+ and a bunch of intercept marks we won't win.
Think they will just try to target our talls going inside 50 and if they don’t mark it back our smalls to apply pressure

One benefit of them playing Stewart spare is that we gain a spare player as well so gives us Vlossy a chance to play his intercepting best

Just means we need to back our midfield to try and get those repeat entries

Oct 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Heat
Castagna?
Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Think only Pickett who can go with him on the ground and the air.

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
I for one like the Soldo inclusion. It’s going to be dry so if we go too far in the pace/short selection we are going to get absolutely killed in the air and thus won’t be able to get it to ground. Soldo can at least fist it and can tag team with Nank in ruck/Def. As soon as teams start marking against us we are cooked. We’ve got enough pace anyway no need to overdo it.

The only change I’d make is HRS in instead of edwards. If you want to nurse him to 300 games play him against Suns, WC, North, bombers and a couple of medical subs. Done.

Mar 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I for one like the Soldo inclusion. It’s going to be dry so if we go too far in the pace/short selection we are going to get absolutely killed in the air and thus won’t be able to get it to ground. Soldo can at least fist it and can tag team with Nank in ruck/Def. As soon as teams start marking against us we are cooked. We’ve got enough pace anyway no need to overdo it.

The only change I’d make is HRS in instead of edwards. If you want to nurse him to 300 games play him against Suns, WC, North, bombers and a couple of medical subs. Done.

Soldo will absolutely sodomise Stainley/Blicavs in the ruck contests, could be a good confidence booster for him (I hope).

Last edited:

STRUGGLETOWN EST1885

The reward is in the grind
Jun 28, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
This might sound utterly ridiculous but start MRJ on him with instructions to tackle, tackle tackle at every opportunity then Judson and co can feed off the turnovers for goals.

This might sound utterly ridiculous but start MRJ on him with instructions to tackle, tackle tackle at every opportunity then Judson and co can feed off the turnovers for goals.

Not ridiculous. But a big ask to play on a good intercept mark. If MRJ can body him enough it'll do.

Noidnadroj

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond

How’s Charlie Spargo going this season?

Edwards v Spargo:

Goals: 0.5 v 0.4
I50’s: 2.4 v 3.1
Goal Ass: 0.8 v 0.9
SI’s: 4.7 v 4.6
Tackles: 1.7 v 2.5
Disposals: 14.3 v 13.1
DE%: 74% v 70%
Intercepts: 1.8 v 1.4
T’overs: 2.2 v 2.1
Metres: 210 v 215
Clearances: 1.5 v 0.3

So we’ve got to accept Edwards will never again be the 2017-2020 version. But as a high half forward / winger he is playing his role to a level equal to Spargo who gets widely lauded for his contribution to Melbourne.

I know stats aren’t everything, but Edwards is worthy of his spot in the team …. would anyone in the VFL be able to come in and average 1.3 goals + goal assists and 4.7 SI’s per game? Plus be able to go into the occasional stoppage?

I believe he can and will play better footy in the latter part of the season, but we need to temper our expectations based on the role he is now playing.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 2, 2007
Willy back beach
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC Williamstown FC

Edwards v Spargo:

So we’ve got to accept Edwards will never again be the 2017-2020 version. But as a high half forward / winger he is playing his role to a level equal to Spargo who gets widely lauded for his contribution to Melbourne.

I know stats aren’t everything, but Edwards is worthy of his spot in the team …. would anyone in the VFL be able to come in and average 1.3 goals + goal assists and 4.7 SI’s per game? Plus be able to go into the occasional stoppage?

I believe he can and will play better footy in the latter part of the season, but we need to temper our expectations based on the role he is now playing.

No idea who Spargo is.

CholEstrol

Club Legend
Apr 1, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
And you know his professionalism isn't up to scratch how. Hardwick and a few others mentioned it in October, 8 months ago. Since then he has been in full training, played a 14 odd matches and looks in good nick and good touch. He had 23 and 3 goals only 3 odd weeks ago. Played wing preseason. He was our best player in about round 22 last season in the AFL.

I think we need to start narrowing down the field for the finals team. An up and going Stack is a real bonus, more so than MRJ or young Clarke, add Edwards in there as well the way he is playing.
It's currently somewhere in the middle with Syd atm. The "prove you want it or GTFO" approach from some on here is dumb to a degree given his god given talent. I don't think this would be the clubs attitude. Balme on TT said he would play him but it wasn't up to him (or similar).
That gives me hope that Dimma is being patient, like he was with Shai.
And yes if it comes together in line with a finals push - everybody wins.
And if that happens, don't want to see the expert BF selectors on here saying 'glad he proved me wrong'.

May 23, 2010
Leafy Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Richmond

Kick it to grass and let MRJ and Shai go to work. It's how you unravel Lever also.

Philth

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United

Edwards v Spargo:

I think we had come to expect A grade silk from Edwards, like he spoiled us with a few years ago.
He's been ok. Doing enough to hold his spot in the side.

Vassp

Premiership Player
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
View attachment 1431021

Maybe Sydney should have this taped to his locker. We all support the kid and hope he makes it but it's up to him and him alone if he does

Surprised Aarts didn't get a call up he kicked 4:goals in the Magoo's.

just because he kicked 4 in the 2s doesn't mean he can do it in the AFL.

Some players have more speed and output which transfers well in the VFL.
But in the AFL you need more than speed and output.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back