Preview Geelong vs St Kilda, Mon Aug 10 @ GABBA, 6.10 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
After a promising effort from the team against North , a big challenge against the 'rampaging" StKilda who are in blistering form coming of a great win against Gold Coast

If Geelong are to be near the top this year ..this is another game that we probably need to win... with games against Port and Rich coming up

A big chance for someone like Jack Steven against his old team... and players like Clark are putting up their hand to come back in ....

Jordan Clark returns in scratch match to put hand up to meet St Kilda
Geelong will have “a few dilemmas at selection” as teenager Jordan Clark emerges as a surprise inclusion, only weeks after a dislocated shoulder.
Toby Prime, Geelong Advertiser
Subscriber only
|
August 6, 2020 6:42pm
Teenager Jordan Clark. Picture: Mark Kolbe
Teenager Jordan
https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...t/news-story/374247366b7ea82586bed31c8013efac

Last edited:

Glad Steven found some confidence the other day, he seems the type of personality that will be very nervous coming up against his old side.

Butler is clearly the danger man up forward, but I think with Bews and O'Connor we have better options to contain him than many other teams.

Danger to spend more time in the middle, a couple more to be rested, will we consider Jenkins for this one?

Incredible to see Clark potentially available, his injury looked a long term one.

Butler is dangerous. Need to minimise his impact. Bews possibly?

We cannot let him get open out the back - if Lachie Weller can't run him down we have no chance :(
I like our structure behind the ball though - it was first class over here V Eagles and Liam Ryan is just as dangerous and we kept him in check.

I notice we've only won one game against a side in the top half of the ladder as it stands. Simply must win games like this if we're serious this season

We cannot let him get open out the back - if Lachie Weller can't run him down we have no chance :(
I like our structure behind the ball though - it was first class over here V Eagles and Liam Ryan is just as dangerous and we kept him in check.

Yeah, Butler really surprised me with that run and goal - just casually took a bounce with Weller (who I think is noted for his pace) hot on his tail. I didn't think Butler was that quick.

That run just put an extra 50G on Butlers contract

Saints play fast football. Cats are more a tempo football team. We can play keepings off and slow it down. St.kilds are helter skelter. I expect our game savvy to get it done. Pace in midfield would help when they have some momentum. Parsons or Clarke? Parfitt and Rohan would be in line for a recall. Maybe close to have a spell. Zuthrie keeps out kolo for one more. Can’t let the ball go out the back and be drawn too muck to King. They kick a lot of inside 20m goals. Can’t have that.

I didn't watch a great deal of either match last night, but I think it was the 3rd quarter of the Suns vs Saints match and just after the Saints run into an open goal to kick another major.

The commentators then mentioned that the Saints have kicked 31 goals from within 15m of goal - they may have kicked more by the end of the night. That's the most of any team this season, Richmond is second on the list but like less than half of what the Saints have kicked

So that's definition something we need to be aware of, and can't let the ball get out the back with ease - something that's been to easily done at times against us.

I wonder if they may give consideration to having someone like Taylor/Henderson playing a sweeper type role - or is there someone else that would be suitable to that sort of thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't watch a great deal of either match last night, but I think it was the 3rd quarter of the Suns vs Saints match and just after the Saints run into an open goal to kick another major.

The commentators then mentioned that the Saints have kicked 31 goals from within 15m of goal - they may have kicked more by the end of the night. That's the most of any team this season, Richmond is second on the list but like less than half of what the Saints have kicked

So that's definition something we need to be aware of, and can't let the ball get out the back with ease - something that's been to easily done at times against us.

I wonder if they may give consideration to having someone like Taylor/Henderson playing a sweeper type role - or is there someone else that would be suitable to that sort of thing?
If the ball hits the deck then butler, Hind & Gresham are all over it. Need to kill the ball and not let it get over the back. Taylor & Hendo will be busy with King and a resting ruckman I think.

If the ball hits the deck then butler, Hind & Gresham are all over it. Need to kill the ball and not let it get over the back. Taylor & Hendo will be busy with King and a resting ruckman I think.
If Jenkins or Ratugolea play I'd hope that it means Blicavs returns to defence - might then present the opportunity to rest one of Taylor or Henderson, as surely we can't play all 3 in the same backline

I think Geel will win comfortably - im not convinced about StKilda ( and you can add Pt Adelaide and Bris as well )

Fremantle gave StKilda 5 goals start - reeled them in and beat them - thats suspect form for mine - im not interested in - aernt they exciting - they are a dark horse blah blah

Geelong showed what they could do against the Eagles ( top notch opposition ) that was class football from the Cats - a replication of that wins this upcoming game

Sav Rat and Rohan rested - youd think they will come in - Geel suddenly look like theve got a bit of depth - Scottie and his co selectors have got an interesting job picking this weeks team ( to fit them all in ) but in my opinion it will be a winning team

If Geel can qualify top 4 in this unusual year - finals at the Gabba - then i think the Cats have got a very good chance - where as at the start of the year i thought they had Buckleys and none ( to win the premiership )

It was great to see us live 3 times over here and look at our structures cats_09
We obviously set up well behind the ball at GMHBA but I was equally impressed with the way we were able to do it over here in all 3 games on the bigger Optus - I know De Goey got hold of us but it was more one on one rather than us letting him get out the back on his own. Our set up v Freo and WC was very impressive.
Looks like a welcome focus to me to complement our solid defence.
We also look to be moving the ball quicker and using the corridor more - hope we continue to build on this as our forward line can be deadly if it comes in quick :thumbsu:

It was great to see us live 3 times over here and look at our structures cats_09
We obviously set up well behind the ball at GMHBA but I was equally impressed with the way we were able to do it over here in all 3 games on the bigger Optus - I know De Goey got hold of us but it was more one on one rather than us letting him get out the back on his own. Our set up v Freo and WC was very impressive.
We also look to be moving the ball quicker and using the corridor more - hope we continue to build on this as our forward line can be deadly if it comes in quick :thumbsu:
Yes corridor usage good. Can cut st.kilda up through there on the rebound when they are running forward of the ball.

Cheers - what I'm missing most about not being able to attend games is being able to see the whole ground, get an idea of how we are setting up and actually going about things that are outside the vision of the camera

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what's been done to keep the league going this season & happy that I have Foxtel access to watch our matches; but there is limitations with that

Cheers - what I'm missing most about not being able to attend games is being able to see the whole ground, get an idea of how we are setting up and actually going about things that are outside the vision of the camera

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate what's been done to keep the league going this season & happy that I have Foxtel access to watch our matches; but there is limitations with that

Yeah - couldn't agree more that's why it was so great to see 3 live games.
I think we've handled hub life very well as , apart from game 1 , we've been competitive in every game and unlike most Clubs we haven't put in a shocker ( yet !!).
We really came to play against a very in form WC and largely had it until a few horrendous turnovers and some missed "easy" shots in the last.
I think if we can keep a healthy list , continue to selectively play some youngsters and maintain our focus we'll give it a real shot.
Really looking forward to seeing how we go against the Tigers

It’s weird not feeling like we just need to show up to beat St Kilda. We have only lost one of the past ten against them. They are a different proposition this year.

Need to beat up on them in the midfield. Relative rankings:

Contested possessions: 2nd v 9th
Uncontested possessions: 1st v 10th
Clearances: 3rd v 10th

*Team/Opponent average differences

I guess we can expect at least a few changes. I’d like to see Parfitt, Clark and Rohan back. As with this week It’s hard to pick the outs as we don’t know who is sore and who they are needing to reduce load for. Possibly Harry? C Guthrie and Menegola must be feeling the pinch. Danger would be but he can rest forward at least.

Saints playing great football, but This is the sort of game we win.

No chance we underestimate them. Extra day break. Thinish midfield in opposition. Team reliant on good and quick ball movement meets Geelong peerless defensive structure.

Saints probably due a loss.

Will be a high class game but if we don’t burn shots at goal, cats by 15 points.

Yep, and maybe Saints rest a few players and load up to beat bombers the week after.
Saints playing great football, but This is the sort of game we win.

No chance we underestimate them. Extra day break. Thinish midfield in opposition. Team reliant on good and quick ball movement meets Geelong peerless defensive structure.

Saints probably due a loss.

Will be a high class game but if we don’t burn shots at goal, cats by 15 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back