Preview Geelong vs St Kilda, Mon Aug 10 @ GABBA, 6.10 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's literally not incorrect though, we're 1-3 against teams currently placed 1st through 10th and 5-1 against teams 11th-18th
Hawthorn were in the 8 when we beat them, so you want to include them too?

I don't think we were disgraced against Collingwood or West Coast but facts are facts. We've had an easy run so far. You can only beat who you play but we've only really had one good scalp this season and we'll need to have a few more if it's going to be a good season. That's all my point is.
At the same time, teams who were in the 8 then but not now might have been harder to beat when we played them. Until the final 8 is known at rd 17, it's a dubious exercise to pick which teams are good and bad and whether our wins mean more than another teams.

Question without notice:

who has been the better mature-age, recycled key defensive 2nd/3rd banana under Scott; Jared Rivers or Lachie Henderson?

Jared Rivers - 44 games - 1-4 in Finals
Lachie Henderson - 57 games - 1-5 in Finals

I thought Rivers 2014 was first-rate.
Henderson had a very good stretch between 2016-17.

They've both been pretty forgettable for mine.

At the same time, teams who were in the 8 then but not now might have been harder to beat when we played them. Until the final 8 is known at rd 17, it's a dubious exercise to pick which teams are good and bad and whether our wins mean more than another teams.
Well I'll personally feel better when/if we beat some times that will likely play finals. Didn't expect this to be a controversial opinion. I'm not saying if won't happen and I hope it does!

That's why I like the idea of bringing in big Jenkins we need a shake up forward.
Need a tall capable of marking and kicking long goals along with all the smalls.
Time to get him on the park, playing scratch matches so he is ready to go.
Jenkins is tall, but he doesn’t play tall.

He is more HFF than Key Forward.

I notice we've only won one game against a side in the top half of the ladder as it stands. Simply must win games like this if we're serious this season
Yes 1-3 vs current top 8 with 3 to play. Haven’t played current 9th & 10th places teams that could play finals. 5 of our wins against teams likely not to play finals. If we beat saints I think they could still miss finals as they need to play Brisbane, eagles, GWS in the run home. Pretenders & contenders to be sorted out pretty soon.

Anyone know when the team gets announced? Hard keeping track of when they drop these days.

Apologies if it’s already in the thread, couldn’t see it though.

Anyone know when the team gets announced? Hard keeping track of when they drop these days.

Sunday, I’d have thought?

Speaking of KPDs - it's pretty much accepted that this is Taylor's last year, but has he confirmed that? Looks like he could easily go around again - been our most reliable defender this year.

Pretty sure he himself said he has not decided yet.

The day before the game i believe now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You wouldn't want to run into him tell you that!
Yeah he's fast too.
We depend on the backline far to much, example, the loss to WC.
We're lacking a bit of fwd power imo.
He doesn’t take contested marks. He doesn’t use his size in a physical way.

He has some uses, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves that he is a key forward, or really even a competent 2nd ruck.

For what we need, Rohan is a better option - at lest he puts forward pressure on and can create forward half turnovers.

They've both been pretty forgettable for mine.
Disagree about Henderson. His last 2 seasons have been forgettable because of injury but he held his own for 2-3 seasons so much so the talk on this board was what would we do with Harry Taylor

It's literally not incorrect though, we're 1-3 against teams currently placed 1st through 10th and 5-1 against teams 11th-18th
Hawthorn were in the 8 when we beat them, so you want to include them too?

I don't think we were disgraced against Collingwood or West Coast but facts are facts. We've had an easy run so far. You can only beat who you play but we've only really had one good scalp this season and we'll need to have a few more if it's going to be a good season. That's all my point is.
The position of teams we haven't played who are in the eight has nothing to do with Geelong or Geelong's formline.

It's like blaming Geelong for not getting sunny days like they do in the Gold Coast. They can only play against the team's they are are fixtured against, and we have beaten two top eight teams, and lost to two top eight teams.

Strange that you would define the situation in the only possible way that that you could read it negatively, don't you think?

Last edited:
I 100% agree, we weren't even that far off.
The WCE game had me nervous. After they'd disposed of Collingwood, I thought we'd be in for the same. Like the Richmond Prelim, didn't take our chances and they did. Plenty of kids still learning so hopefully it can all come together end of the year.

He doesn’t take contested marks. He doesn’t use his size in a physical way.

He has some uses, but we shouldn’t kid ourselves that he is a key forward, or really even a competent 2nd ruck.

For what we need, Rohan is a better option - at lest he puts forward pressure on and can create forward half turnovers.

Averages 2 goals a game over 147 afl appearances, l think you just might be a bit bias against the young fella.

Don't understand this logic. Surely the opposite is true? If an elite player goes out one year too early that means you are robbed of an elite talent player for an entire season. If they go on one year too long all it costs is a list spot for one year, then you get rid of them.

Because no-one, especially the athlete themselves, know just exactly when their game has left them behind.

Some retire whilst still playing well, and realise with time that perhaps they could've squeezed a few more games before falling off the cliff.

Others, much too often, allow ego to convince them that they've still got 'it' only to be embarrassed into retirement. Boxers are a good example.

Hence it's seen as better to err in favour of the first scenario than the second.

I am sure I heard somebody mention Henderson's speed the other day. Was a stat or a commentator. Who on earth was he playing against?! :straining:
I suppose my point was that Henderson should retain his spot and that other poorer performers could get dropped. Apologies for not making that clear.

Averages 2 goals a game over 147 afl appearances, l think you just might be a bit bias against the young fella.
How many of those goals have come from the goalsquare as a beneficiary of a “joe the goose”? He can run and has stamina, no doubt, but he is not a key forward.

No bias here, and he ain’t a young fella.

Adelaide gave him away for nothing. Adelaide. Think about that for a second.

I suppose my point was that Henderson should retain his spot and that other poorer performers could get dropped. Apologies for not making that clear.
Henderson has been exactly what we needed him to be - a depth player that every club needs through the grind of a season- can do a job when called on and not s**t the bed.

If he is best 22 in a big final, now that is when it becomes a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back